John Powell - THE BOURNE IDENTITY (2002) - 2022 Varese Sarabande expanded edition

Jay

On 9/6/2022 at 1:50 PM, Trope said:

These are the issues discovered:

- Track 6 "Bourne on Land (Alternate Version)" [1m03] is a demo from The Bourne Supremacy, and does not belong to The Bourne Identity soundtrack.

- Track 31 "Got Any ID?" plays back at the wrong pitch and speed due to a sample rate mistake.

- Track 8 "At the Bank" has a phasing issue on the final string chord (around 4:01 in the left channel), which isn't present on the OST release.

- Track 20 "The Investigation" has a distorted reverb tail/echo on the string swell (mainly in the right channel around 1:01), which is not on the OST.

- Track 19 "Hotel Regina" includes 2 different cues edited together (identical to the OST track). The music from about 1:47 onwards should technically be placed after "Bourne on Land" (this might not count as a "real issue" to be fixed, but it's the only cue that appears out of chronological order).

I will remind you that these specific MASTERING / PRODUCTION glitches on the CD are the errors that I contacted the LABEL (and no one else) about, in order to see if they could be fixed for future release (either physical or digital). The inclusion of a potential Supremacy demo was really just a side-note, and, as others have said, it's very easy to remove it from the program if you don't want to listen to it.

I understand full well that the Tumescent Edition is not intended to be a complete release of the score, so I don't fault it for not including everything heard in the film. However, I can (and do) take issue with the several mistakes, noticeable to anyone with ears who pays attention to the music they are listening to. Being very familiar with the OST (in which none of these problems appear), I heard nearly all of these in my first listen through on headphones (without super high-end, high-res, high-tech fancy equipment, and without malicious nitpicking intentions). Being relatively new to the whole expanded CD collecting world, this release was one of the first in my collection to have noticeable errors, and I felt justified in reaching out to the label, even if there was no resolution offered in the end.

I really like the music John Powell wrote for The Bourne Identity. I really like the music presented on the Tumescent Edition. I really DON'T like the mastering glitches present the Tumescent Edition. I rest my case.

Thing is: only two of those could be considered genuine errors within the work. The rest effectively are just what Powell decided made an effective presentation in his eyes (though why an OST edit was kept is beyond me).

Given Identity and Supremacy have different directors, is it really that hard to believe the Bourne on Land alt was rejected for the former project? I did actually compare it to the demo from the latter, and it didn't fully line up in spite of being the same general material. Different version of the same cue maybe, but I kind of doubt it. Plus, since Zimmer did throw in a one off theme in Batman Begins that gets elaborated on in TDK, why couldn't this be a potentially similar thing that was intended?

And I already said Got Any ID felt more like a demo to me, just based on how different the mix is in the film outside of the speed change. And the resource I listed does say it's an alt, so I figured this was how the cue originally sounded before the editors changed it.

On 10/8/2022 at 2:22 AM, Koray Savas said:

Harassing someone’s partner about a film score CD is a new level of embarrassment for this community. 

What is the matter with you, man? Who said anything about harassing anyone or his partner? I suggest you think before you write down untrue things. 

19 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I take issue with reaching out to her because she never chose to be involved in this product. She just happens to be a composer's spouse. I would classify reaching out to such parties as harassing them.

Again, think before you write things you don’t know the details about. I never said I “reached out” to John Powell’s partner. I said I “let her know”. In your world only

harassment exists? You know, there ARE people out there who are capable of polite conversations and have good intentions and a civil manner when approaching other people. It’s clearly something some of the people in this community aren’t capable of. 

Geez, someone is on the defensive!

"I didnt say I reached out! I only said I let her know"

Whatever, man

13 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

If a client was unhappy with your job at work, would you appreciate the client informing your spouse, just to 'let her know'?

Well?

I am not here to mock one's grasp of English (as it’s also my second language), but what exactly is the difference between "let them know" and "reaching out?" Is the second supposed to imply you did it in person instead of through DMs/email?

1. Again, I don't care who is or isn't on my side. I'm still not interested in kindergarten "you're alone, we are more against you" mentality, but honestly I kind of expected more from you, Jay. 

2. Like those who attacked me without knowing what they were talking about, you don't know how or where, in what way, shape or form, directly or indirectly did I let Ms. Sedillos know about the BI issue, or how many times have I communicated either with her or John Powell. You weren't thinking, just accepted whatever malicious lie others stated and joined them for whatever reasons. The truth is you don't know the exact circumstances just like those others who attacked me don't. Someone said something extremely stupid about "harassing" and you bought it, just like that. It only reflects poorly on you.

3. For the record: I'm in no way explaining myself, especially not when I get attacked and accused of something so absolutely and utterly ridiculous and so malicious like claiming that letting a composer's partner know about an issue is "harassing" her, without actually knowing what happened and how it happened, and without knowing who I was. Again, I kind of expected more from you. "Involving his partner in any way"... Do you even hear yourself? Do you know who talks like that? A prosecutor. I mean come on, man. You may not like me, but a tiny bit of objectivity would be nice (at least) from you. But suit yourself, you believe whatever you want to believe and judge someone you don't know based on something you don't know the exact context of all you want.

But has it ocurred to you that maybe you're wrong? That you jumped to the wrong conclusions without knowing the entire context? That if you're wrong, you have wrongfully offended someone and if you did, you owe an apology to him? I guess not. Judging, offending and insulting someone is much easier than admitting you were wrong and apologizing for it.

Had people politely asked me how, under what circumstances did I let Powell's partner know about the Bourne Identity issue, I would've told them. But not after this, not after accusing me of the most disgusting thing in a most disgusting way like they knew what happened, and more importantly, like they knew me. 

Something is very wrong with some of the people on this forum. I have my suspicions why, but I don't really care. But the kind of hateful, malicious behavior certain individuals are displaying here is so low, so offensive and insulting that honestly I don't even know how to react properly. At this point it's getting more amusing, because I sure can't take it seriously. So much envy, so much malice (toward none, I know). 

You do realize with that attitude that we're just gonna think even more that you did "harass" her, right? The hell is the point of suddenly wanting to not explain/clarify yourself if you run the risk of seriously alienating yourself further?

If Bruce was given the benefit of the doubt by some before Jay cleared things up with what happened there, then do you honestly believe that at least one person won't want to give you at least a bit of credit over this whole ordeal?

25 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

You do realize with that attitude that we're just gonna think even more that you did "harass" her, right? The hell is the point of suddenly wanting to not explain/clarify yourself if you run the risk of seriously alienating yourself further?

Why would I need to explain myself for ANYTHING, HunterTech? Just because I was maliciously accused of something? You do realize that AGAIN you are acting like people in medieval times where someone was accused of being a witch or having the devil inside them and they had to defend themselves or else they were burned at the stake or drowned in the river? Or nowadays when people are accused of sexual harassment or other things and the world instantly judge and cancel them without a second thought and ever needing any real proof or official trial to prove their being innocent or guilty. This is a mob mentality that I'm not willing to take part in. You and everyone have the right to think whatever you want for all I care. I know and think what I know and think and that's it. 

And just because those who dislike me are the "loudest", doesn't mean that everyone on this forum agrees with you. @Luke Skywalkerwas the only one so far who was normal enough to not suspect the worst automatically and I am thankful to him for that. Too bad no one else dared to share his standpoint, but I'm positive there are many others who aren't as malicious as some of you. 

Did I say anything about believing you harassed someone? Like, I even somewhat let you try and have the floor by explaining to me what you meant by key phrases. And yet here you are, going on the automatic offense just because I dared to say that the attitudes of others were only becoming more justified from the lack of responsibility being taken here. It's kind of a lose lose situation at this point if this keeps going further.

28 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Did I say anything about believing you harassed someone? Like, I even somewhat let you try and have the floor by explaining to me what you meant by key phrases. And yet here you are, going on the automatic offense just because I dared to say that the attitudes of others were only becoming more justified from the lack of responsibility being taken here. It's kind of a lose lose situation at this point if this keeps going further.

EDIT:

actually nevermind, i was mistaken in thinking she was involved in the production. i misread a comment here earlier in the thread. can't delete my post.

if she was involved in the process/company, tweeting respectfully (no idea if thats even what he did) at someone involved is not the end of the world here.

@Jay

we should be able to delete our own posts.

The board has never let users delete their own posts, but you can simple edit your post and leave behind nothing but a "." or something similar, which accomplishes the exact same thing.

11 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

It's unfortunate that the word harassment has been used in this context, but I've got to be honest - I think you would've helped to avoid this escalating as it as by just clarifying the circumstances under which you made contact, when the word was first mentioned.

Yes

I'd completely forgotten he mentioned fairly recently that he has spoken to Gabriel Yared before, so the thought hadn't crossed to me that he'd perhaps be in a position to where he could easily contact folks through more physical means.

Yep. And he's the second recent person who said they'd quit posting, yet came back anyway.

I guess this is the part where we bring back the "don't feed the troll" mantra if this is all now starting to amuse him?

To be honest the whole situation about first of all contacting Powell's spouse to voice complaints about some mastering issues, then being confrontational and argumentative when people call out that sort of behavior is pretty cringe. 

If you dont mean to come across as argumentative and confrontational you probably shouldn't have phrased your posts in such an argumentative and confrontational way.

13 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I was about to ponder yesterday whether this were a situation where perhaps you know Powell's spouse and were in general conversation, and happened to mention that some fans had issues with his latest release.

It's unfortunate that the word harassment has been used in this context, but I've got to be honest - I think you would've helped to avoid this escalating as it as by just clarifying the circumstances under which you made contact, when the word was first mentioned.

I wasn't even given a chance, I was attacked instantly. @Luke Skywalkerwas the only one who was thinking normally. 

And again, I don't have to explain myself. I would have elaborated had I been asked politely instead of being ridiculously accused like I committed a crime. The fact that people would assume such a thing is so utterly ridiculous and outrageous that I'm not going to clarify anything so they can have their satisfaction of me having to explain myself like they were the inquisition "demanding" to clarify anything. We are not living in the medieval times nor the McCarthy-era. 

13 hours ago, Jay said:

Ohhhhhh that's who this is

He got into a similar skirmish with other board members back in March

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/30600-michael-giacchinos-the-batman-2022/page/18/

Just letting you know that it is YOU and others who are harassing ME now, indirectly, talking about me in the third person, citing older posts of mine, trying to intimidate and embarass me. 

12 hours ago, greenturnedblue said:

To be honest the whole situation about first of all contacting Powell's spouse to voice complaints about some mastering issues, then being confrontational and argumentative when people call out that sort of behavior is pretty cringe. 

If you dont mean to come across as argumentative and confrontational you probably shouldn't have phrased your posts in such an argumentative and confrontational way.

I never said I directly contacted Powell's partner, and I never said anything about mentioning any "complaints". All these assumptions were fabricated by hateful commenters who attacked me and accused me of a malicious act. Of course I defended myself, wouldn't you, in my position, honestly? (it's a rhetorical question) 

Had anyone else written that comment, let's say Jay, no one would have reacted the way they did to my comment. I'm used to being attacked on this forum, but don't act surprised that I don't let people who don't know anything about me or the circumstances, go on accusing me of such a heinous thing as "harassing" anyone. 

PS: Köszönöm,  @Holko, hogy honfitársamként like-oltad az ellenem irányuló kommentet azok után, hogy elkérted tőlem privát üzenetben a John Powell-el készített interjúmat, ami után annyit se mondtál, köszönöm (igaz, amikor elkérted, megköszönted. De, tudod, utána is "illett volna").

Jó tudni, hogy mi, magyarok összetartunk a világban. 

38 minutes ago, JTW said:

PS: Köszönöm,  @Holko, hogy honfitársamként like-oltad az ellenem irányuló kommentet azok után, hogy elkérted tőlem privát üzenetben a John Powell-el készített interjúmat, ami után annyit se mondtál, köszönöm (igaz, amikor elkérted, megköszönted. De, tudod, utána is "illett volna").

Jó tudni, hogy mi, magyarok összetartunk a világban. 

Weird thing to target me. I do honestly feel shitty now that I forgot to send feedback and thanks for the interview but it or nationality has fuckall to do with opinions or agreeing or not agreeing with someone.

Dude, why can't you just tell us in what circumstances you contacted her instead of wasting everybody's time and acting like a victim? Nobody is being unreasonable here. You do NOT harass (note that I never ever wrote sexually harass) a composer's partner about an issue with a release unless you're one of her acquaintances or if she had a hand in it. Period. You could have cleared up the whole thing in half the time you've wasted on telling everybody you don't need to explain yourself.

Now, who's up for talking to Mike Matessino's family about Hook? They might know something...

@HolkoI didn't "target" you, I merely stated a fact that as my fellow countryman, after asking a favor of me that you forgot to thank for later, are against me and "like" comments targeting me. And FYI I so much didn't want to humiliate you in front of the forum that I purposely wrote my message to you in Hungarian so you won't get (more) embarassed.

And you're right, you don't have to agree with me just because we're both Hungarians. But you sure as hell don't have to be against me, either. Because that's a typical, very Hungarian thing. 

14 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Dude, why can't you just tell us in what circumstances you contacted her instead of wasting everybody's time and acting like a victim? Nobody is being unreasonable here. You do NOT harass (note that I never ever wrote sexually harass) a composer's partner about an issue with a release unless you're one of her acquaintances or if she had a hand in it. Period. You could have cleared up the whole thing in half the time you've wasted on telling everybody you don't need to explain yourself.

Now, who's up for talking to Mike Matessino's family about Hook? They might know something...

Because you're asking me like that, dude. You are being rude.

Maybe you could have assumed the best about someone whom you don't even know instead of accusing him of harassment. Can't you see what you're doing? Acting like you are some kind of a moral high priest, lecturing me? Just stop, you're embarassing yourself. 

I'm not acting like a victim. I keep getting attacked and I keep defending myself.

THIS, what you're doing right now, is harassment. Think, man.

I don't have to clear up anything, get it? 

7 minutes ago, JTW said:

But you sure as hell don't have to be against me, either.

A) maybe there are reasons for it

B) I didn't even write any comments joining in and calling you out, I just liked some comments.

14 minutes ago, Holko said:

A) maybe there are reasons for it  - Or maybe there aren't?

B) I didn't even write any comments joining in and calling you out, I just liked some comments. - That's what I'm talking about, being a typical Hungarian thing, "like"-ing comments made against your fellow Hungarian on an international forum. Naturally you don't have to agree with me, but you don't necessarily have to be "vocal" about disagreeing with me, either when you see that clearly more people are arguing with me. It's kind of a moral thing, you know. I wouldn't do it to you as my fellow Hungarian, but maybe it's just me.

On 11/08/2022 at 6:21 AM, JTW said:

What is the matter with you, man? Who said anything about harassing anyone or his partner? I suggest you think before you write down untrue things. 

And right there was the perfect opportunity to clarify the situation.

Either you personally know the parties involved and all is good, or you don't, and there may be a case for some members to take issue with how you contact them.

People use unfortunate terms all the time on message boards and more often than not it's because of a post that could've been better worded, or something that needs clarifying.

9 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

People use unfortunate terms all the time on message boards and more often than not it's because of a post that could've been better worded, or something that needs clarifying.

Yes.

On 14/08/2022 at 10:43 AM, one.chrome said:

Hey guys!

I have been reading some of the issues highlighted in this release (super interesting by the way, especially the higher pitched Got Any ID that fades into Extreme Ways) and I might disagree about the Bourne On Land - Alternate Version being a demo from the Supremacy score. 

I think John Powell had this melody in mind already when working on the Bourne Identity. When listening to Love Scene - Alternate version, you can hear that :

• the notes played by the guitar are Supremacy’s theme (Goa);
  • it is mixed with the humming voice we can hear in Marie drives/Bourne sleeps (Tumescent edition) or The Drive To Paris (Regular edition);
  • and the strings/ambient sounds we can hear at 01:23 are very similar to the lower pitched ones in Hotel Regina at 0:37 and 1:10, as well as in The Bourne Identity (regular edition) at 4:01;
  • the same atmospheric bass from the normal Love Scene/At The Hairdresser(Regular edition) we can hear from the start of the song is also there.
  • Finally, Bourne on Land - With Bassoon has a very similar piano to the Alternate Version.

For some, this might be a bit of a stretch but these are a few things I noticed while listening. So maybe these two alternate versions of Bourne On Land and Love Scene were made for Bourne Identity but because of their melody being so different from the rest of the pieces, they were put aside and used later as a base for Supremacy. Explaining why they are there, and I expect John Powell to at least listen to his stuff before green lighting it. :blink:

In regards to Got Any ID, Powell mentioned on Instagram that most of these songs were made before dubbing the film. Maybe, Extreme Ways was selected much later in the process and they realized that by increasing the pitch and putting the songs together with a fade, this was the most epic way of closing the movie.

Just my two cents! :) I am a huge fan of the Bourne Trilogy (Identity being my favorite for its revolutionary score, almost (Luc)Besson-esque feeling with steadier sequences, Marie, and the epic conclusion with Extreme Ways).

Honestly, this thread has been awesome to read through, you guys are experts! As mentioned in an earlier post, this is indeed a niche community and reading inputs of fellow fans is quite an experience.

Greetings from France! 

You make some interesting points!

I like that you mentioned that the Supremacy theme is very clearly heard in the electric guitar in "Love Scene (Alternate)". I definitely believe this cue was written for Identity, as it seemed to sync well to the picture.

HOWEVER, what you might not have considered was that this specific theme in question (which has been collectively referred to as the Supremacy theme) is actually a LOVE/TRAGEDY THEME of sorts for Jason and Marie in Supremacy, and from what I can remember, it is often used in scenes where they are together, especially at the beginning of the film. I am positive that Powell conceived of this theme for the love scene in Identity (hence, its presence in the alternate track) but, for some reason or another, it didn't end up in the film, so he then took it and developed it in the sequel. 

If this theme is indeed representative of the tragic and short-lived romance between Jason and Marie, this adds further evidence to the suggestion that "Bourne on Land (Alternate)" is absolutely not from Identity, as the scene it scores has nothing to do with their relationship (Bourne hasn't even met Marie at this point yet). Just my thoughts.

Additionally, your point about "Got Any ID?" being pitched lower due to Extreme Ways not having been selected as the credits track is interesting, but for me still doesn't justify what I believe to be a mastering error. Here are my thoughts:

The track is not actually just pitched lower; it also has a slower tempo. This is what happens when you play back 48kHz audio files at 44.1kHz - everything plays back lower and slower (in a ratio). The track's pitch isn't a single semitone lower (as would make musical sense). It actually sits between pitches, which is what made it stand out immediately for me (as someone with perfect pitch, I notice these things). It seems very, very unlikely that Powell would write this and only this single cue in a non 12-tone key. Furthermore, many are aware of the same mastering issue appearing on the "Prologue" track for John Williams' Hook, and both that track and "Got Any ID?" are in the SAME KEY OF B MINOR, with both sounding lower and slower due to mastering errors on their album releases. The fact that both tracks can be restored to their correct pitches by simply changing the playback rate in Hz to me is the final nail in the coffin that proves the mastering is wrong on this track. It may indeed have extra synthetic elements absent from the film version of the cue, but that doesn't change anything about speed and pitch issue.

Hope this helps! And I appreciate the effort to engage on these issues sensibly. 

57 minutes ago, Trope said:

It may indeed have extra synthetic elements absent from the film version of the cue, but that doesn't change anything about speed and pitch issue.

Thing is: this version also lacks the strings from the film, either instead being synth or a much more muted earlier take. It's part of why I thought it was a demo at first, since it's quite a major element to not have in the track, so I reckon it was something that got addressed in the final stages of recording. And yet, it is considered a proper alternate in that resource I listed, so quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised if the editors took it and patched it to clean it up (might explain the fade out here too if it did just end more abruptly originally). Besides, Powell does seem to have a thing for preferring a synth element sometimes for album mixes (the opening of Flying with Mother from HTTYD2 comes to mind).

As for the Supremacy theme, I think we should consider the possibility that JP was developing it in the midst of making the score. Sure, it definitely solidified by the time it showed up in the Love Scene alt, but perhaps it had a different purpose originally when it was written for Bourne On Land. To mention Batman Begins again, that movie had a very different hero theme in mind compared to the rest of the trilogy, but it instead got repurposed into being a sad reflective one for TDK/TDKR. It's not a Powell score, but since HZ was a mentor of his, I wouldn't be surprised if he followed some of the same mentalities at the time. Plus, we do have to remember this was John at an early point in his career, so he wouldn't quite be the master at juggling many themes then as he would be down the road (especially with this becoming his first major franchise).

• 10 months later...

Finally listening to this (I had never listened to the OST either) and it’s very much a score that slots right into a genre I don’t care too much about, and doesn’t sound too dissimilar from what other composers like JNH were doing (also p boringly) in the area in the same decade - so while usually Powell is a blind buy for me, expansions of his sequel scores probably won’t be.  Oh well - at least this CD has a funny name!

8 hours ago, mstrox said:

Finally listening to this (I had never listened to the OST either) and it’s very much a score that slots right into a genre I don’t care too much about, and doesn’t sound too dissimilar from what other composers like JNH were doing (also p boringly) in the area in the same decade - so while usually Powell is a blind buy for me, expansions of his sequel scores probably won’t be.

The sequel scores are much more overtly thematic and orchestral. I find them much more enjoyable than the original, for what it's worth. You should check out some cues on YouTube or something.

Yavar