Obi-Wan Theme debuts at Star Wars Celebration, conducted by John Williams

Jay

Not the biggest fan of the actual theme melody (might grow on me), but the piece is great! (I felt the same way about Galaxy's Edge.)

7 minutes ago, Chewy said:

So JW also conducted the Raiders' March and Imperial March after the Obi theme: 

Harrison's follow up comments from the AFI speech made me happy

Sounds FANTASTIC 

The melody itself is great, but I like the ostinato part the best. Kinda like with the Solo theme where the B section was the best part.

Williams has conducted live things a bit slower lately.  I would bet the official recording (whenever it might be released) will be a bit quicker (say 4 minutes total).  

Melody didn't instantly hook me either from that clip of the opening solo but by the end of the full piece, it's in my head. 

Reminds me a little of Anthem of Evil, actually, would put this a notch above that. 

I like it ! And it fits the description made by Natalie Holt. Now I wonder how (or if) it's going to be used for the title sequence in the show. Not long now ! 

19 minutes ago, Tom said:

When you start humming it, you find it shares some structure with the SW main theme--a nice little tie in. 

I noticed this immediately!  Very nice tie-in.

7 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Reminds me a little of Anthem of Evil, actually, would put this a notch above that. 

Yes ! And Holdo's theme from Last Jedi. 

I think this is more instantly cohesive and hummable than Galaxy's Edge, Anthem of Evil, and Holdo's theme (the latter two are almost identical in my book).  Its best moments aren't as great as the best moments of Solo, but the goals, musically and narratively, are so different that it's futile to compare them.

What's incredible is that it occupies a completely different musical space than any of his other recent pieces.  The last totally slow, meditative piece we've had in Star Wars is, what, Anakin's Theme?  Adagio counts, I guess, but this feels different and more classically Star Wars to me than that does.  

I especially love the opening note/chord.  It's sudden and energetic and sort of paranoid-sounding, befitting the subject perfectly.

2 minutes ago, igger6 said:

Anthem of Evil, and Holdo's theme (the latter two are almost identical in my book). 

Blinking white guy: The story behind the meme that's gone viral | Science &  Tech News | Sky News

Amazing. Can't wait to hear it in studio quality.

I predicted right  that it would be some sort of reflective theme in the line of Jedi Steps and not a heroic theme. And that it would be a 4-5 minute concert version

26 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Yea, this 1-3-2-5 motif (grown out of Ludlow's demise) is now becoming a kind of JW's version of DSCH :)  And it's remarkable that both the themes from sequels and Obi's begin with this motif, a seed for new musical ideas...

@Jay I'm not crazy!

Another interesting musical neighbor (the main horn line about 15 seconds in)...

I dig it! The middle ostinato is more present than I'd like, but I like the subdued, twilight-years quality of the melody.

38 minutes ago, Van_Etten said:

The theme is mainly the ostinato part I guess? Not what I expected honestly, it's more akin to just some underscore.

Eh? There’s a whole wonderful, wistful melody in there, played several times, with deliberate resemblance to The Force theme, Luke in Exile, Jedi Steps etc.

listen harder.

I actually hear a lot of similarity between this theme, Holdo, and Anthem of Evil, in that opening gesture on the horn. What I love about Williams is that he is able to take these relatively simple constructs and imbue them with such dramatic depth, and, while all three have a basic structural similarity to my ears, they are all completely different in emotional meaning. Williams’ work is always so much richer than any of us has ever deserved. I am so grateful for this man.

2 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

What I love about Williams is that he is able to take these relatively simple constructs and imbue them with such dramatic depth

Well, that's the whole point of this kind of leitmotif writing, isn't it? No just the themes themselves, but the various, shared musical building blocks that connect them.

Its inevitable that, with so much musical water under the Star Wars bridge, we hear a lot of things in this theme.

2 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Well, that's the whole point of this kind of leitmotif writing, isn't it? No just the themes themselves, but the various, shared musical building blocks that connect them.

Well exactly. I am speaking in a broader sense, I guess, to musical elitists who shit on Williams for “borrowing” when his work has its own unique feel, not that there really is any of that on this particular forum. 

The beginning is the best part for me personally. I do like the rest also. its A win for me. Its a good main theme, with some lovely other bits thrown in! Sorry I'm not the best and braking music down! I do want to listen to a studio version. 

9 hours until the first episode drops and the studio version can be heard within the episode

4 minutes ago, TheAvengerButton said:

I do agree with whoever said it has a lot in common with the Main Title theme, but I also hear spurts of the Force theme as well, as well as what someone said about William's Ludlow-ing.

I do have associations with the Force, too. Also, in the early part of the piece, I recall the Young Anakin.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

9 hours until the first episode drops and the studio version can be heard within the episode

you mean the  1 minute edited down version.

I want this concert version he just conducted

Hey, for all we know, he may have recorded a specially arranged alternate for the main or end titles, or even some Olympics-style bumpers or something. The ad-supported Disney+ tier is coming, after all!

Listening again and I reckon the "show version" is likely the first 2 minutes of the suite, probably a title card situation like Mando/Boba where we only get a snippet at the start but a longer version in the end credits. Not that there's much point in speculating this close to the air time lol.

1 hour ago, King Mark said:

I predicted right  that it would be some sort of reflective theme in the line of Jedi Steps and not a heroic theme. And that it would be a 4-5 minute concert version

I mean, that was all but confirmed weeks ago judging by Holt's comments. Unless you predicted it before then, in which case, fair enough.

17 minutes ago, King Mark said:

you mean the  1 minute edited down version.

I want this concert version he just conducted

Have you watched a Disney+ show before? The end credits are 4 minutes long every episode 

I'm still watching the "Day 1" live broadcast, I guess they'll show JW conducts the new piece in HQ in it, no?

Do we know the program of this live? What time is this supposed to end?

There is a crazy-level epicness to this piece that I have not heard from Williams in a main theme presentation in a while.  In its own way, it reaches DotF-level gravitas.  I don't mean to piss people off, but the last two minutes have a (completely Williams-styled) Zimmer vibe to them.  

Oh, don't tell me they are live till midnight? :o

It's now 7 PM in Québec, we have 3 hours of difference with California! I can't go to sleep at 3 AM, I have to work tomorrow!