SPACECAMP (1986) - NEW! 2022 2-CD Intrada Records

Jay

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I haven't received my copy yet either, because I didn't order it until Willow went up for sale and I did a big catch-up order with Willow, SpaceCamp, Matinee, and the Last Starfighter rebuild

I had no idea SpaceCamp would be MIA for so long at the time!  

It's frustrating, but it is what it is.

I’m exactly the same but nice to have things to look forward to!

True!  I look forward to experiencing Matinee, a score I probably heard one time in the 90s after seeing the movie one time

On 28/08/2022 at 7:28 AM, Bespin said:

Can you believe I still haven’t received my copy of Spacecamp?

I ordered it 1 month ago.

On 28/08/2022 at 12:35 PM, Jay said:

I haven't received my copy yet either, because I didn't order it until Willow went up for sale and I did a big catch-up order with Willow, SpaceCamp, Matinee, and the Last Starfighter rebuild

I had no idea SpaceCamp would be MIA for so long at the time!  

On 28/08/2022 at 2:42 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

I’m exactly the same but nice to have things to look forward to!

I just got a shipping notice 1 hr ago

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Now, just a damn minute!

THOMAS AND THE KING is in-between RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK, and HEARTBEEPS???!!!

Rubbish! Do it, again, boy!

This recording was recorded and released in 1981. This is not the soundtrack to the 1975 original theatrical play.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Understood, but it was written in 1975.

Where did you put rerecordings of JAWS, MIDWAY, and SUPERMAN?

I put re-recordings in a separated section, after the compilations, and after the collabs.

20220910_141125.jpg

T&T is not a re-recording (it's the first and only one), it's a score written but not conducted by JW, like Chamber of secrets, Superman IV, None but the brave, etc.

On 21/05/2022 at 2:13 PM, Andy said:

I was pleased that Mike mentioned Home Alone’s Preparing the Trap when talking about Training Montage. I’ve long had the same opinion. Neither is more dated, it’s just that Home Alone is a more beloved film. 

I disagree.  The Home Alone themes are just a lot better and it feels much more like a film cue with orchestra taking the primary role and the electronics forming a rhythmic backbone.  Spacecamp in comparison feels like JW trying to write a Disco remix of his own music

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Yikes!  I just went to take the shrinkwrap off my copy and had a bitch of a time!  Anybody else encounter this?

Not with Spacecamp, Intrada one's are usually easy to get into, it's Lalaland releases (especially my recent Empire of the Sun) are a struggle to open.

Can anyone remind me what the difference is, if any, in performance between the OST disc and the film score?  I seem to recall Matessino saying on TLOJW podcast that it's all the same takes, but he wanted to preserve the original mix or something.  Since my Styrofoam ears can't usual discern mixing differences, I think that makes the second disc a museum piece for me.

With "Journey to the Island" on the new JP set, I was curious enough to actually rip both and compare them in Audacity, but I haven't made time for that yet with this score.

2 minutes ago, igger6 said:

Can anyone remind me what the difference is, if any, in performance between the OST disc and the film score?

You answer this in the very next sentence:

2 minutes ago, igger6 said:

I seem to recall Matessino saying on TLOJW podcast that it's all the same takes, but he wanted to preserve the original mix or something. 

Same performance.  Same takes.  Different mix.  The film mixes are by Armin Steiner, the album mixes are by Len Engel.

I'm late to the Setting the Trap/Training Montage debate, but it is interesting to compare them. Setting the Trap is by far my favorite of the two. It's still primarily an orchestral piece; it's just got the dated drum machine on top of it. I love the contrapuntal stuff, the usual JW harmonic interestingness, and the overall arc of the thing. Training Montage is all electronic, much simpler, and a lot more … static. I still enjoy it—dated isn't a problem—but there's a lot less to love, IMO. It feels more like the sort of electronic instrumental quasi-song cue you might find in any number of 80s movies, whereas Setting the Trap is still distinctly Williams.

On 20/09/2022 at 10:11 AM, Datameister said:

It feels more like the sort of electronic instrumental quasi-song cue you might find in any number of 80s movies

I even posted one of them a while back.

I just received my Spacecamp release.

I had a hard time taking the cd out of its case. I thought I would break it!!

Did anyone else had a hard time with this?

Also, when I play the cd with foobar2000 I can't seem to be able to get the tags for the tracks, while the Varese Presumed Innocent release showed them.

45 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I just received my Spacecamp release.

I had a hard time taking the cd out of its case. I thought I would break it!!

Did anyone else had a hard time with this?

Regular experience when I pick out a CD from a double CD case for the first time. Cafefully pulling and turning the CD then until it gets out.

Funnily it is always just an issue with the CD on the front side. With the second CD on the back side, I never have such problems.

5 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Funnily it is always just an issue with the CD on the front side. With the second CD on the back side, I never have such problems.

Oh, you're right! I tried the 2nd cd and it pulled out easily enough!

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/09/2022 at 12:12 AM, Bespin said:

T&T is not a re-recording (it's the first and only one), it's a score written but not conducted by JW, like Chamber of secrets, Superman IV, None but the brave, etc.

Recording? Schmeerecording!

You know exactly what I mean :lick:

Sabrina is now back in stock at Intrada, so just ordered that plus SpaceCamp. If you feel so inclined, do suggest which track from each I should listen to first when they eventually arrive...

4 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

If you feel so inclined, do suggest which track from each I should listen to first when they eventually arrive...

Why don't you listen to them as they are?

Well, I am a bit like that too. I don't like to delve into an expanded score without any guidance. Usually, I prefer to familiarize myself with the original soundtrack (OST) before exploring the expanded version. In the case of Spacecamp, if you have already listened to the OST, ChatGPT tells me that the score can be resumed in 10 "key" tracks like this. That seems not so bad! :P

1. Main Title
  2. Friends Forever
  3. Training Montage
  4. The Computer Room
  5. The Shuttle
  6. In Orbit
  7. Insufficient Oxygen
  8. Arriving at Daedalus and Morse Code
  9. I Can't Reach It
  10. Re-Entry

2 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Sabrina is now back in stock at Intrada, so just ordered that plus SpaceCamp. If you feel so inclined, do suggest which track from each I should listen to first when they eventually arrive...

You may even consider to listen to these albums as they are and then answer the question by yourself 🤔

Amazingly, I'm quite capable of listening to the discs in the order presented and making my own mind up. I was only asking out of interest if anyone had any particular tracks they liked that they might like to share a recommendation of. Sheesh.

(I did also say 'If you feel so inclined...', so those of you who weren't so inclined could have saved yourself the effort of posting a dismissive non-answer to my query)