New Lucasfilm logo music: is it JW?

BrotherSound

4 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

So, the new show Obi-Wan Kenobi features some rather Williams-y music over the Lucasfilm logo:

So, what do we think? Is this music by JW? I’m not certain, but leaning towards ‘yes’.

My first impression was yes as well. As soon as it started, I thought so and actually thought that was going to transition into the title music (instead of the rescored prequel flashback edit).

It's certainly better.  I wish they'd done new visuals too.  There's nothing I like about those colored heads, or the altered typeface in the logo.

The 2022 Star Trek visuals are much more fun and striking

2 minutes ago, King Mark said:

if it was JW it would be more distinctive

Yeah, I agree.  Also, it is freaking Star Wars. It has the most distinctive theme in all of movie history, just use a damn subdued or whatever version of it.  

I'm betting on Ross. They wouldn't bring in Haab just for one short cue when they already had the better of the Williams adaptors on the books and an orchestra in front of him.

15 hours ago, Andy said:

The 2022 Star Trek visuals are much more fun and striking

I really want to like the new Star Trek logo, but the ship is flying around too much - I bet Lower Decks makes a total parody of it in season 4 (assuming season 3 is too far along to squeeze it in). 

Back to Star Wars - I too wish they would do something better than the chrome heads. It feels like a marketing message since there are no likeness rights associated with those characters.

The Mando one works as cool logo music (sorry I just like it) while this new one just sounds like the beginning of a longer cue, doesn’t feel natural to me

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

As JW is a master of interesting harmonic progressions, I think he would have come up with a more refined key change towards the end.

The final chord also sounds like it arrives just a bit too early. Doesn’t have the space to arrive at the culminating moment. It’s anticlimactic for me actually. JW wouldn’t have done this, but an editor might have…

EDIT - just listened to it again, it really sounds like a poorly spliced edit. Wonder what it was supposed to do.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Was it ever confirmed Ludwig wrote that one? 

46 minutes ago, CGCJ said:

He's credited for "Star Wars Logo" in the music copyright databases (BMI, GEMA, etc).

Joseph Shirley said he wrote it iirc.

11 hours ago, Stu said:

The Mando one works as cool logo music (sorry I just like it) while this new one just sounds like the beginning of a longer cue, doesn’t feel natural to me

It also feels a little floaty, doesn’t really sync to anything

On 27/05/2022 at 11:10 PM, BrotherSound said:

So, the new show Obi-Wan Kenobi features some rather Williams-y music over the Lucasfilm logo:

So, what do we think? Is this music by JW? I’m not certain, but leaning towards ‘yes’.

I like the music and I like when the logo appears colourful but I still don't like the helmets

• 2 weeks later...

The plot thickens. The thematic material and the orchestration of the logo music have been woven into the score of the 4th episode, fitting a dimly lit sneaking scene in an imperial hallway like a glove. It's not exactly the same thing, but sounds adapted from it. Either it's an awesome use of logo music, or... could it be that it is the logo music that has been derived from that cue in the first place?

3 minutes ago, CourtneyNeedsAW said:

I hope the logo music changes with every show.

That's a neat idea, I hope you're right!

Especially if each show has a different stylistic approach to the music.

Wait, Lola was in the logo?  Know your place, new kid!  I was questioning whether the mouse droid even deserved it, and it's been around for all 45 years!