PRESUMED INNOCENT (1990) - 2022 Varese Sarabande Deluxe Edition

Jay

Can’t decide whether to be happy that it’s a release I’m not desperate to have (thus saving me money) or sad that it’s not Hook.

It feels like I’m in an indeterminate quantum state. Schrödinger’s Film Score Release?

Mark

The entire OST album is included in the new release, you just have to re-create it in your playlist maker of choice (or use one of those programmable CD players)

1. 27. Presumed Innocent 4:14
  2. 7. Remembering Carolyn 2:20
  3. 28. Family Life 1:32
  4. 9. Love Scene 4:08
  5. 29. The B File 3:30
  6. 30. The Bedroom Scene 4:22
  7. 31. Carolyn’s Office 3:26
  8. 18. Leon Talks 2:01
  9. 32. Rusty Accused 2:08
  10. 33. Case Dismissed 1:55
  11. 22. The Boat Scene 2:16
  12. 34. The Basement Scene 2:57
  13. 25. Barbara’s Confession 5:19
  14. 35. End Credits 4:06

Ordered! :)

An intriguing title from Varese to release but a welcome one and its interesting to hear basically the film version of the score for the first time (judging by the track titles).

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

Can't wait to listen to this! Shame Mike couldn't get rid of the stupid 'Barbara's confession' though. By far JW's worst track title.

Well I don't think you can call it a spoiler anymore. Back in the day maybe, but not now.

16 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Well I don't think you can call it a spoiler anymore. Back in the day maybe, but not now.

I saw the movie in 2017. No one should assume everyone has seen a movie at a certain point. I still need to see AI, Amistad, Munich...

I've always loved the theme and the horn solo. Excited to listen to this in full. 

I appreciate that MM gives his same level of care and attention to even smaller gems like this one and not just the big stuff. 

40 minutes ago, Jay said:

It is an interesting choice for some OST albums to use such spoilery titles.

"Barbara's Confession" could have just been "The Confession"

"Qui-Gob's Noble End" could have just been "Final Duel"

"The High Council Meeting and Qui-Gon's Funeral" could have been "The High Council Meeting and The Funeral"

"Malcolm Is Dead" could have just been "The Revelation"

etc

Search for the track title "The confession" on Discogs, you'll get over 500 results!

Is this likely to get a digital release at some point in the future? I know a lot of Varese stuff does these days, but not always, right?

19 hours ago, Jay said:

This was a great episode, and surely will be a wonderful companion to the new album.  I really hope everyone listens to it and enjoys it, and then comes back and reads my thoughts!

I enjoyed the discussion about writing a score that gets more into the phycology of the characters (in a movie where everyone has secrets), as opposed to say, scoring the raw instinct of the shark in Jaws or the bombast of action and adventure.  I also enjoyed the talk about how Indiana Jones 3 felt like the end of one era of John's career and Presumed Innocent is like the start of the next, and how much flexing of his scoring muscles he worked out anew throughout the 90s.

I also enjoyed Maurizio's observation that John used the French horn in the theme for feelings of regret, instead of the usual way it is used for nobility and heroism. 

Maurizio's observations about how John scored the sex scene, and how he uses Dies irae in it was fun too :P 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Maurizio's observations about how John scored the sex scene and how he uses Dies irae in it was fun too :P 

lol I remember watching that scene and the combination of music and imagery being powerfully un-erotic (which maybe was the point). Almost as if the orchestra was screaming "Don't do it!"

Damn I wish they  announced it at the same time as Spacecamp so I could order all my c.d.'s together. I guess I'll just get it with the next release then.

Probably my least played JW OST but there seems to be a lot of unreleased music so I could change my mind

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Presumed Innocent and Spacecamp both not my favourite choices for expansions. But, hey, it's John Williams! So,

:ola:

Well said!

I do respect this score and, to be honest, it fits the film perfectly. I heard it for the first time in context which certainly helped. But I also never really bothered to revisit the original album.

Having said that, I am looking forward to revisiting it. It might be a nice antidote to some other bombastic stuff I have been listening to lately.

I am just listening to The Legacy of John Williams podcast episode. Really excited about both new albums.

Karol

Glad Varese has an international store, made grabbing this a lot easier financially.

Having only heard the OST once can't really say it left much of an impact, but maybe this expansion will offer a new appreciation for the score, and the added context of it as a sort of transition for Williams will be something to keep in mind.

Some really beautiful, dark, almost minimalist qualities to some of this score, especially in the quieter cues where it's sort of gently simmering with intrigue and mystery. The synth and piano have a haunting effect together that date the score, but it's still timeless in a way only JW can make it.

I was going to track down a old copy last year and now I'm glad this has come out and given a new expanded presentation.