What are your thoughts on John Williams' new theme for Obi-Wan?

Sam Bova

I wrote it already in the other thread. Just listened to it again and realised, that, what I find quite unusual, the theme has no B-section or another part. It is just this short melody, maybe four or six bars, and that gets repeated and varied rhythmically and harmonically a little, but that's it. Even March of the Resistance had some kind of B-part. This one doesn't. 

28 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I think it's derived from the force theme.

I thought, it's rather derived from Battle of Heroes which also had no b-part except the insert of the force theme and it had more variation).

16 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

It's a perfectly nice theme but it doesn't rank anywhere near his best. While it's reasonable memorable I'm not feeling that element that makes it an 'emotional' theme.

Classic Penna

Richard, the conveyor of truths.

15 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I wrote it already in the other thread. Just listened to it again and realised, that, what I find quite unusual, the theme has no B-section or another part. It is just this short melody, maybe four or six bars, and that gets repeated and varied rhythmically and harmonically a little, but that's it. Even March of the Resistance had some kind of B-part. This one doesn't. 

I thought, it's rather derived from Battle of Heroes which also had no b-part except the insert of the force theme and it had more variation).

It's derived from the c minor scale.

On my Grado GS1000i headphones it sounds really grandiose

Anyways it's really good, some of you are underestimating it. I think it's the awesome brass orchestrations only Williams can do that makes it great even if the theme itself is a bit simplistic

I am really enjoying the official JW release but I like the surprise string opening from the Celebration version more. The softer string opening of the official recording is also nice, similar to Tales of a Jedi Knight. I think I like the end credits version least of all.

Listening to it more (at least 14 times now), it is a decent minor SW theme. It's perfectly nice to listen to as almost all JW music is, and it fits the psychology and state of Obi Wan at this time. But it's the least interesting of all JW's recent SW themes. Even Galaxy's Edge and Adventures of Han are both better.

I haven't listened to the single yet, but I like it in the show. I'm just stunned that its kinship with the Star Wars main theme/Luke's theme isn't coming up more in these threads. My girlfriend is less interested in film/TV scores than I am, but she still turned to me partway through the first episode and said, "Nice variation on the main theme."

I think it's really good.  The first few notes sound a bit like the PS4 Spider-Man theme but I seriously doubt Williams played that game.  

I think I actually prefer the end credits rendition 

I love it.  It’s probably just me, but after humming it for a while, it somehow morphs into the theme for The Lost World in my brain. 

Just been blasting it out through my tv! Loving it! The catchy theme part reminds me of the superman main march. I kid you not!

The theme itself is exquisite. It’s instantly memorable, hummable and versatile. But the application in the concert work is missing a great B section or development. It’s just a little too repetitive. Don’t get me wrong. I love it, especially the individual elements. The ostinato when it comes in gives me chills and captures the turmoil of Kenobi. 

17 minutes ago, publicist said:

Why Williams bothers with this is beyond me. It’s a rather undistinguished piece of work and this time he can’t even make it work in a larger context because he’s obviously not scoring the series. Just let it go, man!

I've yet to read something positive from you about music from JW.

23 minutes ago, publicist said:

Why Williams bothers with this is beyond me. It’s a rather undistinguished piece of work and this time he can’t even make it work in a larger context because he’s obviously not scoring the series. Just let it go, man!

Why you bother with this bullshit is beyond me. Just let it go, seriously.

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

If ever there was a time for a downvote button as I suggested the other day...

He ruined his entire career with this Obi-Wan crappy music. I lost my God.

1 hour ago, Darth Mulder said:

He ruined his entire career with this Obi-Wan crappy music. I lost my God.

I'm naive as they come, but this is just trolling, right?

5 hours ago, Steve said:

I've yet to read something positive from you about music from JW.

Not to speak for pub but I know he's one of the bigger Rebellion is Reborn fans on here

At first, I couldn't unheard the similarity to this:

But since it was repeated in almost every scene in the series I've come to see it as it's own thing. I especially adore the little riff that builds almost like a fanfare.

31 minutes ago, King Mark said:

I don't really get some of the comments in this thread :(. I think it's really good and I rank it pretty high in his SW concert pieces overall. Sounds like classic Williams and it's a lot better than I expected .

And why do people keep bringing up those vague similitudes to the Spiderman 4 theme  which obviously Williams knows nothing about.

Beats me.  Bunch of weirdos on this board.  The theme didn't do a whole lot for me when I watched the first two episodes, but then I bought the single and listened to it and was like, ah, yes, there it is.