Simon Franglen's AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER (2022)

LSH

I'll have to see it a 5th time now, just to focus on the things you mentioned. I just need more excuses to keep going to see it. 🤣

I do think Franglen really fits perfectly into Camerons way of working. Cameron seems so hands on and so dedicated to the details of scoring. Not just the act of getting a composer to write music, but the art of scoring; the fine art of matching the feel of a scene musically and the pacing of the music, and when to shine and when to disappear. Franglen seems so matched to that way of thinking. 

This score and film have hit me and fixed themselves so firmly into my mind like no other has for years. I'm loving exploring them.

I’m definitely going a 4th time but I’ll probably wait at least a month. I’m seeing LOTR2 extended and Titanic 3D in the coming month.

They showed the titanic trailer before Avatar which was pretty funny as both are Cameron movies.

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You're not satisfied with getting an expanded release?

The more I grow older, the better I understand public figures of all kind rolling their eyes at "the internet people".

At some point a few years ago, studios decided to release whole scores digitally, and release scores on double discs from the get go.

Did any of this get any, note any, thanks or cheer from movie fans? Nah, "where's this cue, where's that 10 seconds, where are the alternates, where are the SESSIONS?"

Some of you will only ever be content if composers streamed their recording sessions directly into your living room.

And even then you'll complain he didn't wave and said Hi.

I could envisage Horner writing quite a romantic, sweeping theme just for the whales, yeah.

I love the Kira and Leaving Home material in Franglen's score but I'm yet to pick up on his ideas for the whales (other than the big return cue). 

Well, the sequel is very much in the spirit of what Horner's sequel scores usually were - I am thinking of Star Trek III, The Legend of Zorro, An American Tail 2.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember Franglen had a big influence on Horner's later works, at least in terms of logistics. I am thinking of him using more modern tools on scores like Avatar, The Amazing Spider-Man and Southpaw. So there isn't that much of a stylistic jump overall as Horner's score got quite "modernised" in his final years.

Karol

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember Franglen had a big influence on Horner's later works, at least in terms of logistics. I am thinking of him using more modern tools on scores like Avatar, The Amazing Spider-Man and Southpaw. So there isn't that much of a stylistic jump overall as Horner's score got quite "modernised" in his final years.

Karol

From what I've gathered from many Franglen interviews, his job on Titanic (his first project with Horner), was figuring out how to make synthesizer mock-ups of Horner's writings, for future recordings with an orchestra, but they sometimes didn't manage to record them, because of having "no money" as Franglen put it. So the mock-up synthesizer stuff we hear in Titanic, is actually Franglens' work with Horner's written music.

With Avatar, he was brought on to give the electronic and synthetic sounds of the Pandoran Forest. So the exotic sounds you hear accompanying Horner's orchestral sound is Franglen.

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

I could envisage Horner writing quite a romantic, sweeping theme just for the whales, yeah.

I love the Kira and Leaving Home material in Franglen's score but I'm yet to pick up on his ideas for the whales (other than the big return cue). 

Franglen wrote the Tulkun (whale) theme for Payakan, heard in the piece 'Payakan.' That is mostly what is used as the theme for the Tulkun overall. Used quite dramatically and tragic in the piece 'The Hunt.' But Franglen also used the Underwater theme, heard in 'The Tulkun Return' for the Tulkun themselves in several scenes.

So Payakan's theme is for him mostly, but does join along with the Underwater theme to create an overall soundscape for the Tulkun whales.

On 22/01/2023 at 9:21 AM, crocodile said:

I do remember thinking particularly with TASM that it sounded remarkably modern and electronic for a composer who worked as old-school as Williams does. Hence I can easily believe that for those later projects Franglen was taking a big role in helping out with that.

5 hours ago, Mr. Who said:

I listened to the OST again and I realized that one of the best cues are missing from the OST: the cue that plays when Jake goes to face Quaritch, before Payakan shows up and the cue Na'vi Attack starts. The unreleased cue is a beautiful variation of the family theme sung by solo vocals and choir... I can't believe they didn't put it on the OST.

Yeah I noticed that. Lovely variation. Hopefully it's added to the physical score release.

Franglen spoke about how he wanted to create a more ethereal, smoother vocal for the underwater world with the Metkayina clan. He wanted to vocally distinguish the two worlds of the forest and the water, so he kept Horner's strong, harsh sounding vocals like "Kapa" etc in the choir for the forest Omaticaya, and then created a sort of siren song choir of long, seductive Na'vi singing for the Metkayina.  

You can really hear the difference when Franglen uses choir for Jake and Neytiri attacking at the end. The entire 2nd act underwater is flowing and gorgeous vocally, but when Jake attacks, the choir accompanying him is the more harsh and stabbing words of the forest.

When I was watching Avatar again the other weekend, I did notice some similarities in the score to the Living In The Age Of Airplanes score (which I love and have listened to many more times than Avatar).  Makes sense it was the same vocalist!

12 hours ago, NL197 said:

Graham Foote (and his ensemble) did the vocals for "Living in The Age of Airplanes", and then the "Pandora" attraction music, but he did NOT work on Horner's Avatar score in 2009. 

Correct, he definitely didn’t. 

FWIW - I’m pretty sure that the “ensemble” is a joke credit of sorts. I’m almost certain that LITAOA is just one voice stacked on top of itself (much like they did with Clydene Jackson and Terry Wood for Avatar), and from what I can find online, the “Graham Foote Ensemble” doesn’t seem to exist outside of this particular score. 

2 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Probably hearing things... but found this little melody from the first movie similar to Franglen's new theme.

Likely a coincidence, but my personal head canon says Franglen grew the family theme from that Horner moment haha. However, Franglen did reference those military drums at the beginning of the piece. He played them at the end when Jake was walking to Tonowari to tell him he's going to leave. 

I love that rendition of Jake's Theme as well at 0:55 in that Horner piece. It's a shame Franglen didn't use it more in The Way of Water. He does use it at the end and also hints at it throughout, but it's such a strong, heroic and versatile theme that Horner really develops well. But I understand the Family Theme taking the spotlight for story purposes.

I don't know if it has been pointed out already, but I noticed a melody that appears in at least 5 different cues, that I don't really know what it represents, but it seems to be a secondary theme for Jake's family based on where it plays. It could also be a theme for his kids and their friendship or something like that? I don't know, but I think it's an idea that Franglen will get to explore in future sequels.

It's first heard at the very end of "Rescue and Loss", at 6:05

In a joyous choral arrangement at 0:25 of "Friends"

then becomes mournful and tragic at 0:54 of "Eclipse" and at 0:39 of "Family"

and then appears in full in a lovely vocal arrangement during the first half of "The Spirit Tree"

Nice little discovery, which makes me appreciate the score even more!

54 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

I don't know if it has been pointed out already, but I noticed a melody that appears in at least 5 different cues, that I don't really know what it represents, but it seems to be a secondary theme for Jake's family based on where it plays. It could also be a theme for his kids and their friendship or something like that? I don't know, but I think it's an idea that Franglen will get to explore in future sequels.

It's first heard at the very end of "Rescue and Loss", at 6:05

In a joyous choral arrangement at 0:25 of "Friends"

then becomes mournful and tragic at 0:54 of "Eclipse" and at 0:39 of "Family"

and then appears in full in a lovely vocal arrangement during the first half of "The Spirit Tree"

Nice little discovery, which makes me appreciate the score even more!

I noticed this theme last time I listened to the OST but I have no idea what to name it! The Healing theme could maybe be a possibility. Maybe Franglen might answer if we ask on twitter.

I assumed the theme was for loss, considering it's used for the abduction of Spider and the loss of Neteyam, but yeah, it could be something we don't know yet. I'm sure he'd just answer "yes it's a theme for loss" etc, if that were the case, unless he was just joking around. 

I saw it for the 5th time today and noticed some things I didn't before. Like the incredible Family theme statement at 1:50 in 'Bad Parents' isn't in the film. At least I didn't notice it. During the fight sequence that it takes places in, that statement doesn't appear.

Also some really gorgeous piano writing throughout. E.g. a lovely moment after the final battle when Lo'ak is looking for Jake, and he and Spider dive under water on the Ilu to look for him in the wreckage of the sunken ship, and the piano descends with them. It's so colourful and full of texture for such a little riff, as the high piano notes trickle down like water. Very Horner too.

54 minutes ago, leeallen01 said:

Like the incredible Family theme statement at 1:50 in 'Bad Parents' isn't in the film. At least I didn't notice it. During the fight sequence that it takes places in, that statement doesn't appear.

This and the end of The Tulkun Hunt are the 2 most obvious and egregious Cameron hack jobs when comparing the score release to the dub in the film. Bad Parents in particular has been totally brutalised - it had none of the structure of the album release, and is much the worse for it. 

Yeah there's some hacking of pieces, but that's in every film and pretty expected, considering the 3 minute flow of an album piece doesn't always work in a film, as a films' sequence is never that perfect, and no doubt Franglen wrote some pieces before Cameron decided some last minute editing choices that destroy the pieces flow. But I do imagine what incredible scene that moment would score. It would've been wonderful.

Franglen said that the original Tulkun Hunt cue was 7 minutes (not including the Hometree re recording part). The scene changes though so the final version is shorter. I guess in a few cases the edit might have changed after the cues were recorded or he just wanted the music to hit the cuts differently in those cases. 

6 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

We just had someone in the news in my country who went more than a 100 times. So 6 doesn't seem that much. Haha

How is that even possible... that's like twice a day since it came out. 

I better up my game.

2 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

Just saw it for the 6th time (I know lol) and I really loved the alternate Na'vi Attack cue that is in the film. After Payakan goes badass and lands on the ship, it's different than the score piece, with an incredibly badass build-up to when the Metkayina start their attack run. And also, my god (or should I say Eywa) I really want that soft voices female choir rendition of the Family Theme as Jake is giving himself up and Neytiri is pleading with him. Gorgeous. Also the Darkness and Light cue begins differently in the film with more piano build up before the melody begins on Cello.

Awesome! I’ve seen it three times so far and am going to go at least once more. The choir je you mention is probably my favourite missing cue. It’s a real shame that it wasn’t on the ost. Franglen said that the original version of that cue is much longer and that just a part of it was used in the film.

I'm begging for some kind of complete recordings. That's extremely unlikely, but I'll take a few extra pieces in a collectors edition or film versions of the tracks as an alternate; like 'Na'vi Attack' and 'Na'vi Attack alternate' for example.

Not sure if this link will work, but JoAnn Kane Music Service just posted this score page from Franglen's score: 

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0ezCDWTmMGZH9cJoSYDAG73GZSwQGeMYevNCnasarwb7kNnV8eVNKJPWaUfxker62l&id=100063692612491&mibextid=5zvaxg

Here's a screenshot of it - Does anyone recognise this being from any particular album track?

Screenshot 2023-02-11 at 10.59.23.png