Obi-Wan director Deborah Chow on Williams' "magical" theme

BB-8

49 minutes ago, Tom said:

So, based on these snippets, there is one thing that puzzles me.  Holt clearly began scoring, or at least had signed on, prior to JW's theme, and the theme itself then gave her the tentpoles for the project.  Also, she has not met him--she was not there for the recording.  Why not?  Wouldn't you readily fly or whatnot to be part of that, both for its own sake, but to be there for your own edication relative to scoring duties?  Not trying to be difficult--just strikes me as odd and incongruous.  

I would assume this is not gonna use the theme as much as solo did. I would assume she had to go back to add it in

1 hour ago, Tom said:

So, based on these snippets, there is one thing that puzzles me.  Holt clearly began scoring, or at least had signed on, prior to JW's theme, and the theme itself then gave her the tentpoles for the project.  Also, she has not met him--she was not there for the recording.  Why not?  Wouldn't you readily fly or whatnot to be part of that, both for its own sake, but to be there for your own edication relative to scoring duties?  Not trying to be difficult--just strikes me as odd and incongruous.  

Ewan McGregor said the session was closed off for Covid purposes so maybe Holt wasn't permitted to sit in. 

5 hours ago, Tom said:

I'd suggest that perhaps you're conflating the reaction of a fan who would jump at the chance to be in the room where Williams is conducting, and a composer doing their job, who perhaps doesn't have the time to fly to the US when she can just as easily hear a recording and then decide with the director how to use it.

Yeah unless Holt lives in LA, she's basically losing an entire day's worth of writing if she flies in from elsewhere. Deadlines on these sorts of projects are often ridiculously tight. You essentially run out of time rather than complete things.

JW's recordings were a separate arrangement to fit with his schedule (as mentioned in the above video - he had a narrow window).

I tend to pay no attention to PR interviews/clips because those things are always backslapping 'what the fans want to hear' stuff. They would say exactly the same thing if JW had stepped onto the podium and the subsequent minute of music left people thinking... 'is that it?'

A piece of music can't be magical, unless it makes a snake dance or a rug fly.

It will not even make me subscribe again to Disney+! :P

Did you hear about PLEX?  That's a pathway to many abilities some consider to be... unnatural... 

Finally, nobody can humanly subscribe to 42 different stream services at the same time, this business model have reached its limit I think.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

Well, so

By your criteria, E.T. has a magical motif, as do the first three Harry Potter films, and the entirety of the Superman March is magical too :)

I cannot wait see the series and hear the Maestro’s music. The fact that his music was played on set is such a treat to know.

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

It will not even make me subscribe again to Disney+! :P

What else was she supposed to say? "He composed this run-of-the-mill theme. So much for the iconic! I had to disguise my crushing disappointment and told him 'it'll do'. It'll have to, we haven't got time to hire Hans". ;)

Karol

He was likely talking about a streaming/digital release of the main title track, since this is a thread for Williams' theme and not a thread for the show itself

Hm. Well then in terms of likeliness of the theme releasing on Thursday/Friday we haven't the foggiest idea. Maybe they'll make us wait until the show is done. :lol:

...I hope not though!

10 minutes ago, Dr. Know said:

This site usually gives you a head's up of an impending release of a Disney title.  Not looking good right now.

https://www.disneymusiclicensing.com/albums?orderBy=original_release_date&orderDest=desc

object-266067207.jpg

I'm starting to think we won't hear the theme until the first episode airs, so our first exposure to the theme will be through Holt's score (assuming there's no opening titles JW scored).

17 hours ago, Gibster said:

Thought I found his theme but was wrong

I thought that I could instruct him just as well as Yoda. 

I was wrong. 

They are able to hold back releases to be simultaneous if they want to, right?

Anyway, I fully expect the first released music to be with episode 3.

Right. 

Most new music albums drop at midnight, timezone by timezone, so that's why we check iTunes NZ, because they turn midnight first.

But there's been tons of times in the past few years where Disney Records titles do not drop at midnight, but instead have a simultaneous worldwide release across all timezones, at a some specific time they chose to do so