What are your thoughts on John Williams' new theme for Obi-Wan?

Sam Bova

By the end of the last episode Williams's theme had been used so many times in so many kinds of contexts, that it feels now like a main theme from The Ten CommandmentsLawrence of Arabia, Mummy / Mummy Returns, or some other adventure where the main theme sometimes serves just as a reminder that you are still watching the same 'cinematic spectacle'.

compare: 2:55

I already feel nostalgic about it.

On 05/06/2022 at 1:27 PM, Lord Montague said:

Siegfried Theme, which inspired the Force Theme,

Nope, sorry. Not hearing it.

I mean, I do. But I don't think that connection is meaningful.

13 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

it functions as the dedicated "Only Star Warsy Thing Allowed" musically and becomes very repetitive.  

Exceptionally well-put.  That's exactly what it felt like.  My God, what might have been, with a production team that cared about honoring that sound and a composer capable of producing it!

On 22/06/2022 at 2:07 PM, Chen G. said:

Nope, sorry. Not hearing it.

I mean, I do. But I don't think that connection is meaningful.

Not meaningful? In that (Wagnerian, Norse inspired) mythology, Siegfried is the bearer of hope for change. He is a young, yet unknowing, "Padawan" with superhuman "force". In that sense I very much see a connection.

Did you watch the opera? Siegfried is nothing like Luke Skywalker. Siegfried is "ein dummes Kind" - a "stupid boy", rash, indignant and slightly murderous.

Wagner doesn't write the kind of archetypal "hero's journey" schtick: He uses mythology as source material, but over that he writes complex, ambigious, fraught Goethian psychodramas that are totally allergic to the word "archetype", which makes any comparison between his music-dramas and Hollywood fairytale stories very ill-concieved.

The only exception to this is Lohengrin (coincidentally, a far more popular - and more influential - work than The Ring) and even there, certainly the way Lohengrin ends (the most gloomy of Wagner's endings) is totally unlike anything in Star Wars.

And really, why are we looking of all things at the Ring for influences, when Meistersinger, Lohengrin, Parsifal and certainly Tristan were much, much more influential works that we are far more likely to find traces of in Williams' ouvre? Williams hero themes have much more in common with the brassiness and overt "white hat" quality of the motives associated with Lohengrin and his dad Parsifal.

Listening to it now. Thanks for sharing. We don't hear enough about Bill Ross' long involvement with Star Wars.

Edit: well, that was a little underwhelming. He didn't really discuss much of anything about the music or process. I hope the full interview is more illuminating.