The Music of John Williams (Melbourne Symphony Orchestra)

Quppa

How were the medleys?

Cantina Band--particularly the over the top concert arrangment, is a perfect way to end a celebratory concert.  

The medleys were fun -  half 'meet the orchestra' and half illustrating how the same musical features appear across the various love themes and flying themes.

Well I was on the standby list but never heard back, so guess I won't be attending this :(

My own fault for forgetting to buy tickets when they went on sale. Sounds like it was a great concert!

It was clearly successful, maybe they'll consider further concerts later in the year.

It's very encouraging that they sold out 2 concerts and shows there's a market beyond the (also successful) LTP performances. As much as I'd personally enjoy seeing celebratory concerts for composers like Thomas Newman, Michael Giacchino, John Powell, Clint Mansell or Alexandre Desplat, I suspect only Williams and Zimmer (and Joe Hisaishi, who has toured here twice) have the popularity to shift ~5,000 (not cheap) tickets.

Especially after the last few years, must be great for the MSO to be back performing concerts in front of a capacity crowd. Our city is alive again!

Here's hoping they can squeeze a few more performances in towards the end of the year. NGL, pretty gutted I missed this :(

14 hours ago, Quppa said:

Love theme medley

cool!

(arr. Nicholas Buc): Marion's Theme (excerpt, solo tuba), Princess Leia's Theme (excerpt, solo viola), Han Solo and the Princess (excerpt, solo timpani), Across the Stars (excerpt),

Nice!

Stars Wars (Main Title) (excerpt, brass section), The Imperial March (excerpt, brass section), The Raiders March (excerpt, brass section), Theme from Superman (excerpt, brass section), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (excerpt)

.... what?

This sounds amazing! @PoggoAOTS, any chance we'll get a follow-up podcast, with or without excerpts?  I've missed hearing you guys lately!