Vangelis dead at 79!

filmmusic

As @Stu said, this piece of news, deserved its own thread.

https://en.memesrandom.com/vangelis-dead-evangelos-odysseas-papathanassiou-cause-of-death-the-great-greek-composer/

Although not classicaly trained from what I know, I loved his scores, and especially 1492: Conquest of Paradise.
But one piece that is in my heart, is this:

This is obviously a shock to the system, as Vangelis is one of my absolute favourite composers, but I'm reading conflicting reports on the internet. 

Fuck me, appears to be true! It's only two years since we had our massive 3-hour Vangelis retrospective podcast at Celluloid Tunes, and I felt like I was in a new Vangelis groove, the first in many years. One of the most important musical figures in my whole life; I'm gutted right now.

Oh no! A compilation of his was among our few CDs when I was a kid, I loved 1492 on it. Will listen to Odyssey tonight :crymore:

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Fuck me, appears to be true! It's only two years since we had our massive 3-hour Vangelis retrospective podcast at Celluloid Tunes, and I felt like I was in a new Vangelis groove, the first in many years. One of the most important musical figures in my whole life; I'm gutted right now.

One sympathises.

I shall listen to SEE YOU LATER, which is my favourite non-soundtrack work of his.

I only had a handful of his albums but really enjoyed 1492. He will be remembered and missed. There are so many musicians influenced byvhis work. It's the kind of legacy few people leave behind.

And since we're on a JW website it doesn't seem inappropriate to post those arrangement. 

Karol

It's actually only two days ago that I re-listened to the aforementioned podcast episode, and shortly thereafter googled about any potential Vangelis news. I will no doubt be playing a lot of the albums in the days to come, once the news has settled a bit in me. This is about as gutwrenching to me as when James Horner passed.

Among score fans it sometimes seems he was the man you love to hate!*

How many posters have cursed him out over the failure to release BR; and then cursed him some more when his released music wasn't " complete?

*FSM message board is the prime source

I'm devastated. Vangelis has always been in my Top 3. Williams, Goldsmith and Vangelis. And he will always be. Rest in in Peace Master.

My tribute, in Polish.

https://kultura.onet.pl/muzyka/wywiady-i-artykuly/vangelis-nie-zyje-geniusz-ktory-przetrwa-odszedl-jeden-z-najwiekszych/1s4xnzz

Yet another victim of the pandemic, apparently.

This is sad. Vangelis probably was formative for me years before I was even really aware of him, thanks to how fittingly and prominently Carl Sagan's Cosmos used his music. Watching it in the 80s, the music made a big impression on my, as I only realised when I rediscovered it some 20 years or so later.

Since then, I've become a fan of Vangelis, even if there's still quite a bit of stuff that probably just isn't exactly my cup of tea (I care little for Chariots of Fire besides the main theme, or Blade Runner besides the end credits), and lots of stuff I don't yet know because I've only been blind-buying his albums when they were on sale. Nevertheless, there's a lot of stuff I love and frequently have in my playlist.

Two eternal favourites remain the two most prominent pieces in Cosmos:

(The slow middle part of Heaven and Hell, used as the title theme)

Big fan of the full albums Albedo 0.39Spiral, and Voices. I've finally come to appreciate Conquest of Paradise, too.

(Random thought: This would be perfect for Tetris Effect)

And there's still great original music from Cosmos that's virtually impossible to get:

Vangelis started playing with psychedelic rock bands in the 1960s like Aphrodite's Child and Forminx, shifting to scoring various documentary and feature films, collaborating with Jon Anderson and writing classical pieces. He's truly been through it all and seen things you people wouldn't believe. His music could be bombastic, theatrical or send you to a state of euphoria.

It always hits hard when it’s one of your heroes.

Vangelis was the first performer of electronic music that I ever listened to; indeed, I think "Chariots Of Fire" was one of the first (if not THE first) albums that I remember my father playing, and thus a lifelong fan was created. As someone that pursues a career in the arts, I realize that when someone of his magnitude passes away, the reason for one's desire to become successful and well-known in the same industry as quickly as possible is not to gain personal fame or fortune, or for the reputation among peers. Sure, those added benefits are always nice, but the real goal is the CLOUT and CREDIBILITY to collaborate with any of the Greats, whether it be a musician, an athlete, or a painter—and Vangelis was all of those at different points in his life.

In short, there are plenty of electronic musicians, but there was only one Vangelis. He was one of my heroes, and I lament that I will never be able to collaborate with him. Adios Maestro

P.S. The ONLY, and I mean ONLY, upside to any of this is that now perhaps some of his unreleased works and film scores may actually be released complete

I want to listen to a compilation of Vangelis tonight, and I wonder which one to chose between these two.

Any suggestion?

NC0zODUxLmpwZWc.jpeg

LTk5MjYuanBlZw.jpeg

5 hours ago, Deacon Blues said:

Vangelis started playing with psychedelic rock bands in the 1960s like Aphrodite's Child and Forminx, shifting to scoring various documentary and feature films, collaborating with Jon Anderson and writing classical pieces. He's truly been through it all and seen things you people wouldn't believe. His music could be bombastic, theatrical or send you to a state of euphoria.

He actually was shifting from Aphrodite's Child towards a career as a solo artist making concept albums, and yes, scoring the music for the documentaries of Frédéric Rossif.

Apparently Vangelis died from COVID.  

3 hours ago, Bespin said:

I want to listen to a compilation of Vangelis tonight, and I wonder which one to chose between these two.

Any suggestion?

NC0zODUxLmpwZWc.jpeg

LTk5MjYuanBlZw.jpeg

THEMES!

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

This is so sad... The film music world has been losing some of the greatest of all time over this past few years: Horner, Morricone, and now Vangelis. :(

The rot started to set in, on July 21, 2004.

I hate to be a nitpicker when overall I appreciate how it honors a great artist, but this line in this obituary bothered me

https://decider.com/2022/05/20/vangelis-obit-chariots-of-fire/

The Blade Runner score ... Its use of electronic instruments beyond corny theremins changed our entire perception of what science fiction should sound like. 

I would heartily agree that Vangelis changed our perception of what sci fi should sound like, but I don't like the implication that electronic music in sci-fi before Blade Runner was all just "corny theremins".  I hope the writer one day familiarizes himself with Goldsmith's sci-fi scores of the 60s/70s!