Vangelis dead at 79!

filmmusic

1 hour ago, Corellian2019 said:

Ridley Scott about Vangelis and Blade Runner:

I’ll say he was the soul of the movie.

Hey, that's what I always say! 

Daniel Lopatin, who produces and scores films under the name Oneohtrix Point Never, was hugely inspired by Vangelis’s sound and approach—a lyrical, soloistic voice carrying the listener through an atmosphere—and he wrote the closest thing to a classic Vangelis score for Uncut Gems, directed by Benny and Josh Safdie.

"A lot of people concentrate maybe on the Blade Runner score, which is incredible,” Lopatin said. “But his studio records—when he set up Nemo in London, and really, really found his own voice—those are the most interesting today, for me. I think they could teach us the most about where modern score can go, not necessarily his score work itself.”

Hey, that's what I always say! (about his Nemo Studios period being the best). 

43 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So he joined then?

No, he did not join. He was keen, but Yes felt that he wasn't a team player, so they went with Patrick Moraz, and made the wonderful, and very underrated, RELAYER.

Underrated? Proggers love Relayer, Richard. Sure, a few complain about Moraz' jazzy influences, but what do they know! To them I say: Stick to ...

LTkxMzcuanBlZw.jpeg

All kidding aside, I'll say Relayer is more loved than Tales Of Topographic Oceans:o

Of course, Close To The Edge is their masterpiece.

I don't think Vangelis wanted to repeat himself by playing in another prog-rock band. Been there, done that!

Well, TALES... has gone through a bit of a reappraisal, in recent times, and quite rightly so, but I still feel that RELAYER is the forgotten "classic" Yes record.

I appreciate CLOSE TO THE EDGE, but I think I prefer FRAGILE.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Well, TALES... has gone through a bit of a reappraisal, in recent times, and quite rightly so, but I still feel that RELAYER is the forgotten "classic" Yes record.

I would agree. It's not an edgy opinion, but Close to the Edge and Fragile are easily my favorite Yes works 

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I expected you would say "Close To The Edge isn't bad but it pales in comparison to Tormato". I guess today is a good day.

2 hours ago, Romão said:

I would agree. It's no a edgy opinion, but Close to the Edge and Fragile are easily my favorite Yes works 

Hehehe, 'edgy' opinion.

My favorites would be Fragile, Close To The Edge and Relayer. 

Going by the reviews over at Prog Archives, I'd say Relayer is a fan favorite.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

I expected you would say "Close To The Edge isn't bad but it pales in comparison to "Tormato" I guess today is a good day.

No such, Alex, but TORMATO does contain one stone-cold Yes classic: On The Silent Wings Of Freedom. Squire's harmonized Rickenbacker really shines.

As for RELAYER, after TALES..., Yes could have recorded 40 minutes of Steve Howe farting in the bath, and it would have gotten better reviews.

3 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

In.your hearts, you KNOW I'm right!

In my heart, I know you're wrong.

3 hours ago, AC1 said:

Talking about Chris' Rickenbacker bass ... I've never heard him play that hard ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCJYWXBN35o

That's good stuff.

Although I will always prefer Yes from THE YES ALBUM onwards, those first two records had a real simplicity, yet a definite urgency. They lost something when Banks left.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a nice long assembly on the Elsewhere site of various artists, politicians and record labels paying their respect to Vangelis.

I didn't know he was the godfather to Deborah Anderson (daughter of Jon Anderson) and that she as a child sat in the studio with Vangelis as he was composing and recording Blade Runner. Imagine being able to tell that story to someone!

http://elsew.com/data/latest.htm

GettyImages_2635188.jpeg

In this thread we talked about the rumour that Vangelis only released a small fraction of what he actually has recorded. Reading people's last respects, those rumours appear to be true. In 1982 someone from a record label was with Vangelis and he noticed a lot of tapes sitting on a shelf.

Bert van Breda (BR Music):

In 1982 I started my own label and I will never forget looking at those rows of unreleased tapes in the studio and Vangelis' laughing said to me: 'that's a lot of releases for your label'.

I think most of those recordings have still not come out, I hope his fans may see many more releases in the near future because The Maestro was unique in its compositions and recordings.

Recordings up to 1982, that means a lot of Yamaha CS-80 synths and Vangelis playing real percussion. :rock:

I hereby officially offer myself as a candidate for going through the unreleased material in order to compile a few nice albums. 

For the moment I just want a reissue of the remastered OST of Blade Runner.

The Steve Hoffman remaster is long gone OOP and that's

UNACCEPTABLE

What's really unacceptable is that BR 2049 has a Deluxe Edition album and a session leak, meanwhile the original film's score has still not been completely released after 40 years!!

Vangelis did not like to release his scores. To him, the scores are inseparable from the images. 

I wonder who is control of his catalogue (including unreleased material)? Does he have kids? The scores probably belong to the film studiios, right? What about the everything else?

• 2 months later...