SPACECAMP (1986) - NEW! 2022 2-CD Intrada Records

Jay

1 minute ago, King Mark said:

To be honest I don't remember any of the unreleased cues apart from the docking fanfare

It’s definitely the standout.

The sound sample reveals that the version in the film was edited down a bit, by 15 seconds or so. There’s several nice trumpet flourishes that were trimmed out!

30 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Puzzled where there’s an album edit of ‘White Sands’ included in the extras, when the whole OST is on disc two.

Film mix vs album mix

Roger's write-up

INTRADA Announces:

SPACECAMP
Composed and Conducted by JOHN WILLIAMS
INTRADA ISC 474

In composing the music, I’ve tried to express the exhilaration of this adventure in an orchestral
idiom that would be direct and accessible... speaking directly to the “heart” of the matter.

--John Williams

Intrada, in cooperation with ABC and Sony Music Entertainment, presents the long-sought expansion of John Williams' glorious score to 1986 feature film SpaceCamp. Williams' approach was to focus on the magic and mystery of space and the emotions surrounding the adventure of orbital flight. While strong conclusions to film scores are a rarity these days, Williams brings the adventure to a close with not one, but two thundering endings ("Home Again" and "SpaceCamp"). Interestingly, the beautiful, soaring style he brought to SpaceCamp is a style he carried over into the following years' Witches of Eastwick (the largely unused ballroom sequence) and parts of Empire of the Sun, before moving on stylistically. The original RCA program (issued twice by Intrada) was fairly comprehensive, save a handful of missing cues, the most striking omission being the "Arriving At Daedalus" cue, featuring a thrilling fanfare, distinct from any other part of the score.

For this release, producer Mike Matessino built the complete score program from Armin Steiner's original three-track film mixes, featuring a breathtaking and sweeping clarity to the score. This is featured on disc 1, along with three extras. Disc 2 presents the original RCA program as mixed for record by Len Engel from a newly mastered hi-res transfer of the 1/4" album master. Matessino also wrote the detailed liner notes within.

The film fits in with many other summer adventures of the 1980s, putting kids at the center and heart of the story. Here, a talking experimental robot instructs NASA computers to turn a shuttle engine test into a launch that will send teenaged astronaut trainees into space. Together they must get past their angst and work together to return home safely.

INTRADA ISC 474
Retail Price: $30.99
Barcode: 7 20258 54740 8
Starts Shipping 5/16
For track listing and sound samples, please visit https://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12523/.f

Doug's write-up

John Williams

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume ISC 474
Film Date: 1986
Album Date: 2022
Time: 118:29
Tracks: 37
Starts shipping 5/16/2022

Price: $30.99

Wow! Exhilarating John Williams soundtrack gets expanded release! A lot of hands former and past have been attached to this 1986 space travel adventure: ABC, RCA, Sony, 20th Century Fox, Disney all have some relationship to film or score… and Intrada, in 2-CD set fully-expanded and remastered from recently unearthed original 3-track mixes made by Armin Steiner at the original sessions. New stereo audio, mastered by Mike Matessino, is superb!

Harry Winer directs splendid cast of young stars Lea Thompson, Kelly Preston, Tate Donovan, Larry B. Scott, really young Joaquin Phoenix with grownups Kate Capshaw, Tom Skerritt working to keep them alive as they find themselves accidentally launched deep into outer space during an astronaut training program.

John Williams comes off his recently celebrated 1984 Olympic Fanfare music with his first score drawing on that rousing vernacular with powerful orchestral crescendoes for young astronaut challenges of limited air pressure, zero gravity, insufficient oxygen, re-entry dangers and whatnot. Wonders of space, mysteries of exploration are also captured in rich musical portrait which is equal parts the soaring E.T., the flourishing Star Wars and harmonious Howard Hanson. When inexperienced crew pulls together as team, accomplishes incredible return to earth, Williams unleashes one of his most powerful fortissimo finales of his amazing career, then tops it further with exuberant end credit music packed with rhythmic excitement. One of this legendary composer’s musical triumphs for sure! Real-life tragedy of January 1986 Space Shuttle Challenger disaster brought insurmountable challenge for film itself at the box office. 

Short-lived original RCA album of highlights was the last John Williams score not receiving a CD at time of release. Subsequent 1992 release from Japan is followed by Intrada CD in 2010 and reissue in 2014. Now entire score appears with first-ever release of masterful and exciting “Arriving at Daedalus” sequence, yearning “I Can’t Reach It”, moving “Jinx Commits”, more. Second disc preserves that classic original album as well.

Flipper-style cover art, informative notes from Matessino, handsome package design from Kay Marshall wrap everything up in nice bow. “It Started As A Dream..,,. It Became A Fantastic Adventure” was an advertising tagline of the day. It describes the long journey to get this definitive presentation of John Williams music available at last!

John Williams composes, conducts Hollywood Studio Symphony. Intrada Special Collection 2-CD set available while quantities and interest remain!

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

A lot of hands former and past have been attached to this 1986 space travel adventure: ABC, RCA, Sony, 20th Century Fox, Disney all have some relationship to film or score…

How about that: five different studios! No wonder it took a while to pull off this expansion.

Yay was hoping this would be one of the expansions from this year. I've only listened to the OST, so the film mixes are going to be interesting to hear as well as the unreleased bits, just hope that "Arriving At Daedalus" lives up to the hype!

I don't usually listen to the samples but decided to this time...I just listened to the OST pretty recently and wow there is a lot more clarity in these samples, and it doesn't have the hiss that is sometimes noticeable on the OST. 

7 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

Tracklist:

CD 1 THE FILM SCORE
01. Main Title (3:10)
02. The Jinx Connection* (0:31)
03. Friends Forever (2:23)
04. Training Montage (2:07)
05. The Computer Room (1:55)
06. Jinx Commits* (1:19)
07. The Shuttle (5:10)
08. In Orbit (3:19)
09. Insufficient Oxygen (3:25)
10. Arriving At Daedalus And Morse Code* (2:09)
11. Viewing Daedalus (2:50)
12. I Can’t Reach It* (1:51)
13. Max Finds Courage (2:24)
14. Max Breaks Loose (2:25)
15. Rudy Comes Through* (1:38)
16. Andie Is Stranded (4:13)
17. White Sands (Film Version) (3:41)
18. Re-Entry (4:00)
19. Home Again (3:34)
20. SpaceCamp (4:12)
Total Score Time: 56:43

THE EXTRAS
21. Main Title (Film Version)* (3:14)
22. White Sands [Album Edit] (6:57)
23. Home Again (Short Version) (2:44)
Total Extras: 13:05
Total Disc Time: 69:53
*previously unreleased

CD 2 ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK ALBUM
01. Main Title (3:08)
02. Training Montage (2:02)
03. The Shuttle (5:05)
04. The Computer Room (1:56)
05. Friends Forever (2:22)
06. In Orbit (3:15)
07. White Sands (6:55)
08. SpaceCamp (4:09)
09. Viewing Daedalus (2:48)
10. Max Breaks Loose (2:23)
11. Andie Is Stranded (4:11)
12. Max Finds Courage (2:22)
13. Re-Entry (3:57)
14. Home Again (3:33)
Total Time: 48:36

Puzzled where there’s an album edit of ‘White Sands’ included in the extras, when the whole OST is on disc two.

Excited for this one!

Insufficient Oxygen should be marked with a star, am I right?

The samples sound great, this might be a great new discovery for me :) 

Not sure about that alternate artwork though, it looks strangely low-resolution:

media.nl?id=39491&c=ACCT67745&h=VM0sGIOa

This score isn't for me, but I listened to the track 10 sample and had a familiar feeling of 'Williams left this off'?

Especially as the full score doesn't look much longer than the original album and I assume that cue is pretty prominent in the film. I just don't understand the man's mind.

6 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Insufficient Oxygen should be marked with a star, am I right?

No. That was on the OST as the first part of White Sands. 

https://chrono-score.blogspot.com/2010/08/spacecamp.html

1 hour ago, pete said:

Which track on disc one is the other part of White Sands OST track?  

Insufficient Oxygen. 

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33452-john-williams-ost-album-breakdowns/page/2/#comment-1861417

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Thanks, it wasnt there this morning

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

When will it be available for purchase at

music box?

If your ordering from overseas I would be reluctant to order from them just because there packaging is poor. My case was damaged when it arrived. I know it wasn’t when they posted it so really probably it’s down to the air company. However, I wouldn’t personally send a package overseas with so little protection around it.

That’s fine for you, I can only speak from my experience with my order.  Also the response I got when I contacted them was a bit sarcastic to say the least. I only commented that it might be better if they could send overseas orders with a bit more protection around the cd. And didn’t want to send it back or complain for that matter! The cds were fine inside. I was very polite ! 

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

Thank you for giving me something to listen to while I do my yard work today Maurizio!

3 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Damnit, @TownerFan, just when I thought I was catching up on the Legacy podcasts, you release yet another stellar episode!!! ;) (Keep 'em coming!!)

As a mega JW fan (father) and equally mega JW (son) fan, I was hoping the three songs JW composed and performed for the film would appear somehow. Did Joseph help with the score as well? Ala ROTJ? 

Joseph didn't help with the score of ROTJ, he just contributed to the source music. 

This release looks wonderful and I'm really looking forward to owning it! 

Maybe I'll revisit the film, too; I saw it once maybe 15-20 years ago and don't remember many details from it. 

On 14/5/2022 at 4:13 AM, Jay said:

Short-lived original RCA album of highlights was the last John Williams score not receiving a CD at time of release.

So the RCA 86 release was vinyl (and cassette?) only?

I’m surprised to hear that every post-86 JW score got a CD release at the time - wasn’t Witches of Eastwick unavailable for ages?

Mark

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

This release looks wonderful and I'm really looking forward to owning it! 

Maybe I'll revisit the film, too; I saw it once maybe 15-20 years ago and don't remember many details from it. 

I watched it for the first time last night.  I can see why you don't remember much from it, because it doesn't leave much impression, good or bad.   I was sort of hoping for a total 80's cheese-fest to keep me giggling, but it's somehow just... alright.  But what really struck me was how much better the score sounds and works outside of the film.  I now appreciate how really well done that album arrangement is.  In the film the music is mixed very, very low, and honestly there were rare moments where they let Williams' music take the center of attention.  The one exception being (you guessed it) the Daedalus cue!   The glorious White Sands is just buried under dialogue ...It's a very talky movie.  And then it abruptly ends.  Credits.

When we learned about Icarus and Daedalus in school, we pronounced it "DED-uh-lus".  In the film, they call it "DAY-duh-lus".  Looks like there's two accepted pronunciations.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

But why-hy-hy did they put Training Montage in disk 1? :banghead:

The same reason they put any of the cues on disc 1....

2 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

wasn’t Witches of Eastwick unavailable for ages?

It sold out.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

But why-hy-hy did they put Training Montage in disk 1? :banghead:

To make sure the score can only get better from there.

53 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

I've loved Banning Back Home ever since 1991. I also like much of Dave Grusin's music (yes, including Mountain Dance!).

There's more to life than just orchestral film music, y'know.

Exactly.

ONE OF A KIND is a great record.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yes. There's classical music, jazz, rock...

And don't forget the Spice Girls and New Kids on the Block.