SPACECAMP (1986) - NEW! 2022 2-CD Intrada Records

Jay

Talking of Armin Steiner, is there a chronological list of JW's scores that he recorded? From trawling the OSTs on Discogs, I got this far:

1983: Lapti Nek (single)

1986: Space Camp

1987: Empire of the Sun

1987: Witches of Eastwick

1990: Presumed Innocent

1990: Home Alone

1991: Hook

1991: JFK

Have I missed any? Was there a clean break between Steiner being his go-to engineer and Shawn Murphy taking over (around 92-ish with Far and Away)?

Mark

There's two you missed that Steiner recorded

Amazing Stories - The Mission (and the Main Title)

Born on the Fourth of July

Steiner didn't record Empire of the Sun or Hook, at least according to their LLL booklets

Empire of the Sun's booklet says

• Recording Engineer Shawn Murphy
    • Original Album Remixed by Armin Steiner
    • Music Editor Ken Wannberg

Hook's booklet says

• Music Editor Ken Wannberg
    • Recording and Mixing Engineer Shawn Murphy
    • Assistant Engineer Sue McLean
    • Digital Editor Armin Steiner

Compare this to scores Steiner did record like Home Alone, whose LLL booklet says

• Music Recording Engineer & Scoring Mixer Armin Steiner
    • Music Editor Kenneth Wannberg

Or SpaceCamp, whose Intrada booklet (old edition) says

• Recording Engineer Armin Steiner
    • Remixed by Len Engel

If they could have told the story without the stupid robot (which made the film completely science fiction versus the hyperreality that I think they were going for), I could defend it.  But, to each their own.  One of my favorite childhood movies is Frog Dreaming, and I have never found another person who thinks its good.  

By the way, it is a pity, that no suite for this score ever found its way into the concert hall. But probably the film was not successful enough. But this is great material for something like that.

Suite from Spacecamp for solo cello and piano...

That would be nice.

This is a fun score and I'm excited to get the expansion!

I actually watched the movie recently for the first time specifically because I wanted to check out what music doesn't appear on the OST. By far, the unreleased fanfare when they arrive at the space station is the best missing music imo, but it'll be nice to hear the whole score now, and the film mix!

I did see on Wikipedia mentioning a few tracks made by Joseph Williams. Are they preexisting or made for the film? I don't imagine they're on the new release anyway.

I had a friend mention this as an underrated piece in JW's canon, so I'm interested in purchasing this eventually.

5 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

I did see on Wikipedia mentioning a few tracks made by Joseph Williams. Are they preexisting or made for the film? I don't imagine they're on the new release anyway.

I had a friend mention this as an underrated piece in JW's canon, so I'm interested in purchasing this eventually.

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Hey, I guess, this is actually the version of the endtitles that is as bonus track on my Jane Eyre bootleg.

I thought about it again. If the complete score presentation in the film mix

• is actually in chronological order (no endtitles in the middle)
    • and does not contain Training Montage

I probably would like to have that expansion.

5 hours ago, Tom said:

One of my favorite childhood movies is Frog Dreaming, and I have never found another person who thinks its good.  

Did you grow up In Australia?  I haven’t seen Frog Dreaming aka The Quest, but I am very curious about it.  Having grown up with E.T., my not so guilty pleasure is Cloak and Dagger (also starring Henry Thomas) which is getting a super deluxe 4K Blu ray this month. 

As for SpaceCamp, I reaaaally should watch my shrinkwrapped copy.  My line of work is associated with the subject matter, so it’s sort of inexcusable that I haven’t watched it. 

25 minutes ago, Andy said:

Did you grow up In Australia?  I haven’t seen Frog Dreaming aka The Quest, but I am very curious about it.  Having grown up with E.T., my not so guilty pleasure is Cloak and Dagger (also starring Henry Thomas) which is getting a super deluxe 4K Blu ray this month. 

As for SpaceCamp, I reaaaally should watch my shrinkwrapped copy.  My line of work is associated with the subject matter, so it’s sort of inexcusable that I haven’t watched it. 

No, I am American.  You should see the movie.  Obviously, it works best if see it first when you are a kid, but it has charm in spades, Henry Thomas and Rachel Friend have a believable innocent/coming-of-age chemistry, and the plot is clever.  It was free on Amazon a while back--not sure if it still is. 

Plus, if you are a Dr. Who fan, it has Katy Manning in it. 

I don't have much appreciation for this score.

I'll have a close listen to the existing edition and think about buying the new one. If I lived in the US, the choice would be easier but when you end up paying double due to taxes you start thinking very careful which scores really deserve a physical copy.

I'm in 2 minds about it to be honest. I have just got myself a copy of Instradas old edition. The thing is though, the comment about the end action cue has made me want to buy it!  You cant beat A good old Williams action music cue

3 minutes ago, Antonb said:

I'm in 2 minds about it to be honest. I have just got myself a copy of Instradas old edition. The thing is though, the comment about the end action cue has made me want to buy it!  You cant beat A good old Williams action music cue

Put it up for sale on Discogs or eBay as fast as possible - not every JW collector knows about the new release yet.

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Put it up for sale on Discogs or eBay as fast as possible - not every JW collector knows about the new release yet.

Thats a good idea! I might just do that cheers

19 hours ago, Tom said:

Actually, do we know that Joseph Williams worked on this cue? The melody and orchestration seem like pretty straightforward John. It's only the pop/disco/electronic arrangement/backdrop that might have required external help. We've discussed it many times before. If it's Williams solo doing it (unlikely), if it was any of his electronic collaborators, or if it is indeed Joseph. While I have no interest in this expansion, I would love to read the presumably new liner notes to see if the "Training Montage" credit issue has been cleared up.

43 minutes ago, Thor said:

Actually, do we know that Joseph Williams worked on this cue? The melody and orchestration seems like pretty straightforward John. It's only the pop/disco/electronic arrangement/backdrop that might have required external help. We've discussed it many times before. If it's Williams solo doing it (unlikely), if it was any of his electronic collaborators, or if it is indeed Joseph. While I have no interest in this expansion, I would love to read the presumably new liner notes to see if the "Training Montage" credit issue has been cleared up.

I've always believed it was John based on how the track sounds musically, so if it was all Joseph I will be shocked. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Actually, do we know that Joseph Williams worked on this cue? The melody and orchestration seem like pretty straightforward John. It's only the pop/disco/electronic arrangement/backdrop that might have required external help. We've discussed it many times before. If it's Williams solo doing it (unlikely), if it was any of his electronic collaborators, or if it is indeed Joseph. While I have no interest in this expansion, I would love to read the presumably new liner notes to see if the "Training Montage" credit issue has been cleared up.

I don't see, why the composition of that piece would require Joseph's or anyone's assistence. It is a clear composition, just with synthetic sounds instead of classical instruments. Nothing extraordinarily different stylistically or special noises or sounds.

14 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I don't see, why the composition of that piece would require Joseph's or anyone's assistence. It is a clear composition, just with synthetic sounds instead of classical instruments. Nothing extraordinarily different stylistically or special noises or sounds.

It's just that with what we know about Williams and what he has said about his work process (writing with pen and paper, being anti-technological, "antedeluvian" in his words), I find it unlikely that he did that synthetic backdrop himself. Nothing would please me more than if he had, but I doubt it. I remember being likewise disappointed when I learned that it was Joseph who had done the brief techno bit in A.I. I had somehow hoped it was senior. So yeah -- I'm curious if it was him, if it was Joseph or if it was someone else altogether. I don't believe anything has been confirmed as of yet.

Just now, GerateWohl said:

Somebody else might consult concerning soundcolors from the synthesizer, but that's it.

That's the person we're after. There's no doubt it's an original Williams composition, of course.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

It's possible he worked on the arrangement, but the composition is credited solely to John Williams. However, Joseph Williams contributed these two songs to the soundtrack:

On 9/5/2022 at 1:13 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

8 more minutes, including one particular highlight cue. Would you prefer the complete score never get released because there's so little to add? (Also, the film mixes are all totally unreleased and different from the Len Engel album mixes.)

Yavar

You are so wrong…Nine Minutes..What you smoking? 

Normally Intrada tells us a new title will be available to order Monday night, and it shows up on their website some time between 6pm EST and 9pm EST.  Then it starts shipping Tuesday morning.

This time they've told us it will be available to order Friday, so we should expect it to show up between 6pm EST and 9pm EST tonight.  Then it will start shipping Monday morning.

if a company says 13th on there website I'm stupidly thinking it will be sooner that day rather than later. I dont really care what hours they work or don't work. However thanks for sharing what you think or know! 

Might there be alternates? I'm currently listening to the Complete Jurassic Park for two Pianos arranged by Enguerrand-Friedrich Lühl Dolgorukiy. Christ what a name. He'd be better off with a number! Interesting album though. 

4 minutes ago, King Mark said:

it's not on SAE yet 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

we should expect it to show up between 6pm EST and 9pm EST tonight.

If you look at the timestamps on the right side, it looks like they've announced as early as 5:59pm and as late as 9:29pm over the past 2 1/2 years

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=3

I'll be on the road and will miss all the hoopla, but enjoy everyone!  

Pouring over a new tracklist and hearing new samples is always a blast!

Tracklist:

CD 1 THE FILM SCORE
    01. Main Title (3:10)
    02. The Jinx Connection* (0:31)
    03. Friends Forever (2:23)
    04. Training Montage (2:07)
    05. The Computer Room (1:55)
    06. Jinx Commits* (1:19)
    07. The Shuttle (5:10)
    08. In Orbit (3:19)
    09. Insufficient Oxygen (3:25)
    10. Arriving At Daedalus And Morse Code* (2:09)
    11. Viewing Daedalus (2:50)
    12. I Can’t Reach It* (1:51)
    13. Max Finds Courage (2:24)
    14. Max Breaks Loose (2:25)
    15. Rudy Comes Through* (1:38)
    16. Andie Is Stranded (4:13)
    17. White Sands (Film Version) (3:41)
    18. Re-Entry (4:00)
    19. Home Again (3:34)
    20. SpaceCamp (4:12)
    Total Score Time: 56:43

THE EXTRAS
    21. Main Title (Film Version)* (3:14)
    22. White Sands [Album Edit] (6:57)
    23. Home Again (Short Version) (2:44)
    Total Extras: 13:05
    Total Disc Time: 69:53
    *previously unreleased

CD 2 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK ALBUM
    01. Main Title (3:08)
    02. Training Montage (2:02)
    03. The Shuttle (5:05)
    04. The Computer Room (1:56)
    05. Friends Forever (2:22)
    06. In Orbit (3:15)
    07. White Sands (6:55)
    08. SpaceCamp (4:09)
    09. Viewing Daedalus (2:48)
    10. Max Breaks Loose (2:23)
    11. Andie Is Stranded (4:11)
    12. Max Finds Courage (2:22)
    13. Re-Entry (3:57)
    14. Home Again (3:33)
    Total Time: 48:36

Puzzled where there’s an album edit of ‘White Sands’ included in the extras, when the whole OST is on disc two.

Excited for this one!

5 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Tracklist:

CD 1 THE FILM SCORE
    01. Main Title (3:10)
    02. The Jinx Connection* (0:31)
    03. Friends Forever (2:23)
    04. Training Montage (2:07)
    05. The Computer Room (1:55)
    06. Jinx Commits* (1:19)
    07. The Shuttle (5:10)
    08. In Orbit (3:19)
    09. Insufficient Oxygen (3:25)
    10. Arriving At Daedalus And Morse Code* (2:09)
    11. Viewing Daedalus (2:50)
    12. I Can’t Reach It* (1:51)
    13. Max Finds Courage (2:24)
    14. Max Breaks Loose (2:25)
    15. Rudy Comes Through* (1:38)
    16. Andie Is Stranded (4:13)
    17. White Sands (Film Version) (3:41)
    18. Re-Entry (4:00)
    19. Home Again (3:34)
    20. SpaceCamp (4:12)
    Total Score Time: 56:43)

THE EXTRAS
    21. Main Title (Film Version)* (3:14)
    22. White Sands [Album Edit] (6:57)
    23. Home Again (Short Version) (2:44)
    Total Extras: 13:05
    Total Disc Time: 69:53
    *previously unreleased

CD 2 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK ALBUM
    01. Main Title (3:08)
    02. Training Montage (2:02)
    03. The Shuttle (5:05)
    04. The Computer Room (1:56)
    05. Friends Forever (2:22)
    06. In Orbit (3:15)
    07. White Sands (6:55)
    08. SpaceCamp (4:09)
    09. Viewing Daedalus (2:48)
    10. Max Breaks Loose (2:23)
    11. Andie Is Stranded (4:11)
    12. Max Finds Courage (2:22)
    13. Re-Entry (3:57)
    14. Home Again (3:33)
    Total Time: 48:36

Puzzled where there’s an album edit of ‘White Sands’ included in the extras, when the whole OST is on disc two.

Excited for this one!

Seems to me they put the complete recording on disc 1 (and original album on disc 2). As far as I understand every other track of disc 2 is on disc 1 too anyway.