PRESUMED INNOCENT (1990) - 2022 Varese Sarabande Deluxe Edition

Jay

On 07/06/2022 at 8:21 AM, bruce marshall said:

Several copies of the ost have appeared on EBAY- cheap!

Dammit. Should have sold mine last year when prices were much higher!

I've listened through once.  It's nice to have, but my opinion of the score hasn't really changed.  I've never seen the film, because it was spoiled for me, and I haven't the desire to watch it knowing the twist.  Maybe I'd like it better in context, but I do think the handful themes aren't enough to make this score a great listening experience.  It's just okay for me, although like every JW score, there are enough moments to make it worthwhile.

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's not a twist, it's just the natural conclusion of all the clues leading up to that part.

It is an incredibly poor track title and they never should have used it, but knowing what's coming doesn't ruin this particular film IMO

You're missing out on a great Raul Julia performance!

Cool!  Well perhaps I will give it a watch. 

I admire this score and remember it contributing significantly to the film (which was quite good) but it is hard for me to sit down and enjoy the music on its own. It's quite an anxious and lugubrious work. But it is also very unique entry in Williams' catalogue. Having said that, I do prefer the way it is presented on the new disc. Good to have another one in the can. 😀

Karol

It's John Williams in his best Thriller mode, I love it.

It's the kind of music you listen with a whisky and a gun on a table, not with sunglasses and a mojito by the pool. :lol:

The first time I rented PRESUMED INNOCENT was on a VHS copy to see how Williams music sounded. Only to find myself bewildered that the film hardly any music at all. It was a studio print with some temp track that did not even remotely resembled Williams music at all but it was slow quiet music and I remember vividly the ferry scene had no music at all. I never saw the movie again until a few weeks ago in anticipation of the new release. Somehow I had missed the opportunity to buy the Varese CD. I remember finding a copy in my local shop and pondering over it. I did not have enough money to buy it and when I came back a few days later to buy it, it was gone. A year later I found out that a college friend had bought it.  And he thought it was by John Barry. ..:blink:

Anyways I should have my copy finally this week..

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Well, how does a studio print end up in circulation?

Karol

Good question ? nowadays you can easily get all the stuff online.back in those days it was all VHS format.

So I just took the shrinkwrap off my physical copy and am playing it in my CD player, and am experiencing a strange problem I've never had with any other CD in my entire collection.

The CD is playing fine, there's been no skips in the music at all or anything, but I can constantly hear the player "seeking", like as if I was skipping forward, or as if it was having trouble playing a certain spot.  Weird.

Hmmm, it seems to have stopped now

Eject the cd and play it again. It could be a motor issue or worse check if it hasn’t scratched your cd.

A malfunctionning Computer CD player (where the CD litteraly can go out of his socle) can dammage your CD, beware of this.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

So I just took the shrinkwrap off my physical copy and am playing it in my CD player, and am experiencing a strange problem I've never had with any other CD in my entire collection.

The CD is playing fine, there's been no skips in the music at all or anything, but I can constantly hear the player "seeking", like as if I was skipping forward, or as if it was having trouble playing a certain spot.  Weird.

Hmmm, it seems to have stopped now

Funny I had the same issue two days ago, it stopped after the fourth track I think

Aha, that's interesting!  Maybe something funky happened at the pressing plant!

I got through the entire main program without any issues; The music never skipped once, I just heard the seeking happening during the first 20 minutes or so

I am listening to the bonus tracks now and everything's fine

Listening to a CD, that's soooo 2000...

Always encode it with EAC (error correction activated), and listen to the FLACs.

Not only will this allow you a more Zen listening session, but it will extend the life of your cheap CD player.

I am undergoing a project where I listen to the actual physical discs in my entire collection, and that includes all new arrivals.

Of course in the long term I listen to rips of my discs and not the actual discs.  Neither of our cars even have CD players in them, and neither of our laptops have optical drives either

As soon as I receive a new CD, I encode it. 15 seconds later, it's automatically backed up in my Cloud.

I know what are the lastest CDs I purchased by using the "sort" function in Windows Explorer.

That's almost "magic"! :lol:

image.png

43 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Is Barbara and Rusty that beautiful string passage that is part two of Case Dismissed on the OST?

The part with the flute? Yes, it is. Case Dismissed on the OST is 1:53 long.

After all these replies to my question about new highlights on the expansion tell me somehow that there is no addition worth mentioning. Right?

CompHarrison? :lol:

4 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

I thought, Thor doesn't listen to expansions, because he sees no point in it. Or is his preference of OSTs based on actual comparrison?

Thor is an OST critic and he's a member of the IFMCA organization, I understand why he chose to focus solely on OSTs and not on the Expanded releases.

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Thor is an OST critic (he's a member of the IFMCA organization), I understand why we has chosen to concentrate on the OSTs only and not on the Expanded Editions.

That is why I wondered why Shark asked him for a statement in this context.

3 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

That is why I wondered why Shark asked him for a statement in this context.

To be the spam troll he is 98% of the time.

• 3 weeks later...

So, at last I could listen to the new edition and can say, for me it does not really contain anything new, that's really interesting. But the album flow is a different one. The highlights are not that huddled together. I like it. But I could have lived well with the OST forever.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

But after all in case of this score the deluxe edition has rather an archival quality than really an added value in terms of interesting unheard music compared to the OST album.

Old Schmuck! :lol:

Just to have a remastered OST is a great pleasure of life.

Do I have to remember you the original CD we had was made in 1990 (do the maths!), that was waaaaay before Hi-Res transfers!

image.png

11 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Old Schmuck! :lol:

Do I have to remember you the original CD we had was made in 1990 (do the maths!), that was waaaaay before Hi-Res transfers!

image.png

Now you just caught me with my old lousy audio equipment. :music:

Sorry, I forgot that when you receive a CD you immediately transfer the parts you like on an audio cassette so you can listen to it more easily! :lol:

34 minutes ago, Bespin said:

By the way, there's no technical note on the booklet, do we know what source(s) Mike and Neil used for this release? 

Looking at the spectrograms, it seems to be sourced from digital masters, but an official confirmation would be great :)