Obi-Wan Theme released as a single!

Jay

Liking this piece more and more. Starting to grasp the theme better, love the diverse variations and the bits to tie them together - it's very well-structured.

11 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Harrison ford almost looks older than JW

That's because Johnny has looked the same for the past sixty years.  This shocked me...Sir Patrick Stewart is about the same age as Harrison Ford who I think looks way younger.

13 hours ago, sulky said:

Purchased!

31 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Harrison ford almost looks older than JW

So I'm not the only one who found Ford looking weak and tired at SWCelebraton? :(

Absolutely love this theme. Might be my favourite of his Disney era Star Wars themes.

I think they will, like they did for the others SW series.

With the new theme and music by John Williams, it's just more expensive for them do to it, but they'll eventually do. :lol:

hey the "ostinato" part in the ending is different in the single and the live version

so there's already a "revised" version with alternate ending

2 minutes ago, King Mark said:

hey the "ostinato" part in the ending is different in the single and the live version

18 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Is nobody going to mention the obvious fact that the ending of this is completely different from the ending of the live performance yesterday? I'm a bit let-down; imo, the live version's ending is better, with the recap of the ostinato figure from the middle... Overall I love the theme, though.

18 minutes ago, King Mark said:

so there's already a "revised" version with alternate ending

The beginning of the live version is slightly different too, with added vibraphone, possibly celeste, too, and the violins begin with an accent rather than quietly.

@crumbs JW recorded "The Adventures of Han" for his Berlin album, then "The Rebellion is reborn" for his Vienna one...

Give him one more chance to record a live concert, and we'll probably get the chance to have a live version of "The Rise of Skywalker"! ;)

Just now, Bespin said:

JW recorded "The Adventures of Han" for his Berlin album, then "The Rebellion is reborn" for his Vienna one.

Give him one more chance to record a live concert, and we'll probably get the chance to have a live version of "The Rise of Skywalker"!

JW still hasn't forgiven JJ 

14 hours ago, MikeH said:

And not to open a can of worms, but re: Holt’s interview where she said the director pushed her to go more modern and away from being “old-fashioned”, this “old-fashioned” piece by JW is obviously now the showpiece for the entire show. If you’re making a show that sits squarely between Episode III and Episode IV, why significantly change the musical direction? If you’re keeping continuity visually and storytelling-wise, why not keep the music in the same language?

To have the Disney suits countermand the director-slash-executive producer of the show on something as important as the music soundscape suggests either that JW has more pull over the musical identity of the Star Wars IP than almost anyone else or that Disney actually grasps and cares about the nuance of the continuity situation. My money’s on the former.

22 hours ago, Falstaft said:

Some more transcribing done -- now in you all convinced me is the proper compound (12/8) meter. Here's roughly the first third of the piece:

Obi Wan.png

[EDIT: Fixed the first ostinato in light of @Docteur Qui and @Michael G.'s corrections.

Not catching a *direct* Battle of the Heroes reference, @karelm, but the main tune itself has more in common with that theme than I realized at first.

@Falstaft, I believe there should be an anticipation duplet A-flat at the end of m. 15.

4 hours ago, Dr. Know said:

I have the end credits and concert versions playing back-to-back on a continuous loop.

Has the end credits version been released anywhere or are you just listening to an audio rip?

1 minute ago, Docteur Qui said:

Has the end credits version been released anywhere or are you just listening to an audio rip?

Audio rip.  Hoping it gets officially released soon!

In retrospect it's amazing how different are the themes for the master and the apprentice. Qui-Gon sure must have seemed like an oddball to Williams :lol:

I like the thought that the Kenobi theme describes Obi-wan the way he is once we take away his social roles (warrior, mentor).

@Falstaft your catalogue refers to the Force Theme as such, without mentioning it initially also being a Ben Kenobi theme. Could it be that Williams read the catalogue and noticed that Obi-Wan is the only one who doesn't have a theme? I don't know how likely that is, but the mere thought is entertaining :lol:

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

In retrospect it's amazing how different are the themes for the master and the apprentice. Qui-Gon sure must have seemed like an oddball to Williams :lol:

I never had thought of that being a specific Qui-Gon theme. I always took it as a kind of swash-buckling Errol Flynn type of Korngoldian action piece.

Qui-Gon Flynn :-)

I was confused at first by the surprisingly tense portion of the theme from ~1:05 to ~2:00.  

Then I realized it’s all about that “passage of time” quality that fits a man in exile and hiding. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I still don't hear how that "Inside the Bubble" bit is supposed to be Qui-Gon's theme

This was my first thought seeing that as an example. I guess I can KINDA hear it but it's a stretch. 

3 hours ago, Fabulin said:

@Falstaft your catalogue refers to the Force Theme as such, without mentioning it initially also being a Ben Kenobi theme. Could it be that Williams read the catalogue and noticed that Obi-Wan is the only one who doesn't have a theme? I don't know how likely that is, but the mere thought is entertaining :lol:

Hah! Only if he doesn't read the footnotes.

On 27/05/2022 at 6:12 PM, Falstaft said:

Some more transcribing done -- now in you all convinced me is the proper compound (12/8) meter. Here's roughly the first third of the piece:

Obi Wan.png

[EDIT: Fixed the first ostinato in light of @Docteur Qui and @Michael G.'s corrections.

Not catching a *direct* Battle of the Heroes reference, @karelm, but the main tune itself has more in common with that theme than I realized at first.

Measures 28 and 29 should be octave lower (along with the A at the end of 27).

Does anyone else find it weird that the piece is simply titled 'Obi-Wan'? Not Obi-Wan's Theme or The Return of Obi-Wan or anything else more similar to past JW themes? It's like the title itself is kind of an afterthought? It seems very unlike JW. I was expecting something more like The Adventures of Han or Rey's theme.

9 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Does anyone else find it weird that the piece is simply titled 'Obi-Wan'? Not Obi-Wan's Theme or The Return of Obi-Wan or anything else more similar to past JW themes? It's like the title itself is kind of an afterthought? It seems very unlike JW. I was expecting something more like The Adventures of Han or Rey's theme.

Obi-Wan and Theme

10 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Maybe this is a hint, that this piece is actually about the resurrection of Obi-Wan, transformation from Ben back to Obi-Wan. Something like that. 

Or maybe it is because of the missing B-section in the theme. Not worth the effort having two words then in the title.

I think I like the descending 4 note motif that ends the offical recording more than ostinato version that ends the revised llive performance.  I am sure the latter will be the "official" end to the signature edition, and it does tie the piece together nicely, but the descending notes strike me as more dramatic.  

20 hours ago, Tom said:

I think I like the descending 4 note motif that ends the offical recording more than ostinato version that ends the revised llive performance.  I am sure the latter will be the "official" end to the signature edition, and it does tie the piece together nicely, but the descending notes strike me as more dramatic.  

Indeed it is better. Could be Holt/Ross' writing.

• 2 weeks later...