Any recordings of the Rise of Skywalker concert material?

TheAvengerButton

The signature edition suite hasn’t been released yet…so it won’t happen until it’s out. I guess the Detroit symphony got a special permission to perform it. As far as recording it, my best guess is that it will be with JW or Lockhart and the BPO. But for some reason I’m not sure Williams wants it out there. At this rate I wouldn’t be surprised if the Obi Wan theme didn’t come out first.

If I'm not wrong the Rise of Skywalker Suite is made of these three pieces :

1. The Rise of Skywalker
  2. Reunion
  3. Finale

Product Cover for Symphonic Suite from Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

This motive is included in the Finale.

Yes, I know that's a cheap trick!

But remember ROTS's Finale is also longer than the ones from TFA and TLJ!

It’s four movements:

I. Psalm of the Sith

II. The Rise of Skywalker

III. Rey and Ben

IV. The Speeder Chase

2 hours ago, Andy said:

No Anthem of Evil?  

The first movement is Psalm of the Sith, which uses that theme, as well as Kylo Ren’s theme.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but to this day, we don't have the score of this reworked suite.

It's maybe why there's no official re-recording yet...

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/05/2022 at 6:30 PM, ricsim88 said:

Just received an email from Hal Leonard. The suite is scheduled to be released mid July. It wouldn’t be surprising if JW performed something from it at the Hollywood Bowl.

JW has finally found it in his heart to forgive JJ

9 hours ago, ConorPower said:

Ireland's National Symphony Orchestra included it at the JW 90th birthday concert: (1:59:07)

They also included it as part of a May the Fourth concert which I believe was broadcast on the radio (RTÉ Lyric FM), but can't seem to find a record of it in an archive. 

Oh I love that music!! And oh I hate when it doesn't go anywhere. Only rubatos. Nice playing though.

One of Williams most beautiful themes of all time.

This seems just like the OST track played slower. I wonder if JW made some tweaks for the upcoming June 23 performance

I agree, KM.  It's probably why I'm one of a handful of people who enjoys the film.  I can't separate the two.

8 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Wow, slow!

But still very lovely.  I don't mind them lingering a bit.

Also, a perfect lead-in to the Main Title March.  When I listen to the score, I place TROS at the very beginning, to serve as an "Overture" and get my ears warmed up and balanced for the score proper to start with the fanfare blast.

No baton for this piece...like Blomstedt? Otherwhise a Soltiesque rowing technique.

He takes it like Mahler or Bruckner.

I am still wondering which parts of Bruckner's 4th and Mahler 10th TROS reminds me of. 

On 28/05/2022 at 9:00 PM, BrotherSound said:

It’s four movements:

I. Psalm of the Sith

II. The Rise of Skywalker

III. Rey and Ben

IV. The Speeder Chase

The first movement is Psalm of the Sith, which uses that theme, as well as Kylo Ren’s theme.

A Rey and Ben section? Be still my heart!

4 hours ago, CourtneyNeedsAW said:

A Rey and Ben section? Be still my heart!

I am too lazy to look for it, but we has a discussion on a Michigan performance of the suite and the performance above on in the RoS music thread a couple months back.  Someone at that time had more info on the Rey and Ben piece. 

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

I am too lazy to look for it, but we has a discussion on a Michigan performance of the suite and the performance above on in the RoS music thread a couple months back.  Someone at that time had more info on the Rey and Ben piece. 

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34056-rise-of-skywalker-suite-with-detroit-symphony-orchestra/

4 hours ago, Tom said:

I would love to hear it! I wonder if there's a hint of a love theme in there.

Yeah so from that thread, "Rey and Ben" is essentially "Farewell" with a different ending, right? The concert piece somehow diverges once it hits the Victory stuff and we don't know really know in what way?

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Yeah so from that thread, "Rey and Ben" is essentially "Farewell" with a different ending, right? The concert piece somehow diverges once it hits the Victory stuff and we don't know really know in what way?

That’s right: one musician shared their part, and it was clear that it goes into something else at the spot where the victory theme first appears in ‘Farewell’, but we just don’t know yet what that something else is, or how long it continues.

• 4 months later...

Apparently the New York Pops played the TROS suite in its entirety just a couple of weeks ago?!  Who knew?  I found this by accident today!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/cabaret/article/Review-The-New-York-Pops-Soar-With-THE-MUSIC-OF-STAR-WARS-at-Carnegie-Hall-20221027

52 minutes ago, igger6 said:

Apparently the New York Pops played the TROS suite in its entirety just a couple of weeks ago?!  Who knew?  I found this by accident today!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/cabaret/article/Review-The-New-York-Pops-Soar-With-THE-MUSIC-OF-STAR-WARS-at-Carnegie-Hall-20221027

Nice find.  Evidently, even though the suite is not available for general purchase, it is readily available to orchestras.  

The Forest Battle and The Flag Parade - I would love to hear those live. I even had a dream once in which Williams conducted The Forest Battle in a park near the house I grew up in. And I wish Williams would record his Flag Parade concert version, and of course the latest suite as well. Will he ever revisit Star Wars for more albums? If you're reading this, do for the latter two trilogies what you did for the first one: a compilation of concert works. Please!

5 minutes ago, pete said:

The Forest Battle and The Flag Parade - I would love to hear those live. I even had a dream once in which Williams conducted The Forest Battle in a park near the house I grew up in. And I wish Williams would record his Flag Parade concert version, and of course the latest suite as well. Will he ever revisit Star Wars for more albums? If you're reading this, do for the latter two trilogies what you did for the first one: a compilation of concert works. Please!

I heard the Flag Parade live twenty or so years ago (not conducted by Williams).  It is an adrenaline-fueled piece, particularly live.  It has the obvious nods to Rozsa, but it is its own thing--I would say darker. less regal, more gritty than the Charioteers.  

10 minutes ago, cuartosur said:

NOW, WE NEED  "THE LAST JEDI" SUITE THAT INCLUDES A CONCERT VERSION OF " THE FATHIERS , THE CHROME DOME/HOLDO´S THEME, 

Definitely the Fathiers.  I would add The Spark.  I wonder what goes through his head with the SW suites.  II, III, and VIII are the only singles.  I kind of see that with II (though Chase through Coruscant would be great).  III offered all sorts of possibilities (Grievious, Anakin's Betrayal and Dark Deeds).  Sometimes I think he needs more self-confidence.  

• 8 months later...

https://www.bso.org/events/boston-pops-star-wars-music

https://www.bso.org/events/star-wars-the-story-in-music#:~:text=Take%20an%20intergalactic%20musical%20journey,and%20iconic%20music%20to%20life 

A part of this program will feature pieces from the Suite, a source tells me it's an excerpt(?) of Speeder Chase, Rey and Ben and TROS with an attaca to End Credits. Are any of you going there?