Nami Melumad's STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS (2022)

sayhello

Hi all! Been a lurker for a while, but I noticed a lack of a thread for this show's score so I wanted to start some discussion. 

That out of the way - I found this by chance on YT and I think given what we've heard of the score so far it's probably legit... but it was uploaded in 2020 :blink: ... wonder how that happened? Was there a score preview that far in advance that I didn't know about?

No.

Nami Melumad Scoring Paramount+’s ‘Star Trek: Strange New Worlds’

Nami Melumad (An American Pickle, Absentia, The Woman in the House Across the Street from the Girl in the Window, Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond) is the score composer of the upcoming Paramount+ original score Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. She has been recording her score for the show’s first season over the last couple of months in Los Angeles. Jeff Russo (Star Trek: Discovery & Picard, Fargo, Legion) has composed the main and end titles music. The Discovery spin-off is based on the years Captain Christopher Pike manned the helm of the U.S.S. Enterprise and stars Anson Mount as Captain Christopher Pike, Rebecca Romijn as Number One and Ethan Peck as Science Officer Spock. Akiva Goldsman (A Beautiful Mind, The DaVinci Code) wrote the series premiere based on the story by himself, Alex Kurtzman & Jenny Lumet (Star Trek: Discovery & Picard). Goldsman (who also directed the first episode), Kurtzman & Lumet also executive producing the CBS Studios, Secret Hideout and Roddenberry Entertainment production with Alonso Myers, Heather Kadin, Frank Siracusa, John Weber, Rod Roddenberry, Trevor Roth and Aaron Baiers. Melumad has previously scored the animated series Star Trek: Prodigy, which has been renewed for a second season, as well as an episode of Star Trek: Short Treks. Star Trek: Strange New Worlds will premiere on May 5, 2022 on Paramount+.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/02/11/nami-melumad-scoring-paramounts-star-trek-strange-new-worlds/

Paramount+ put the entire first episode up on youtube (probably geolocked to the USA only)

I was quite surprised to know that the end credits music is also by Jeff Russo.

The opening titles is mediocre and bland at best (like all Russo's opening titles for previous Kurtzman ST), but the end credits cue is far more energetic and vibrant. 

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hopefully an album is forthcoming

She tweeted a few weeks ago that a release will happen once the season finished.

I've been trying to put my finger on it. Since I'm bouncing between SNW, Discovery, and Deep Space 9 I certainly have ground for comparison. (And TOS never really leaves my mind.)

It feels more present than any of the Berman era Trek. It also feels more melodic and less rhythmic than Russo's Discovery / Picard. I still can't hum any of it but maybe that will change when I get an album.

Even if it doesn't turn out to be anything I want to hear on it's own I'm very happy with its use in the show.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

How is Melumad's scores in these episodes?

Hopefully an album is forthcoming

I still don’t have a way to watch it but the big question is, is the music as good as The Orville? ;-)

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I still don’t have a way to watch it but the big question is, is the music as good as The Orville? ;-)

Of course not but it's the best live action Trek TV music there's been since Enterprise, at least (and hell maybe since Ron Jones left TNG).

I might still prefer Chris Westlake's work on Star Trek: Lower Decks though.

Yavar

2 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Of course not but it's the best live action Trek TV music there's been since Enterprise, at least (and hell maybe since Ron Jones left TNG).

I might still prefer Chris Westlake's work on Star Trek: Lower Decks though.

Yavar

Hehe I didn’t think so, even though there’s no reason it couldn’t be as good… nobody lets composers loose on tv as much as Seth!

And yeah Lower Decks is great, especially the TWOK parody. Did the album released cover both seasons to date? I can’t recall. 

4 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

And yeah Lower Decks is great, especially the TWOK parody. Did the album released cover both seasons to date? I can’t recall. 

Well it's titled Volume One so seems not.

It appears I'll need to check this out.

Actually the Volume One album *does* include some season 2 Lower Decks music, because it came out so long after the release of the first season of the show! And I'll be honest...it's excellent scoring but a super frustrating album, with cues jumbled up totally out of order and NO narrative thread, musically. Some time I'll have to attempt a chronological playlist, which I think would really benefit this (imagine if LLL jumbled up the cues on an Orville soundtrack release, presenting everything totally out of order!)

Here you go @JTWfan77:

And yes, the regular series scoring is that good too -- it's very consistent. And there are sometimes HILARIOUS direct references to great pre-existing Star Trek music...check out this clip from the show starting around 1:24:

Or this clip from the same episode (starting around 45 seconds in):

Yavar

We just watched Memento Mori and while certainly not a TOS pastiche, there are some very TOS sounding licks. I'm starting to look forward to getting some sort of score collection to this show.

The music so far has been serviceable, noticable in the mix, but nothing has stuck out to me. I'll try to tune into the music more going forward, but it hasn't grabbed my ear in a good way or bad way so far.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
10 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Any news on an album release? Surprising that one hasn't materialised yet!

Nami once said an album was coming on Nov.18. Jeff Russo also said an album was forthcoming. But here we see nothing. 

IIRC Nami once said on her twitter that a release was delayed and the things have gotten out of her hand. 

Lakeshore would be the label if a release would come. 

14 minutes ago, Jaaaackified said:

Nami once said an album was coming on Nov.18. Jeff Russo also said an album was forthcoming. But here we see nothing. 

IIRC Nami once said on her twitter that a release was delayed and the things have gotten out of her hand. 

Lakeshore would be the label if a release would come. 

Good to know... from what I've heard of her work elsewhere, I'm pretty optimistic. I can't say the main theme (by Jeff Russo) massively excited me, I file it under "themes that never quite get going", but hopefully there's some good underscore to enjoy, even if I'm not expected Orville level! Still need to watch the actual show though... perhaps I will have to succumb to Paramount+.

I keep thinking "I want to watch Star Trek" and a voice keeps saying "Watch SNW again." I'm sure at some point I will. But I've already watched it twice. It's like "What if Star Trek were the size of Firefly?"

• 1 month later...

Is there any viable channels that give some replies on when will the soundtrack drop? 

I mean we desperately want one for Orville S3 and we have replies from the composer and the soundtrack producer from time to time at least. Asking Lakeshore (presumably the distributor) is almost certainly a long shot and Nami nowadays seems to only tweet (and answer) ST: Prodigy-related things. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We're rewatching again as a family. DAMN this show is good.

I have to say, the music really stands out. I don't know if this is because it's trying to sound like a 60's TV show or if this is just the way the composer wants to write it. (Both?) But the way it hits dramatic reveals or commercial breaks is really kind of a throwback. And I miss this kind of music so much! It sounds like music on purpose.

• 4 weeks later...

vs-4.png

1. Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Main Title Theme) – Jeff Russo (1:51)
2. Everyone Wants a Piece of the Pike (3:50)
3. Put a T’Pring On It (2:56)
4. Eyes on the Enterprise (4:42)
5. Home is Where the Helm Is (4:16)
6. Space Cadet (1:01)
7. Comet Away With Me (2:36)
8. Romancing the Comet (3:23)
9. M’hanit and Greet (7:00)
10. Since I First Saw the Stars (3:54)
11. A Holding Pattern (4:44)
12. Gorn With the Wind (5:29)
13. The Pike Maneuver (2:03)
14. Gorn But Not Forgotten (3:24)
15. Are You a Vulcan or a Vulcan’t? (2:59)
16. Spock Too Soon (2:03)
17. Chris Crossed (3:43)
18. Looking For Ascension in All the Wrong Places (3:04)
19. Ascent-ial Questions (2:01)
20. T’Pring It On (1:42)
21. Pirates in the Sky (2:54)
22. Will You Be My Vulcantine? (2:45)
23. Won’t You Be My Pirate? (3:38)
24. You’re My Mercury Stone (2:04)
25. Don’t Leave in Uhurry (2:54)
26. When the Hemmer Falls (4:09)
27. No One’s Ever Neutral About Spaghetti (2:53)
28. Throw Plasma from the Train (5:28)
29. Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (End Credits) – Jeff Russo (0:57)

https://filmmusicreporter.com/2023/04/20/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-soundtrack-album-details/

The puns!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

vs-4.png

1. Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Main Title Theme) – Jeff Russo (1:51)
2. Everyone Wants a Piece of the Pike (3:50)
3. Put a T’Pring On It (2:56)
4. Eyes on the Enterprise (4:42)
5. Home is Where the Helm Is (4:16)
6. Space Cadet (1:01)
7. Comet Away With Me (2:36)
8. Romancing the Comet (3:23)
9. M’hanit and Greet (7:00)
10. Since I First Saw the Stars (3:54)
11. A Holding Pattern (4:44)
12. Gorn With the Wind (5:29)
13. The Pike Maneuver (2:03)
14. Gorn But Not Forgotten (3:24)
15. Are You a Vulcan or a Vulcan’t? (2:59)
16. Spock Too Soon (2:03)
17. Chris Crossed (3:43)
18. Looking For Ascension in All the Wrong Places (3:04)
19. Ascent-ial Questions (2:01)
20. T’Pring It On (1:42)
21. Pirates in the Sky (2:54)
22. Will You Be My Vulcantine? (2:45)
23. Won’t You Be My Pirate? (3:38)
24. You’re My Mercury Stone (2:04)
25. Don’t Leave in Uhurry (2:54)
26. When the Hemmer Falls (4:09)
27. No One’s Ever Neutral About Spaghetti (2:53)
28. Throw Plasma from the Train (5:28)
29. Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (End Credits) – Jeff Russo (0:57)

https://filmmusicreporter.com/2023/04/20/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-soundtrack-album-details/

The puns!

Looking forward to this. I say it again. Jeff Russo must have a good agent managing to get such an unnecessarily complicated and long credit for less than 3 minutes of (not massively inspired) music. 

15 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Looking forward to this. I say it again. Jeff Russo must have a good agent managing to get such an unnecessarily complicated and long credit for less than 3 minutes of (not massively inspired) music. 

Look at his credit for season 3 of Picard!