Official Patrick Doyle Thread

Bespin

Patrick Doyle (born 6 April 1953) is a Scottish film composer with Irish heritage.  A longtime collaborator of actor-director Kenneth Branagh, Doyle is known for his work composing for films such as Henry V, Sense and Sensibility, Hamlet, Carlito's Way, and Gosford Park, as well as Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Thor, Brave, Cinderella, and Murder on the Orient Express.

Doyle has been nominated for two Academy Awards and two Golden Globe Awards, and is the recipient of the ASCAP Henry Mancini Award for "outstanding achievements and contributions to the world of film and television music".

I created this thread, because as my knowledge of film music in general is evolving, Patrick Doyle appears more and more as an essential and respected "living" composer.

Any favourites of Patrick Doyle?

Murder on The Orient Express, Henry V, Carlito's way, Much ado about nothing, Sense & Sensibility, Hamlet, Gosford Park, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Eragon, Rise of the planet of the apes?

My introduction was Dead Again, followed soon by FrankensteinMuch Ado About Nothing, and Henry V - the latter two are still favourites. Carlito's Way is quite brilliantly scored in the finale, with that effective little time motif.

In more recent years, it seems Doyle's music has become more generic, affecting both themes and orchestration. Probably a matter of adapting to the current state of Hollywood film music (I believe composers today mostly have 3 options: a) adapt to an expectation and workflow that rarely allows for individuality and leaves not time for writing sophisticated underscore; a+) be a project manager for a team of composers who can write more music in a short time, but inevitably end up being just as generic; b) stick to your style and M.O. and only score a few very select projects (Williams can afford that, but few others); or c) quit film scoring and write other music). But scores Brave and Cinderella show that he can still shine with his own voice when he gets the chance.

I really don't remember what was the first Doyle's score I've listenned but Murder on the Orient Express is certainly the first one which make me to revist his works outside of the movie I was watching, that's Justice track is pure gold!

Now I've been a big fan of his Goblet of Fire, Brave and Thor (the later espacially for the main theme)

I love Doyle. I at least like every score he's ever written. My favourite might be Indochine, which has a theme I can never get enough of. 

I imagine most people will respond by saying that Doyle has lost is way in recent years, but I'd counter that by saying that Cinderella and Murder on the Orient Express are two of the best scored Hollywood movies of recent times. Doyle's score for the latter tells Christie's story far better on album than Branagh did on film. And Cinderella is just a marvel of a score (and film!). Always present, always gently guiding the viewer along but never becoming cloying or insincere... I think it's magic.

Doyle is single-handedly responsible for making me pay attention to film music with his Goblet of Fire masterpiece. And I'm not ashamed to say it here. I hated every JW score I ever heard as a child and teenager until I was tired of baroque, watched Far and Away and my 'eyes' were opened. My musical life would have been completely different had it not been for Patrick Doyle.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Nowadays his non-film works are the most interesting.

I found Impressions of America a disappointment when it came out, and have rarely revisited it. It's pretty much minimal competent "Doyle light", with just one or two cues that stand out (and those still aren't anything special). Has anyone heard his new Scottish piano thing yet?

3 minutes ago, Omen II said:

I have fond memories of a concert he did with the London Symphony Orchestra to raise money for Leukaemia Research (now Blood Cancer UK) at the Royal Albert Hall a few years ago.  My sister was undergoing treatment for leukaemia at the time and it gave us a real boost.

I still regret not travelling to London for that concert (I assume it is the one that also had Branagh and Thompson as special guests - or has he done more than one LSO concert?). From what I'm told he also had a signing session and was hilarious throughout it. A friend got me his autograph on Much Ado About Nothing, but sadly he signed the inside of the booklet, so I still hope to get a chance to have him sign a front cover someday (I'd probably pick the Much Ado Blu on that occasion).

It seems I waited a little too long before getting interested by this WONDERFULL album released in 2015.

The album is on the streaming sites, but I can't find the physical CD anywhere at a decent price, any ideas?

Primary

23 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I still regret not travelling to London for that concert (I assume it is the one that also had Branagh and Thompson as special guests - or has he done more than one LSO concert?).

Yes, that was the one - in October 2007.  There was also a 60th birthday concert with the LSO at the Barbican in 2013.

I was at the Barbican concert - he walked about in the audience as if it was a pub, chatting to everyone. I got him to sign two items and had a nice chat. He is a brilliant guy.

The Carlito's Way above really showcases his firebrand of a talent, but really, in the 1990s, Doyle could do no wrong:

Or even this cue from the Little Princess, such a showcase for the 1990s Doyle action style:

Such a great late Doyle score>

A great Navarro performance but can't do Doyle. Frankenstein is much more complex and probably needs the Danish guys.....

• 8 months later...

Patrick Doyle has written a coronation march for King Charlie..

A Coronation March has been written by Patrick Doyle, an award-winning Scottish composer best known for his work on films like “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire,” “Gosford Park” and “Carlito’s Way.”

Andrew Lloyd Webber has also written music for the coronation. 

10 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

I'm really looking forward to A Haunting in Venice. Death on the Nile really grew on me once I'd figured out what the themes actually represent.

Reviewers all called this theme a general love theme, when it's actually a theme specific for Linnet. 1:03 onwards.

Similarly, what was often called the mystery or conspiracy theme is actually a theme specifically for

Reveal hidden contents

. 0:09

The entire score clicked for me once I'd realised this. Take the following cue:

0:33 - 1:20 plays as 

Reveal hidden contents

At 2:10 in this cue

Reveal hidden contents

There are definitely around 10 - 15 minutes here where the music just coasts and broods in the background, but the musical storytelling, on the whole, is absolutely brilliant. I notice more on every listen.

Nice observations! I love this score and especially the way in which the themes are used. I’m also looking forward to Haunting in Venice.

Yesterday I discovered the score (and the movie) "Carlito's Way", great!

Almost anachronic in the movie, it's a sublime old-school score with great emotional moments, and also a long action-themed suite at the end of the movie.

Great addition to my disco and surely one of the best Patrick Doyle score he ever wrote!

• 1 month later...
39 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

This is really disappointing. I was really looking forward to this score, I love Doyle’s work on Orient Express and Nile. I think it’s safe to say that Hildur probably won’t write a similar score… they seem to be leaning into the horror angle quite a bit with the poster so maybe that explains the composer change.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

There's a teaser trailer out too

Yes and it looks a lot like a horror movie based on the trailer. Very different from the typical Christie films.

Just now, ddddeeee said:

All the Doyle scores that touch on horror - Dead Again, Frankenstein, Needful Things - are great. I'm so disappointed.

Yes Doyle can definitively do horror. This was one of the scores that I was really looking forward to this year, as I thought Doyle was doing it.

It's a real shame. I would've loved to hear horror/thriller score by Doyle again.

I hope we get an explanation from either Brannagh or Doyle. Because they worked together on every single film he directed since the 80's. Real shame.

Maybe Doyle has projects coming up that take up to much of his time

22 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Probably Branagh just wanted a cooler, hipper, younger, more modern composer instead of ol' dusty Patrick Doyle. Kinda like McQuarrie with Balfe. 

It's infuriating. Orient Express has one of the best cues Doyle ever wrote.

I honestly don’t think that this is the reason, I hope we will know someday.

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

Lorne Balfe is only 4 years younger than Joe Kraemer

In calendar years, yeah. But in terms of musical style, Balfe's is much more "hip and trendy" among the core demographics Hollywood loves to pander to.

Meanwhile, poor Joe Kraemer has been all but forgotten by the big studios.

7 hours ago, Alex said:

It might be the coronation stuff taking up most of his time.

Given the pace at which film composers can write, I can't imagine it would have taken him more than a week or so to write a 4 minute piece, even if he took longer than usual on it. I don't believe he's the musical director for the coronation or anything so I can't imagine his involvement would be especially time consuming. Plus, given that Branagh has been so dedicated in hiring Doyle for his movies (with exceptions such as Belfast, for what I would consider solid, artistic reasons) it would seem odd to change now, especially given the additional kudos being commissioned for the coronation would bring. Anyone can win an Oscar, not many people get to write something for the British monarch's coronation (factually true whether you love, hate or are indifferent about them!).

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Probably Branagh just wanted a cooler, hipper, younger, more modern composer instead of ol' dusty Patrick Doyle. Kinda like McQuarrie with Balfe. 

Problem is, whatever hip or cool composer Branagh choses, it will neither make him nor his movies hipper and cooler.

25 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Given the pace at which film composers can write, I can't imagine it would have taken him more than a week or so to write a 4 minute piece, even if he took longer than usual on it. I don't believe he's the musical director for the coronation or anything so I can't imagine his involvement would be especially time consuming. Plus, given that Branagh has been so dedicated in hiring Doyle for his movies (with exceptions such as Belfast, for what I would consider solid, artistic reasons) it would seem odd to change now, especially given the additional kudos being commissioned for the coronation would bring. Anyone can win an Oscar, not many people get to write something for the British monarch's coronation (factually true whether you love, hate or are indifferent about them!).

According to his instagram post, he just finished his coronation march yesterday. 

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

In calendar years, yeah.

Not to mention mental age.

22 minutes ago, Jaaaackified said:

According to his instagram post, he just finished his coronation march yesterday. 

Isn't that a bit late?

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Isn't that a bit late?

Well the coronation hasn't happened yet so guess that's fine?! I look forward to the tie-in album (although will probably just get the Doyle piece unless any of the others get especially good reports) but I'll be in France not watching it and thinking about French history ;-)

1 minute ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Well the coronation hasn't happened yet so guess that's fine?! I look forward to the tie-in album (although will probably just get the Doyle piece unless any of the others get especially good reports) but I'll be in France not watching it and thinking about French history ;-)

I thought for a moment it's happening this weekend, but I now realize it's the next.