Ms. Marvel - Laura Karpman

JNHFan2000

I like this a lot. I thought her score for What If...? was amazing.

And now she can write a theme for Kamala and use it in The Marvels.

Great stuff

I called this!  ....not that it was hard to predict :P 

On 20/04/2022 at 11:02 AM, Stu said:

They haven't announced a composer for Ms. Marvel yet have they?  Conceivably Holt could be doing that score now.  Although I'd been assuming it would at least be led by Laura Karpman since she was announced as scoring The Marvels next year.

• 3 weeks later...

Suite for Ms. Marvel will be released tomorrow.

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/ms-marvel-suite-from-ms-marvel-single/1627825896

I love world music and this sounds great. The mix between big orchestral and the Pakistani drums, instruments & vocals to me is amazing. Very excited about the whole series & score

2 hours ago, Brónach said:

if only the writing, pacing and directing killed it

Speaking just for myself, in terms of Phase 4 of the MCU I've actually preferred the Disney+ shows to the theatrical films, most of which have felt rushed in a bad way (and too much emphasis on effects/action sequences rather than character). Even the worst Disney+ show (The Falcon and the Winter Soldier) had some great ideas and character development among the annoying things.

I liked Shang Chi a lot (though the third act much less than the first two), and I enjoyed Spiderman: No Way Home, but the other Phase 4 cinematic films have been disappointments, for me (including Doctor Strange 2, which I had a great deal of anticipation for). I'd much rather rewatch WandaVision, Loki, Moon Knight, or even Hawkeye before rewatching them.

Yavar

I like this a lot more than Karpman’s What If music (which was fairly uninteresting aside from the existing themes).

Karpman's music is very interesting throughout the 1st episode. It has a lot of different elements but it all works really well.

She used Toprak's Captain Marvel theme when the character is showed in statue form. Nice touch! Glad to hear the thematic continuity here (if not in other MCU projects)

The 1st episode itself was a lot of fun. Iman Vellani is instantly likeable as Kamala Khan. She's very natural in the role, which is a joy to watch.

The way she gets her powers is cool and I can't wait to see more of it.

The actors portraying her family all made big impressions on me and I hope we keep seeing them throughout the series. They really are the core of the episode next to Kamala and her friend Bruno.

The directing was so much fun. The animation throughout the episode really added a lot to the whole astethic of the show. I was immediatly hooked. Excited for the rest of the season. And it'll be interesting to see how big they will go.

Nice really liked the first episode and its score. Really think Karpman is a really good addition to the MCU scores she handles quiet cleverly each already existing heroes themes while crafting a really nice score next to them and some great new themes

9 hours ago, LewWho95 said:

Supports my theory that how many soundtrack albums a Disney+ series gets is entirely down to the composer 

Indeed. I think so as well. Based on what we got in the past the composer probably gets 3 options

- Album for every episode (Mostly with series of more than 6 episodes)
- 2 volumes (done for 6 episode series)

- 1 album ( only done once for Moon Knight)

I approve of this score by the way, it's enjoyable

As for the first episode of the show, everybody seems very happy but I haven't seen it yet. I remember that I started reading this one from "the beginning" (I was more tolerant of teen stories back then) and I stopped after like ten issues (I also thought the typical Marvel artist changes are way too annoying). From the previews of this, the only thing I lament is that they changed her powers, since the comic powers have an element of graphical humor to them which worked really well there.

5 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Indeed. I think so as well. Based on what we got in the past the composer probably gets 3 options

- Album for every episode (Mostly with series of more than 6 episodes)
- 2 volumes (done for 6 episode series)

- 1 album ( only done once for Moon Knight)

Sounds like Obi Wan is also getting the Moonknight treatment

5 hours ago, Brónach said:

I approve of this score by the way, it's enjoyable

As for the first episode of the show, everybody seems very happy but I haven't seen it yet. I remember that I started reading this one from "the beginning" (I was more tolerant of teen stories back then) and I stopped after like ten issues (I also thought the typical Marvel artist changes are way too annoying). From the previews of this, the only thing I lament is that they changed her powers, since the comic powers have an element of graphical humor to them which worked really well there.

I wasn't sure about the power change. But it works really well.

They still use the 'stretchy' aspects of her powers but now it's just the purple magic. It makes sense in the story they're telling and the world and other characters she belongs to, like Captain Marvel & Monice Rambeau.

And I think with Reed Richards coming they didn't want their powers to be the same, which they basicly are

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen the first two episodes now (sadly all that's out), and I LOVE this show, and its music. Just wonderful. Sad that a bunch of review-bombing trolls have made it the lowest rated MCU show on IMDb, because it is honestly one of the best. Love the cast (especially the whole Khan family), the creative direction, the eclectic score... love EVERYTHING about this show.

My one little niggle about the score is that the main theme/motif reminds me of the beginning of a long-lined theme from Nami Melumad's Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond. But I'm sure that's just one of those musical coincidences that happens sometimes (like Broughton's Shadow Conspiracy/Young's Hard Rain/Callery's 24).

Yavar

• 2 weeks later...

Planning on finally listening to these OST albums this week.

Is it known which tracks come from which episodes?

Yes. I've made a breakdown.

Vol. 1 

Episode 1: 1 - 8

Episode 2: 9 - 14

Episode 3: 15 - 25

Vol. 2

Episode 4: 1 - 15

Episode 5: 16 - 30

Episode 6: 31 - 49

I've made a chronological order as well. Some tracks are not completely in the right place. I'll post that later or tomorrow.

I don't know where the 2 songs go, but I deleted them from my playlist.

Ms. Marvel Volume II, Track 50, "Bed of Roses", is the Bon Jovi cover performed by "Brown Jovi" at the wedding in episode 3. In the episode it is immediately followed by "Living On A Prayer" by the real Bon Jovi, and then by track 23. "Blitz" from the Ms. Marvel Volume I album.

Track 51, "Aavengi" is the song heard during the first part of the end credits of episode 6. It plays between tracks 48 "On a Lamp Post" and 49 "Who...Is...That...!!"

The second half of the end credits on all six episodes is the first 2.08 minutes of the Ms. Marvel Suite (track 1 from Volume I). Does anyone know if and/or where the rest of the suite was heard in the series?

Thanks so much, JNHFan2000. After starting to correct my playlist according to your list, I ended up watching episode 1 again and figuring out all of the source music as well. I hope you don't mind, but I have a couple of small corrections for your work:

Episode 1

1. Figure Out Your Life (0:42- end)
  2. Figure Out Your Life (0:00 - 0:42)
  3. Mysterious Parcel (0:00 - 0:31)
  4. Mysterious Parcel (2:41 - end)
  5. Sure They Do
  6. The Plan
  7. Siren Call
  8. The Save (0:00 - 4:28)
  9. Cosmic
  10. The Save (4:28 - 5:20)
  11. Ms. Marvel Suite

As you indicated, only the beginning and the end of Mysterious Parcel is heard in the episode.
Still can't figure out where the back half of the Ms. Marvel Suite plays in the series, if it does at all. 

And here's the music from the first episode including the source music:

Episode 1 Generation Why

1. The Weeknd - Blinding Lights
  2. Wallows - I don't Want to Talk
  3. Bombay Beats - Disco Gully
  4. S.P. Balasubramaniam and Aaryan Dinesh Kanagaratnam - Oh Nanba
  5. Figure Out Your Life (0:42- end)
  6. Riz Ahmed - Deal With It
  7. Figure Out Your Life (0:00 - 0:42)
  8. The Linda Lindas - Oh
  9. Mysterious Parcel (0:00 - 0:31)
  10. Ahmed Rushdi - Ko Ko Koreena
  11. Hot Sugar - Sinkies
  12. Mysterious Parcel (2:41 - end)
  13. Sure They Do
  14. The Plan
  15. Siren Call
  16. The Star Spangled Man Singers - Star Spangled Man
  17. Saint Motel - My Type
  18. Nahid Akhtar - Sohniye I Love You
  19. Samuel Pegg - Proudly Presents
  20. The Save (0:00 - 4:28)
  21. Cosmic
  22. Eva B. - Rozi
  23. The Save (4:28 - 5:20)
  24. Ms. Marvel Suite (0:00 - 2:08)

I have finally figured out where the second half of the Ms. Marvel Suite from Volume 1 plays (starting from 2.12 minutes): during the first half of the end credits to episode 4. There are a couple of slight differences between the version on the OST and the one heard in the episode, but it is definitely the same track. This is the only episode that doesn't feature a pop song during the animated portion of the credits, so it's possible that Laura Karpman composed the version that is part of the suite for an earlier episode. 

Episode 2 Crushed

1. Marvel Studios Fanfare by Michael Giacchino (this is the only episode to use it)
  2. Mase - Feel So Good
  3. Krewella x Nervo feat. Raja Kumari - Goddess
  4. Mia feat. Timbaland - Come Around
  5. About Last Night (0:00 - 0:53) (remainder is unused in episode)
  6. Bi-Stew - Keep on Movin'
  7. Tesher - Jalebi Baby
  8. Swet Shop Boys - Anthem
  9. The Ronettes - Be My Baby
  10. Bathroom Confab
  11. Ritviz - Sage
  12. Atif Aslam Afzal - Aye Khuda
  13. Trail Of Stars
  14. PayAttention - Attitude
  15. Husan and Bhangra Knights - Husan
  16. Damage Control
  17. Hard Landing
  18. Flee The Scene
  19. Hasan RAheem, Justin Bibis and Talal Qureshi - Peechay Hutt
  20. Ms. Marvel Suite (0:00 - 2:08)

Episode 3 Destined

1. Another Season (1:17 - end) (plays over the Marvel Studios logo)
  2. Digging In The Dirt
  3. Sink
  4. Bad Things Happen
  5. Questioning
  6. Good News, Bad News
  7. Sidhant Kapoor and Madhu Roy - Mehendi Rachnewali
  8. Lata Mangeschkar & S.P. Balasubrahmanyam - Joote do Paise Le Lo
  9. A Thing You Do
  10. Circle Q Score
  11. Bonding
  12. Khanvict - Closer
  13. A.R. Rahman, Khanvict, Chinmayi, Murtuza Khan and Quadir Khan - Tere Bina (Khanvict Remix)
  14. Not Asking Anymore (0:00 - 0:41)
  15. Ritviz - Thandi Hawa
  16. Asha Bhosle - Yeh Mera Dil Yaar Ka Diwana
  17. Pritam & DJ Hot American - Hadippa
  18. Bed of Roses (Indian Mix)
  19. Bon Jovi- Livin On A Prayer
  20. Not Asking Anymore (0:41 - 0:end)
  21. Blitz
  22. Showdown
  23. Homecoming
  24. Memba - For Aisha
  25. Ms. Marvel Suite (0:00 - 2:08)

Episode 4 Seeing Red

1. Raaginder - Summer Nights
  2. Indian Drummers
  3. Bahon Mein Aa Gori (overlaps with 9 other songs during airport scene and is almost impossible to hear in the episode)
  4. A-Zal, A Khan and Farad - Dheemi Dheemi (overlaps with 9 other songs during airport scene and is almost impossible to hear in the episode)
  5. Aroh (Ever Growing) (overlaps with many other songs during airport scene and is almost impossible to hear in the episode)
  6. Sidhant Kapoor - Jashn Ki Shaam (overlaps with many other songs during airport scene and is almost impossible to hear in the episode)
  7. Come Around (Main) (overlaps with many other songs during airport scene and is almost impossible to hear in the episode)
  8. Ali Khan Band - Punjabi Rockers (overlaps with many other songs during airport scene and is almost impossible to hear in the episode)
  9. Sun SUn Dil Di Pukaar (overlaps with many other songs during airport scene and is almost impossible to hear in the episode)
  10. Baajare Da Sitta (Yip Wong Remix) (overlaps with many other songs during airport scene and is almost impossible to hear in the episode)
  11. Move With It (overlaps with many other songs during airport scene and is almost impossible to hear in the episode)
  12. Arrival (0:00 - 0:51)
  13. Talal Qureshi feat. Naseebo Lal - Aag
  14. Arrival (0:52 - end)
  15. It's Genetic
  16. Ali Sethi x Shae Gill - Passori
  17. Somewhatsuper Abid Brohi - The Sibbi Song
  18. Karachi Station
  19. Friend Or Foe
  20. Nazia Hassan - Disco Deewane
  21. Hassan & Roshaan - Doobne De
  22. Stove (0:53 - end) 
  23. Two Worlds
  24. Getaway
  25. Blood And Pain (album version features alternate music)
  26. Musarrat Nazir - Mera Laung Gawacha (Dulan)
  27. Mother And Daughter (album version features alternate music)
  28. Training
  29. Surprise
  30. Cadenza, M.I.A., GuiltyBeatz - Up Inna
  31. Street Chase
  32. Leaping Balconies
  33. Running Scared (0:00 - 1:31)
  34. Another Season
  35. Ms. Marvel Suite (2:12 - end)
  36. Ms. Marvel Suite (0:00 - 2:08)

Episode 5 Time and Again

1. Suraiya and Shyam - Tu Mera Chand
  2. John Harbury - Anguish and Despair
  3. Fight For Freedom
  4. She Who Lives
  5. Walking Stick
  6. Peaceful Transition
  7. Charity
  8. A Meeting And A Deadline
  9. People Are Dying
  10. Exodus
  11. The Last Train
  12. Answered Prayer (Ms. Marvel's hero theme is overlayed at start in the episode but not on the album version)
  13. Transfer (album version is mostly alternate music, in the episode the climax from the track "Another Season" is used again)
  14. Two People
  15. Reconciliation
  16. Generations
  17. Nowhere To Go
  18. Abida Parveen & Naseebo Lal - Tu Jhoom
  19. Ms. Marvel Suite (0:00 - 2:08)

Episode 6 No Normal

1. Subway Powers
  2. Janoobi Khargosh - Cpt. Space
  3. Circle Q Exploded
  4. New Suit
  5. Chaii - Lightswitch
  6. Raid
  7. Ensure Your Safety
  8. Keep Looking (0:00 - 0:34) (remaining music is unused)
  9. Glowing Pains
  10. Back To School
  11. New Plan
  12. Bad Press (0:00 - 0:51) (remaining music is unused)
  13. Threat
  14. Ahmed Rushdi - Ko Ko Koreena
  15. Swet Shop Boys - Anthem
  16. Walls Close In (0:55 - end)
  17. Stay With Me
  18. Pritam & DJ Hot American - Hadippa
  19. What Happens In Karachi
  20. Powerful Hands
  21. There Is No Normal
  22. Control Damaged
  23. Jai Wolf - Indian Summer
  24. On A Lamp Post