Jump to content

SPACECAMP (1986) - NEW! 2022 2-CD Intrada Records


Jay
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Well, "probably" and "likely" still constitute a mystery to me. I always thought the cue sounded a bit like Vince DiCola at that time. But thanks for the run-down, shame no synth programming was listed in the liner notes.

 

And I still have a hard time understanding what exactly constitutes a mystery for you about this cue. It's a John Williams cue written in the pop style typical of that era. He did that because that's what he was asked to come up with for that scene. It's more than possible that some of the above-mentioned musicians came up with the keyboard sounds you hear, but that's more or less how JW always works when it comes to electronic timbres in his scores.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

 

And I still have a hard time understanding what exactly constitutes a mystery for you about this cue. It's a John Williams cue written in the pop style typical of that era. He did that because that's what he was asked to come up with for that scene. It's more than possible that some of the above-mentioned musicians came up with the keyboard sounds you hear, but that's more or less how JW always works when it comes to electronic timbres in his scores.

 

And I still have a hard time understanding why you can't see that something that is not 100% confirmed is a bit of a mystery? We can surmise that some of the musicians you listed helped in the programming of that cue, but if there is no specific person listed in the liner notes, it's just that - a guess. An educated, likely guess, but a guess nonetheless.

 

I've been curious about who did that particular aspect of that particular cue for decades now. For me, it's a mystery. I've always wanted it to be Williams himself, so that I could add another facet to his skill set, but from what he's said over the years, I've found it less and less likely (just as with the techno bit in A.I. that turned out to be Joseph). It's his composition, but I doubt it's his synth programming. I would like to know -- for certain -- who it is. I believe that is my right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

bloody hell, that seems like a very long time! It might be a little more than 2 weeks, but not much. 3 weeks max I would say. And that was over christmas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

really? weird. I must be lucky. They seem to fly directly from the states to London, and then from there to yorkshire. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Antonb said:

really? weird. I must be lucky. They seem to fly directly from the states to London, and then from there to yorkshire. 

 

I should relocate to Yorkshire then. 

 

Regarding ordering directly from Intrada, do they help you avoid customs charges?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well i paid 48.99 in dollars. I think i have to pay extra tax for the uk because of Brexit.

Just now, Antonb said:

Well i paid 48.99 in dollars. I think i have to pay extra tax for the uk because of Brexit.

All together I mean!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Antonb said:

really? weird. I must be lucky. They seem to fly directly from the states to London, and then from there to yorkshire. 

Not bad at all. Mine mostly end up going to London then across the channel to Guernsey although my latest parcel has taken a fun trip around California for a week before heading to New York…

 

 

4851B571-93BE-4D73-8952-959AE6B37720.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mine has taken a circuitous route from Oakland to San Jose to San Francisco to Anaheim to LA but will be delivered today.  Crazy postal service.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

 

Huh. My orders from LLL and SAE have taken 1 - 2 months since the start of the pandemic.

 

SAE has improved - my most recent order arrived today, two weeks after being shipped.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Antonb said:

Well i paid 48.99 in dollars. I think i have to pay extra tax for the uk because of Brexit.

All together I mean!

USA is not in the EU, Brexit hasn't changed custom duties to import goods from USA into UK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just picked it up from the mailbox and taking a listen!  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I expect it to be quite a while before I get to listen to this since I ordered from the Music Box Records and it takes time for them to get their shipment.

 

It's very interesting to hear, will the film mix of the score change my mind about this music as to my ears this score has always been somewhat middle tier Williams and the original album recording sounded somehow subdued and dispirited. I think the music would have benefitted from a wetter mix.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going to sit and read the liner notes shortly, then will rip and listen!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/5/2022 at 1:42 PM, Thor said:

 

And I still have a hard time understanding why you can't see that something that is not 100% confirmed is a bit of a mystery? We can surmise that some of the musicians you listed helped in the programming of that cue, but if there is no specific person listed in the liner notes, it's just that - a guess. An educated, likely guess, but a guess nonetheless.

 

I've been curious about who did that particular aspect of that particular cue for decades now. For me, it's a mystery. I've always wanted it to be Williams himself, so that I could add another facet to his skill set, but from what he's said over the years, I've found it less and less likely (just as with the techno bit in A.I. that turned out to be Joseph). It's his composition, but I doubt it's his synth programming. I would like to know -- for certain -- who it is. I believe that is my right.


There is no need to be so confrontational, pal. 
 

It’s not a mystery because it’s quite well known how John works with his keyboardists, so there is no big secret being kept in custody. If you listen to the talks I did with Ralph Grierson, Mike Lang or Randy Kerber, all of them tell precisely what is John’s methodology when dealing with synths and electronics. He sketches the synth line and  gives indications using words of reference. Lang referred themselves almost as “synth orchestrators” when doing that kind of work for him. I think it’s more than safe to assume that that’s how he did also in the case of Training Montage, sketching the cue the same way he always does and assigning lines to instruments etc. and then turning to his trusted musicians and having them coming up with the synth sound he was looking for. It must be noted that while the piece has electronic timbres and sounds, it’s mostly acoustic and played live for the most part. The big difference with the techno bit in AI that you mention is that in that case the fragment was something purely electronic and not something that John could or would sketch on paper. That is certainly something out of his realm and that’s why he has to rely on other people in cases like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

There is no need to be so confrontational, pal. 

 

Well, you started it by totally dismissing my experience of this as a 'mystery'. Information doesn't need to come with an arrogant attitude attached. You could just have said "I have access to the liner notes, and unfortunately there are no synth programmers listed. Instead, it lists the following musicians:" etc.

 

This cue, or rather its synth & drum machine backdrop, has been a mystery to me since I first got the soundtrack in the 90s, and I don't believe it is yours or anyone else's right to just dismiss that as some sort of stupid folly, which is how I read both of your posts. The 2010 Intrada release doesn't list any personell either (except the engineer etc.), and I have no access to the new liner notes.

 

I do agree with you -- now that you've listed some personell, and given what we know about Williams' work method -- that it is likely the programming was done by some of those. But we don't know for sure who it was. As you seem to have access to Mr. Mattessino, perhaps you could ask him if he has any more details on this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the Intrada samples were my first ever listen to a note of this score - thought it was OK enough, worth looking into more. The cues in the preview podcast peaked my interest, but now the samples in the proper podcast hyped me up and I can't wait to get it, no further pre-investigation necessary!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was pleased that Mike mentioned Home Alone’s Preparing the Trap when talking about Training Montage. I’ve long had the same opinion. Neither is more dated, it’s just that Home Alone is a more beloved film. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Andy said:

I was pleased that Mike mentioned Home Alone’s Preparing the Trap when talking about Training Montage. I’ve long had the same opinion. Neither is more dated, it’s just that Home Alone is a more beloved film. 

Both are dated, but different dates, there are other scores with cues that use that drum kit sound, like this Nick Bicat cue here at 2:54:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/5/2022 at 2:01 PM, Dr. Rick said:

it's our 22nd wedding anniversary today!  

 

Happy Anniversary!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 20/05/2022 at 1:15 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Regarding ordering directly from Intrada, do they help you avoid customs charges?

Yes, although I've only ordered one release from them at a time they always put the value of it at $5, I've never asked them to do this, but it does mean I don't pay custom fees. Lalaland always put the full value, but as it's again usually one release the value is still low enough to avoid custom charges.

 

On 20/05/2022 at 4:16 PM, Tom Guernsey said:

Not bad at all. Mine mostly end up going to London then across the channel to Guernsey although my latest parcel has taken a fun trip around California for a week before heading to New York…

 

 

4851B571-93BE-4D73-8952-959AE6B37720.jpeg

My last order from Lalaland took a similar trip, but went from LA straight to London, and being in Oxfordshire it usually only takes a day once it's cleared customs to get here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Yes, although I've only ordered one release from them at a time they always put the value of it at $5, I've never asked them to do this, but it does mean I don't pay custom fees. Lalaland always put the full value, but as it's again usually one release the value is still low enough to avoid custom charges.

 

Thanks. Does Intrada declare the shipping charge on the package, or do they give a total that omits the shipping charge? 

 

LLL has always been helpful avoiding customs - just ask them to label the package as a commercial sample.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

 

Thanks. Does Intrada declare the shipping charge on the package, or do they give a total that omits the shipping charge? 

You're welcome. Oh that's a good question, can't recall off the top of my head, definitely has the contents of the package as a cd and it's value at $5, but will get back to you once SpaceCamp arrives.

 

12 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

LLL has always been helpful avoiding customs - just ask them to label the package as a commercial sample.

Thanks for the head's up, didn't know that they'd be willing to do that so will have to ask next time.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Thanks for the head's up, didn't know that they'd be willing to do that so will have to ask next time.

 

 

That and the super sturdy packaging are the reasons I prefer ordering directly from them. Not the delivery times...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

 

That and the super sturdy packaging are the reasons I prefer ordering directly from them. Not the delivery times...

Yep, plus they're always willing to add extra bubble wrap so no more broken case's when traveling across the pond!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It is included. 

ok. I'm getting old and senile it seems. I am having a false memory of a soundtrack album that included the songs from the movie. No wonder everyone is looking at me with apprehension.  Here are the songs.

SpaceCamp (1986) - Soundtracks - IMDb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Jay said:

 

Stare Staring GIF

I deserve that.

 

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

That just shows songs used in the film.

Right. I just thought they were on an album at one point. Kinda like how Jerry Golldsmith had to share a soundtrack album with pop songs in the mid 80s. I'm clearly getting old.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jrauman said:

I just thought they were on an album at one point. Kinda like how Jerry Golldsmith had to share a soundtrack album with pop songs in the mid 80s. I'm clearly getting old.

 

Many movies in the 80's had that configuration. Superman III and InnerSpace (as you likely are remembering) for example plus many others with only 1-2 score tracks. Even Always has a number of songs before transitioning to score. SpaceCamp happily avoided this fate, perhaps in part that the songs are not very prominent and only in the first 40 mins of the movie.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.