PRESUMED INNOCENT (1990) - 2022 Varese Sarabande Deluxe Edition

Jay

This has never been one of my favorite Williams scores -- the main theme is an A+, but beyond that I couldn't get my arms around it.

Even so, I'm looking forward to having the best possible version of the score, and ordered this the minute I found out about it.

6 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Glad Varese has an international store, made grabbing this a lot easier financially.

I wish. But the "international" store is in fact really just a British store, which doesn't help me at all.

They could be 1.5 times more expensive there and it'd still be more worth it to order from them and not have to pay and deal with customs.

All I know is I ordered HTTYD2, paid 20 pounds, 20 more for shipping, then 25 more for customs with having to fill out papers and shit. At least Amazon take care of it themselves.

20 minutes ago, Holko said:

They could be 1.5 times more expensive there and it'd still be more worth it to order from them and not have to pay and deal with customs.

1.5 times is the ratio at Music Box Records, at least for Varese releases. But as you said, no customs hassle (which even without the hassle would be roughly the same as the price difference), and I can bundle more albums in my order to save on shipping.

I don't know the exacts rules here in Canada, but I only have to pay a supplement for Customs Duties/Taxes at Post Office when I receive a big order (like over 10 CD in one box), otherwise, the package is delivered at my community mailbox, without any another charge. I think it's a matter of weight.

So now, I try not to order too many CD at once (less than 10), and I never had to pay an extra Customs Duties since. So it's a science to order enough CD to get a nice shipping fee from the vendor, but not too many to avoid an extra custom charge from Canadian Customs at reception...

If you order just only 2 CD, you pay the fee charges to the vendor, and you have to always pay an extra Customs Duties at reception, your government is maybe stealing from you.

Do they still deliver the mail with bicycles? :P

50 minutes ago, Bespin said:

So now, I try not to order too many CD at once (less than 10), and I never had to pay an extra Customs Duties since. So it's a science to order enough CD to get a nice shipping fee from the vendor, but not too many to avoid an extra custom charge from Canadian Customs at reception...

There used to be a threshold (€22 I believe) below which no fees applied, but that's been removed. So now we have to pay VAT and fees for UK orders plus we have to pay fees on every order no matter the amount (which also means they charge *every* order - before that, chances were your average CD order would slip through unnoticed). And of course handling fees on top of that, and additional delays.

Any answer from me to your post would be political, so I'll wait the 100,000th post of Jay before using this Joker. :P

11 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

There used to be a threshold (€22 I believe) below which no fees applied, but that's been removed. So now we have to pay VAT and fees for UK orders plus we have to pay fees on every order no matter the amount (which also means they charge *every* order - before that, chances were your average CD order would slip through unnoticed). And of course handling fees on top of that, and additional delays.

We deserve the punishment, though - ordering these filthy CDs from outside instead of buying the nice hungarian-produced and manufactured expanded HTTYD and austrian-produced expanded JW scores and all those.

Any answer from me to your post would be political, so I'll wait the 100,000th post of Jay before using this Joker. :P

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

I don't know the exacts rules here in Canada, but I only have to pay a supplement for Customs Duties/Taxes at Post Office when I receive a big order (like over 10 CD in one box), otherwise, the package is delivered at my community mailbox, without any another charge. I think it's a matter of weight.

:P

I got nailed once with the Disaster box set. There might have been an extra c.d. in there but that's about it

I will also go out of my way not to give any direct money anymore to customs and the national mail service for their "handling" fee...

Terrific to see this score expanded, by the way. The theme is one of my favourites, and most of the underscore is pretty effective too.

5 hours ago, Bespin said:

So now, I try not to order too many CD at once (less than 10)

Man, I wish I could afford to have your problem, lol

5 hours ago, Holko said:

We deserve the punishment, though - ordering these filthy CDs from outside instead of buying the nice hungarian-produced and manufactured expanded HTTYD and austrian-produced expanded JW scores and all those.

You should support Hungarian folk music.

14 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I wish. But the "international" store is in fact really just a British store, which doesn't help me at all.

For me in Portugal, when ordering more than one cd, it's only marginally more expensive to have them shipped over here than to an UK address. Is it different for Austria? And the prices are actually lower in Euro than they are in pounds, albeit with higher shipping costs

Revisiting the OST, and immediately, I’m struck by the rubato of the piano introduction. It is such a breath of fresh air to hear artistic expression and phrasing rather than a rigid, metronomic attempt to recreate a virtual mock-up with pesky human performers who need to be purged of their individuality. Something that is missing in most of today’s modern scores, or at least the ones that I try to familiarize myself with. 

I am really quite hopeful the remaster brings to life some of the churning bass strings, which have this early A.I. quality to them. 

Yesterday I listened again to The Eiger Sanction and found again how the main theme reminded me of Presumed Innocent in the way both themes play with classical motifs.

For this release I am really curious what it will contain in addition to the OST.

Went on SAE website to place an order as I have a few titles to catch up and they are charging $5 more than Varese for this 😒...

2 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

That's usually how it works

I placed orders on SAE in the past,  can't remember a similar thing. And Spacecamp is actually a few cents cheaper there than on Intrada 🤔

10 hours ago, Romão said:

For me in Portugal, when ordering more than one cd, it's only marginally more expensive to have them shipped over here than to an UK address. Is it different for Austria? And the prices are actually lower in Euro than they are in pounds, albeit with higher shipping costs

Maybe, I haven't checked in a while. In any case, last time I ordered, it was clear that the price is at best almost the same as at MBR, but with fewer options for bundling (from different labels). Also, ordering at MBR (or elsewhere in the EU) skips potential customs delays and problems. Delays still happen, but at least they're either before shipping or tracked - when an item is stuck at customs, I simply don't get any updates for a couple of weeks, and then it either arrives or doesn't. My last Varese order was split in two because Lionheart was shipped separately, and that was then declared incorrectly so that I had to pay taxes for the shipping costs again, although I had already done so the first time. Varese were very quick to refund that without any trouble at all (kudos to them), but it's still easier to just avoid it altogether.

8 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Yesterday I listened again to The Eiger Sanction and found again how the main theme reminded me of Presumed Innocent in the way both themes play with classical motifs.

For this release I am really curious what it will contain in addition to the OST.

The first three notes are identical. Besides that the mood of the two themes is totally different IMO.

12 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

The first three notes are identical. Besides that the mood of the two themes is totally different IMO.

I didn't mean similarity in melody, but similarity in style.

How is that less 'ugly' than Varese's one? I do prefer the banner being at the top but I'd have thought you were talking about the not very hi res image they (probably had to) used.

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

How is that less 'ugly' than Varese's one? I do prefer the banner being at the top but I'd have thought you were talking about the not very hi res image they (probably had to) used.

The elements are not available in higher res. I'm not entirely happy with the positions of the elements and the colours (that changed, when I uploaded it). But at least the washed-out black background and the second-class scan aesthetic of the two pictures is gone.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I'd never complain about anybody posting a custom cover in a thread about the same score the cover is for

True, I fixed my post accordingly.;)

19 hours ago, ciarlese said:

I placed orders on SAE in the past,  can't remember a similar thing. And Spacecamp is actually a few cents cheaper there than on Intrada 🤔

It only applies to V/S. They don't offer a wholesale discount to other retailers whereas Intrada et al do.

I'd love a custom cover for this that uses this layout:

Presumed-Innocent-1990-movie-poster.jpg

23 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Maybe, I haven't checked in a while. In any case, last time I ordered, it was clear that the price is at best almost the same as at MBR, but with fewer options for bundling (from different labels). Also, ordering at MBR (or elsewhere in the EU) skips potential customs delays and problems. Delays still happen, but at least they're either before shipping or tracked - when an item is stuck at customs, I simply don't get any updates for a couple of weeks, and then it either arrives or doesn't. My last Varese order was split in two because Lionheart was shipped separately, and that was then declared incorrectly so that I had to pay taxes for the shipping costs again, although I had already done so the first time. Varese were very quick to refund that without any trouble at all (kudos to them), but it's still easier to just avoid it altogether.

In the particular case of Presumed Innocent, at least, the price is 18.98 Euro, compared to 29.95 at Music Box Records. so the difference is considerable. When in the International Varese Sarabande website, under the price, it says "tax included", does that mean the order will be exempt form custom duties, or should I expect extra charges on top of the order cost as is?

8 minutes ago, Romão said:

does that mean the order will be exempt form custom duties

Oh hell no it doesn't. Count customs you have to deal with yourself on top of that plus the shipping.

18 minutes ago, Romão said:

In the particular case of Presumed Innocent, at least, the price is 18.98 Euro, compared to 29.95 at Music Box Records. so the difference is considerable. When in the International Varese Sarabande website, under the price, it says "tax included", does that mean the order will be exempt form custom duties, or should I expect extra charges on top of the order cost as is?

I guess it refers to local (British) taxes. You still have to pay import fees. For me that would be 20% of the price incl. shipping plus a €5 handling fee, additional untracked delays, and a trip to the post office to pay the fees and pick it up.

NB: Stores *can* manage the import fees for you. At least Amazon UK does - it costs more there to order to Europe than to the UK, but everything is handled upfront and you don't have to pay extra or worry about additional delays. But I doubt the Varese store does that. At least it didn't last time I ordered there.

32 minutes ago, Romão said:

The British tax is subtracted during the checkout process, after you've chosen your country.

24 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The British tax is subtracted during the checkout process, after you've chosen your country.

Is it? That's something at least that you don't normally get as far as I know. (Not that it matters much with US orders, where everything is listed without tax to begin with - a common source of confusion and complaints that official retail prices for electronics stuff are allegedly so much higher in Europe).

5 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Is it? That's something at least that you don't normally get as far as I know. (Not that it matters much with US orders, where everything is listed without tax to begin with - a common source of confusion and complaints that official retail prices for electronics stuff are allegedly so much higher in Europe).

I just placed an order (to Norway) a few days ago, so I'm certain.