SPACECAMP (1986) - NEW! 2022 2-CD Intrada Records

Jay

On 26/05/2022 at 8:08 AM, ciarlese said:

I am sure 99% of people here don't mind about the money needed to purchase a new MM edition of a JW score.

I am personally a fan of the new editions including the original album as well.

Surely there must be a few exceptions though... like JFK I really hope doesn't include the original album. Blech. (Same goes for Born on the Fourth of July, to perhaps a lesser degree...)

And I'm also good with how Presumed Innocent was done, presenting the unique album tracks at the end (the original album itself had some repetition).

Yavar

JFK and Catch Me If You Can are two scores that I would like to have bundled with the OST due to the great songs and source music. But man, I'm happy the expansion of Always abandoned those awful compilation of songs.

All the songs in CMIYC I was already very familiar with before the movie came out so I don’t really associate them with that movie like I might if it was how I first heard them.  So I always find them a bit jarring in the midst of the JW cues.

I clearly made the distinction!

2 hours ago, Stu said:

All the songs in CMIYC I was already very familiar with before the movie came out so I don’t really associate them with that movie like I might if it was how I first heard them.  So I always find them a bit jarring in the midst of the JW cues.

18 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Surely there must be a few exceptions though... like JFK I really hope doesn't include the original album. Blech. (Same goes for Born on the Fourth of July, to perhaps a lesser degree...)

I suspect JFK and Born on the Fourth of July will take the Always approach and won’t include the OSTs or the pop songs featured on those, especially since those are so readily available in the age of streaming, but may include album assemblies, like the new Presumed Innocent expansion.

My copy arrived today (I'm in the UK), and it's been a very happy day for me. I didn't see the movie on its release (and have never seen it since), but I remember standing in the HMV store on Oxford Street in London, inspecting the original soundtrack release, sighing, and putting it back in the rack because I just couldn't afford it. 

The Japanese CD and the first Intrada release came and went (money again), but I knew the time would come. And now here I am, 36 years later, listening to majestic JW music that I've never heard before... it's like stepping back in time, and having it at last feels almost like sending a gift to that 22-year-old kid in the record store. (Yet another gift, of course, from the maestro.)

This music is fantastic, the presentation is great, and I couldn't be more pleased :)

4 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

I suspect JFK and Born on the Fourth of July will take the Always approach and won’t include the OSTs or the pop songs featured on those, especially since those are so readily available in the age of streaming, but may include album assemblies, like the new Presumed Innocent expansion.

That’s what I want!

Yavar

53 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Oh, you ordered the sheet music?

No the direct-to-disc limited numbered vinyl edition ;-)

Finally got a chance to listen and really enjoyed this score in it's new expansion, Arriving At Daedalus did indeed live up to the hype and now I can join everyone in the "why was this left off the OST". But my question is, is there really much difference in the film mix to the album? Nothing leapt out as being that different, so is there anything people could recommend listening out for as far film/album mix is concerned?

10 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

But my question is, is there really much difference in the film mix to the album?

It’s slight, but definitely noticeable if you compare back-to-back. I’d characterize the film mix as slightly “more immediate” and the album mix as slightly “smoother”. But it’s minor enough I’m not sure I would notice if I’m not directly comparing on good headphones or speakers.

So now that I have it... That back tray image.

image.png

Are those crosses there part of the shot in the movie (maybe it's seen through some viewscreen or I dunno) or did our favourite professional designer or the printing plant forget to turn off a goddamn guiding layer? Right across from the terribly blown up lowres alternate cover that's an eyesore anyway?

I so often pull out the case and booklet for LLL releases just to flip through them while listening, see the artwork and get in the mood, even with Varese. I never get that urge with intrada, with their bland formulaic design and numerous fuckups and lazy covers. Maybe Jaws and Sleepy Hollow are the exceptions I can think of where it ended up having real personality.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

image.png

:lol:

Wow... that's... something else.

Either the printing company screwed up, or the files they were delivered accidentally left some layout guides turned on by mistake.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Wow... that's... something else.

Either the printing company screwed up, or the files they were delivered accidentally left some layout guides turned on by mistake.

And that's why I always don't order immediately.

I'll wait for version 2. ;)

But oh, the music itself... glorious! Never heard a note of it before the announcement of this but I'm loving it! Optimistically uplifting, gloriously breathing and soaring, elements or precursors of 90s, 2000s, even ST-era JW writing... my one worry midway through was there wouldn't really be action/tension/darkness to play the happy finale off of, but then just enough of that arrived too. Really liked the main program. The extras are pretty much filler but there's space to fill so no problem. Spent about 20 seconds skipping back and forth between the disc 1 and 2 main title and decided that was that, not gonna bother with it more - disc 1 sounds incredible, disc 2 in comparison is narrow, distant and flat.

4 hours ago, lairdo said:

Actually, that is an image of Atlantis as seen from the Space Station. The image is not from the movie. The marks are used to measure things in the image and are present in the original. That image shows something in the back of the payload bay of the orbiter, and in the film, the bay is empty. But, bizarrely, besides cropping the image, the artist actually flipped the direction of the craft (presumably to represent the sense of going back to earth as is the main drama of the 2nd half of the movie). You can see in the original image the clouds and coastline are the same, but the orbiter correctly points upwards in the process of docking.

space-shuttle-nasa-1b.jpg.webp

Just not sure why you wouldn't paint out the markers? There's no reason those needed to be left in the photo (especially if it was already being doctored in other ways, to reflect the film's plot).

Example:

852428008_paintedoutnotthathard.png

I think it just adds some realism to the whole thing since its all NASA related..

I grew up reading National Geographic/ Time  magazine. It had tons of similar pics.

This is probably what the studios PR dept provided to Intrada. So they cannot be blamed.

10 hours ago, lairdo said:

Actually, that is an image of Atlantis as seen from the Space Station.

It's actually a photo of Challenger... the shuttle that tragically exploded after lift off on its 10th voyage.

Slightly odd using a photo of Challenger for this album (and doctoring it to look like it's hurtling towards earth) considering the film's box office failure was largely attributed to that tragedy.

From my friend Wiki:

SpaceCamp received mixed reviews and is famous for being a "marketing nightmare," as it was released less than five months after the Space Shuttle Challenger accident of January 28, 1986 (although filming was completed before the disaster occurred) At the time of release, some thought the movie was trying to capitalize on the shuttle tragedy and should never have been released. However, those associated with SpaceCamp disagreed and added they had taken extra care to avoid any appearance of exploiting a national tragedy.

The film performed poorly at the box office, grossing less than $10 million in the US. The script was later adapted into a novel, which did include references to the Challenger explosion and some of the kids' decisions to attend Space Camp in the wake of said tragedy.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I finally listened to this release attentively, some thoughts:

1)Sounds fantastic. The sound quality upgrade is enough to buy this release

2)My favorite unreleased cue is Jinx Commits which I think it hauntingly beautiful. It's the prefect extension to The Computer Room reprising the theme. I don't remember the movie well but I suppose it scores the scene where Jinx reprograms the computer to launch the shuttle during the simulation. There's an ominous tone to the music that says "well intended robot makes catastrophic mistake" .

3)The Arrival at Daedalus cue should have been separate and the added material at the end a different track.

4)Track 12-16 are still a boring stretch to listen to 

This is a great release and what a fun score. It has an optimism to it that brightens my day. 

I was comparing the Main Title to the Main Title (film version) and aside from it being a different take/ different performance, I hear something else interesting: if you compare 2:22-2:40 or so on Track 01 Main Title, with the same spot in Track 21 Main Title (film version), there is a synth chord playing behind the trumpet solo present in Track 01, which is not present in Track 21 (or it's dialed so low that I cannot perceive it being there). 

The chord is most noticeable in between the trumpet's two phrases from 2:35-2:40ish, or in other words when the trumpet isn't playing. 

So, in my mind, although the difference is small, I see this as a little more than just an alternate take. 

EDIT: I turned it up a lot louder with my headphones on....maybe it's there in Track 21 as well, it's just a lot more present in Track 01. 

I remember the score in the cinema was really mixed loud, contrary to what some say. Check out The Computer Room and In Orbit in these clips

• 3 weeks later...

ScreenArchives told me today that SpaceCamp is out of stock while the label is having more copies made.

So my order will be SpaceCamp less :)

• 4 weeks later...

Can you believe I still haven’t received my copy of Spacecamp?

I ordered it 1 month ago.

image.png

image.png

Are they in financial difficulties?

I haven't received my copy yet either, because I didn't order it until Willow went up for sale and I did a big catch-up order with Willow, SpaceCamp, Matinee, and the Last Starfighter rebuild

I had no idea SpaceCamp would be MIA for so long at the time!  

It's frustrating, but it is what it is.