Vangelis dead at 79!

filmmusic

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

I hate to be a nitpicker when overall I appreciate how it honors a great artist, but this line in this obituary bothered me

https://decider.com/2022/05/20/vangelis-obit-chariots-of-fire/

I would heartily agree that Vangelis changed our perception of what sci fi should sound like, but I don't like the implication that electronic music in sci-fi before Blade Runner was all just "corny theremins".  I hope the writer one day familiarizes himself with Goldsmith's sci-fi scores of the 60s/70s!

I think the 80's was a great (I mean really great) decade in film music and in music in general, but it was the 80's...that's all, it has not defined how the music should (EDIT: or could) "sound like".

"should" isn't the right verb for sure, but it certainly changed our perception of what sci-fi *could* sound like.  The sound of Blade Runner is more than just "it was the 80s" like an inevitable thing.  

It's was a damn great score going perfectly with a damn good movie. You go to the stars when it happens!

9 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Too bad the soundtrack is ruined by dialogue.

I bet a project of expansion is in the boxes since many many years, and this project has been blocked since many many years by Vangelis himself because: "why fixing a thing, if it always worked fine"?

Vangelis was the kind of artist who always looked forward, rarely in the rearview mirror. Vangelis sometimes revisited or reimaginated his older works, but always if he could add something new.

Am I the only one here who listened to V in the Seventies ( CHINA et. al)?

I was a.huge fan but he was virtually unknown to most music fans.

I clearly remember seeing the poster for the upcoming release of CHARIOTS. When I read " music by Vangelis" I was overjoyed. I thought to myself " moviegoers are going to be blown away by the score!"

How right I was.

Rip VG

Just now, bruce marshall said:

I was born in 1977, so that would be kinda difficult. But I have great appreciation for this 70s efforts, even though I don't connect to them as much as I do the later stuff. Right now listening to the first side of HEAVEN AND HELL, for example, which is brilliant (the second, "Hell part", is kinda grating).

22 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I was a.huge fan but he was virtually unknown to most music fans.

I clearly remember seeing the poster for the upcoming release of CHARIOTS. When I read " music by Vangelis" I was overjoyed. I thought to myself " moviegoers are going to be blown away by the score!"

How right I was.

Rip VG

I bought the LP of China because the first track, believe it or not, was a small hit in Belgium and I loved it. Guess what, it's still my favorite today. My only regret is that he didn't follow it up with a Japan album. 

The last Vangelis album that I liked is Soil Festivities (Side A, that is). After Blade Runner and Soil Festivities, Vangelis went into a different musical direction and his sound changed as well. Even though he was one of my heroes, I knew my Vangelis days were over. 

For the record, I like the ones nobody likes: Beaubourg, See You Later, Odes, Short Stories, ...

9 minutes ago, AC1 said:

For the record, I like the ones nobody likes: Beaubourg, See You Later, Odes, Short Stories, ...

Hey, I'm listening to SHORT STORIES right now. Love it, as I do all the Jon & Vangelis stuff.

I like "Tao of Love" like everyone else from CHINA, but otherwise it's a bit too much indigenous Chinese music for my taste.

I won't comment on the Irene Papas stuff.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I like "Tao of Love" like everyone else from CHINA, but otherwise it's a bit too much indigenous Chinese music for my taste.

If only that were true. I can't find anything that resembles it. It's China according to Vangelis but it has very little to do with genuine Chinese music. And pure aesthetically, it's his most beautiful sounding album (the instruments and recording!). Ying & Yang and Himalaya are incredible and incredibly Vangelis. The whole album is a perfect journey. 

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Pretty much agree with you.

Interesting that Thor is more of a late career fan.

" CHINA" was used in an American TV ad, if iirc, which helped spread his popularity

It's not a Ridley Scott ad by any chance?

His early career is synonymous with Blade Runner CD 1. His later career is synonymous with Blade Runner CD 3.  :D

maxresdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Hey, I'm listening to SHORT STORIES right now. Love it ...

That surprises me, Thor. I almost don't believe it.

Regarding Blade Runner, for me, the music is so very much married to the images that it's hard for me to see it as a standalone experience. I later learned that this exactly how Vangelis looks to his Blade Runner score, as music that is inseparable and integral to the film. 

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

If only that were true. I can't find anything that resembles it. It's China according to Vangelis but it has very little to do with genuine Chinese music.

I disagree with that. It's quite closely connected. But in terms of connecting Chinese folk music with electronic textures, I far prefer Jarre's excursions on the China concerts album, I'm afraid. I've tried many, many times, but outside a track or two, I've never been able to get into Vangelis' CHINA. It was a runner-up below my top 20.

Eh, no, Thor. Here:

Vangelis' China is a Western interpretation of Chinese traditional music with a good dose of Vangelis' own aesthetic thrown in. 

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

I like the ones that nobody likes:...See You Later...

Are you kidding?!

SEE YOU LATER is my second favourite Vangelis record.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Hey, I'm listening to SHORT STORIES right now.

THE FRIENDS OF MR. CAIRO is better.

31 minutes ago, Thor said:

That clip seemed to prove my point.

:blink:

Well, if you can't hear the difference between the two, I can understand why you don't like it. 

27 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

THE FRIENDS OF MR. CAIRO is better.

It's more poppy and commercial, but better? No. But I suppose it's better than Private Collection. And the less talk about Page Of Life, the better. 

Needless to say there was more and more pressure from the label to make things more commercial. The first one (Short Stories) wasn't made under such pressure. It was only when the album was finished that the label asked: "Where is the hit single?" They wrote one but only after the album was released. It does appear on the CD. The LP is better. 

This news has hit me surprisingly hard as well. In remembrance of him, I currently have Opera Sauvage on rotation. It's interesting with Vangelis. I collect his released albums on vinyl as well as CD, so I switch between the two formats and it's a joy to read the liner notes.

IMG_0009.jpeg

7 hours ago, AC1 said:

Eh, no, Thor. Here:

Vangelis' China is a Western interpretation of Chinese traditional music with a good dose of Vangelis' own aesthetic thrown in. 

I never gave a thought to whether its ' authentic' or not..

I.

Don't.

Care. 😎

TBH

I sold my CD after purchasing the " THEMES" collection which has the best tracks.

Yesterday, I discovered with great pleasure what I think to be his LAST album (released last year).

Juno to Jupiter. :heart:

MjktNzcxNS5qcGVn.jpeg

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yes :)

I wonder if we'll now see official releases of MISSING, and THE BOUNTY, both favourites of mine?

- No! :P

- I would prefer that they open the Vangelis vault and release some of his unreleased stuff, preferably things he made between 1978 and 1982, when he was at the height of his artistic abilities. At least, rumor has it Vangelis released only a small percentage of what he recorded.

Alex - listening to Direct on Amazon Music because so many think this album great (:conf:)

MjEzMC5qcGVn.jpeg

22 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

" CHINA" was used in an American TV ad, if iirc, which helped spread his popularity

Yes, that was a Ridley Scott ad. 

20 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

That's not the one I was referring to.

It featured " Chung kuo", the melody the begins at 1:45

Might have been for Seiko watches.

This one?

I adore Logan's Run, but one can hardly say that the synths are as timeless as Blade Runner. 

Maybe Blade Runner sounds just as dated but I can't hear it because it's so ingrained. 

Amazing to think we got Blade Runner and Tron within weeks of each other. 

Listened to Themes yesterday. Neither Themes nor Odyssey are on Spotify. 

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

- I would prefer that they open the Vangelis vault and release some of his unreleased stuff, preferably things he made between 1978 and 1982, when he was at the height of his artistic abilities. At least, rumor has it Vangelis released only a small percentage of what he recorded.

Hoping for unreleased stuff too, like all the smaller things he did in the last couple of decades of his life. Also, a Frédéric Rossif box would be nice, that included both the released and unreleased. And a soundtrack for the 1992 Jacques Cousteau series (the "Indonesia" theme is one of the best things he's ever written).

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

Alex - listening to Direct on Amazon Music because so many think this album great (:conf:)

Love that album! It's right outside my top 10. Probably the most 'poppy' of his studio albums, but it works to its benefit. A bit like Faltermeyer at times, and some ethno elements that remind me of early Zimmer in GREEN CARD vein.

It's been several days and I'm still in shock. I second everything @Thorhas said so far. Vangelis was my musical hero. A man I always wish that I could have met. 

And Thor is right, those early 90s works are just the best. I have listened to Oceanic more than any other album. It is always the top album in my year end Spotify list. 

5 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

... and I adore SOIL FESTIVITIES.

Ah, the last album I liked (Side A, that is). After Mask (1985) and Invisible Connections (1985) I stopped buying his albums. 

chariots-of-fire.jpg

A little bit of trivia: During the filming of the beach scene of Chariots Of Fire, the men were already running on Vangelis' music before the famous theme was composed. They used L'Enfant from Opera Sauvage (1979) and Vangelis composed a new theme using the same tempo. 

At least Kitaro, Larry Fast, Wendy Carlos, Carl Bartos, Ralph Hütter, Wolfgang Flür, and Georgio Moroder are still around.

A QQ regarding CHARIOTS OF FIRE: does the CD of the play contain any unreleased music from the film. I'm particularly after the "training montage" (no, not that training montage :lol:) music.

7 hours ago, AC1 said:

chariots-of-fire.jpg

A little bit of trivia: During the filming of the beach scene of Chariots Of Fire, the men were already running on Vangelis' music before the famous theme was composed. They used L'Enfant from Opera Sauvage (1979) and Vangelis composed a new theme using the same tempo. 

The director originally wanted L'Enfant as the theme for the movie. 

Before V the prominent electronic music artists , that I was familiar with, seemed to do mostly covers of classical music.

Im thinking of Carlos, Tomita, Fast etc.

V really seemed to be the first to fully explore the sonic possibilities of synths.

I'm happy to be contradicted😄

15 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Before V the prominent electronic music artists , that I was familiar with, seemed to do mostly covers of classical music.

Im thinking of Carlos, Tomita, Fast etc.

V really seemed to be the first to fully explore the sonic possibilities of synths.

I'm happy to be contradicted😄

Klaus, Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk were also around and they weren't into classical music.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

....Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk were also around and they weren't into classical music.

They were more pop/ rock performers.

I'm talking about the purely instrumental recording artists .

Tangerine Dream had very spacey, non-rock albums as well. 

Zeit_(Tangerine_Dream_album_-_cover_art)

I'm sure Richard or Thor will tell you all about it. 

Kraftwerk, while electronic music pioneers, was indeed more an Electro pop / Krautrock band. That being said, Vangelis wasn't afraid of that either:

In fact, I really had to warm up to the pop art / electro pop aspect of this album. 

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

At least Kitaro, Larry Fast, Wendy Carlos, Carl Bartos, Ralph Hütter, Wolfgang Flür, and Georgio Moroder are still around.

A QQ regarding CHARIOTS OF FIRE: does the CD of the play contain any unreleased music from the film. I'm particularly after the "training montage" (no, not that training montage :lol:) music.

I don't think the CD of the play contains unreleased music, but that cue you seek is on the Blu-ray's isolated score

12 hours ago, AC1 said:

Tangerine Dream had very spacey, non-rock albums as well. 

Indeed. There's very little rock about Tangerine Dream, unless you listen to the very, very early stuff (pre-70s). They very rarely used vocals too. The wonderful title song from SHY PEOPLE (incidentally my fav TD) is a rare exception.

Kraftwerk is a different beast altogether. It's very much krautrock/electropop.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

Indeed. There's very little rock about Tangerine Dream, unless you listen to the very, very early stuff (pre-70s). They very rarely used vocals too. The wonderful title song from SHY PEOPLE (incidentally my fav TD) is a rare exception.

Kraftwerk is a different beast altogether. It's very much krautrock/electropop.

My first Tangerine Dream LP sounded a bit like Pink Floyd, at least, that's how I remember it, but I could be way off. I have to look at their discography to see which one it was ...

Found it!

cyclone.jpg

Moving through my curated Vangelis collection slowly and firmly. At FRIENDS OF MR. CAIRO now, my fav J&V. Part pop, part prog.