Jump to content

Obi-Wan Theme released as a single!


Jay
 Share

Recommended Posts

Liking this piece more and more. Starting to grasp the theme better, love the diverse variations and the bits to tie them together - it's very well-structured.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Harrison ford almost looks older than JW

 

That's because Johnny has looked the same for the past sixty years.  This shocked me...Sir Patrick Stewart is about the same age as Harrison Ford who I think looks way younger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, sulky said:

 

Purchased!

 

31 minutes ago, King Mark said:

Harrison ford almost looks older than JW

 

So I'm not the only one who found Ford looking weak and tired at SWCelebraton? :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Absolutely love this theme. Might be my favourite of his Disney era Star Wars themes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

how great is it that we have the end credits version AND the concert version?  Now if Disney would just release the rest of the score...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think they will, like they did for the others SW series.

 

With the new theme and music by John Williams, it's just more expensive for them do to it, but they'll eventually do. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

hey the "ostinato" part in the ending is different in the single and the live version

 

so there's already a "revised" version with alternate ending

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, King Mark said:

hey the "ostinato" part in the ending is different in the single and the live version

 

18 hours ago, Tydirium said:

Is nobody going to mention the obvious fact that the ending of this is completely different from the ending of the live performance yesterday? I'm a bit let-down; imo, the live version's ending is better, with the recap of the ostinato figure from the middle... Overall I love the theme, though.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, King Mark said:

so there's already a "revised" version with alternate ending


The beginning of the live version is slightly different too, with added vibraphone, possibly celeste, too, and the violins begin with an accent rather than quietly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's rather amusing that JW performed the theme from Obi-Wan live before performing anything from Rise of Skywalker, despite that film being 2.5 years old.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@crumbs JW recorded "The Adventures of Han" for his Berlin album, then "The Rebellion is reborn" for his Vienna one...

 

Give him one more chance to record a live concert, and we'll probably get the chance to have a live version of "The Rise of Skywalker"! ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Bespin said:

JW recorded "The Adventures of Han" for his Berlin album, then "The Rebellion is reborn" for his Vienna one.

 

Give him one more chance to record a live concert, and we'll probably get the chance to have a live version of "The Rise of Skywalker"!

JW still hasn't forgiven JJ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forgiven what? To mix his music at a so low volume in his movies?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, MikeH said:

And not to open a can of worms, but re: Holt’s interview where she said the director pushed her to go more modern and away from being “old-fashioned”, this “old-fashioned” piece by JW is obviously now the showpiece for the entire show. If you’re making a show that sits squarely between Episode III and Episode IV, why significantly change the musical direction? If you’re keeping continuity visually and storytelling-wise, why not keep the music in the same language?

To have the Disney suits countermand the director-slash-executive producer of the show on something as important as the music soundscape suggests either that JW has more pull over the musical identity of the Star Wars IP than almost anyone else or that Disney actually grasps and cares about the nuance of the continuity situation. My money’s on the former.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Falstaft said:

Some more transcribing done -- now in you all convinced me is the proper compound (12/8) meter. Here's roughly the first third of the piece:

Obi Wan.png

 

 

[EDIT: Fixed the first ostinato in light of @Docteur Qui and @Michael G.'s corrections.

 

Not catching a *direct* Battle of the Heroes reference, @karelm, but the main tune itself has more in common with that theme than I realized at first.

 

@Falstaft, I believe there should be an anticipation duplet A-flat at the end of m. 15.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the end credits and concert versions playing back-to-back on a continuous loop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dr. Know said:

I have the end credits and concert versions playing back-to-back on a continuous loop.

 

Has the end credits version been released anywhere or are you just listening to an audio rip?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Docteur Qui said:

 

Has the end credits version been released anywhere or are you just listening to an audio rip?

Audio rip.  Hoping it gets officially released soon!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can we expect a proper hard-copy album with the single JW track plus selected tracks by Holt? Like the Solo album?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In retrospect it's amazing how different are the themes for the master and the apprentice. Qui-Gon sure must have seemed like an oddball to Williams :lol:

 

 

I like the thought that the Kenobi theme describes Obi-wan the way he is once we take away his social roles (warrior, mentor).

 

@Falstaft your catalogue refers to the Force Theme as such, without mentioning it initially also being a Ben Kenobi theme. Could it be that Williams read the catalogue and noticed that Obi-Wan is the only one who doesn't have a theme? I don't know how likely that is, but the mere thought is entertaining :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still don't hear how that "Inside the Bubble" bit is supposed to be Qui-Gon's theme

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

In retrospect it's amazing how different are the themes for the master and the apprentice. Qui-Gon sure must have seemed like an oddball to Williams :lol:

 

 

I never had thought of that being a specific Qui-Gon theme. I always took it as a kind of swash-buckling Errol Flynn type of Korngoldian action piece.

 

Qui-Gon Flynn :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was confused at first by the surprisingly tense portion of the theme from ~1:05 to ~2:00.  

 

Then I realized it’s all about that “passage of time” quality that fits a man in exile and hiding. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I still don't hear how that "Inside the Bubble" bit is supposed to be Qui-Gon's theme

 

This was my first thought seeing that as an example. I guess I can KINDA hear it but it's a stretch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Fabulin said:

@Falstaft your catalogue refers to the Force Theme as such, without mentioning it initially also being a Ben Kenobi theme. Could it be that Williams read the catalogue and noticed that Obi-Wan is the only one who doesn't have a theme? I don't know how likely that is, but the mere thought is entertaining :lol:

 

Hah! Only if he doesn't read the footnotes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/05/2022 at 6:12 PM, Falstaft said:

Some more transcribing done -- now in you all convinced me is the proper compound (12/8) meter. Here's roughly the first third of the piece:

Obi Wan.png

 

 

[EDIT: Fixed the first ostinato in light of @Docteur Qui and @Michael G.'s corrections.

 

Not catching a *direct* Battle of the Heroes reference, @karelm, but the main tune itself has more in common with that theme than I realized at first.

 

 

Measures 28 and 29 should be octave lower (along with the A at the end of 27).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone else find it weird that the piece is simply titled 'Obi-Wan'? Not Obi-Wan's Theme or The Return of Obi-Wan or anything else more similar to past JW themes? It's like the title itself is kind of an afterthought? It seems very unlike JW. I was expecting something more like The Adventures of Han or Rey's theme.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Does anyone else find it weird that the piece is simply titled 'Obi-Wan'? Not Obi-Wan's Theme or The Return of Obi-Wan or anything else more similar to past JW themes? It's like the title itself is kind of an afterthought? It seems very unlike JW. I was expecting something more like The Adventures of Han or Rey's theme.

 

Obi-Wan and Theme

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Does anyone else find it weird that the piece is simply titled 'Obi-Wan'? Not Obi-Wan's Theme or The Return of Obi-Wan or anything else more similar to past JW themes? It's like the title itself is kind of an afterthought? It seems very unlike JW. I was expecting something more like The Adventures of Han or Rey's theme.

Maybe this is a hint, that this piece is actually about the resurrection of Obi-Wan, transformation from Ben back to Obi-Wan. Something like that. 

Or maybe it is because of the missing B-section in the theme. Not worth the effort having two words then in the title.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Finally listened to this. I hear a lot of Order 66 and Rogue One vibes. The recording sadly also sounds like a Giacchino one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I like the descending 4 note motif that ends the offical recording more than ostinato version that ends the revised llive performance.  I am sure the latter will be the "official" end to the signature edition, and it does tie the piece together nicely, but the descending notes strike me as more dramatic.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Tom said:

I think I like the descending 4 note motif that ends the offical recording more than ostinato version that ends the revised llive performance.  I am sure the latter will be the "official" end to the signature edition, and it does tie the piece together nicely, but the descending notes strike me as more dramatic.  

 

Indeed it is better. Could be Holt/Ross' writing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/06/2022 at 12:42 AM, Sergeant said:

 

Indeed it is better. Could be Holt/Ross' writing.

 

It's 100% John's writing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.