Mark Griskey's STAR WARS: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC II (Disney Records 2022)

crumbs

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Has this been posted yet? Disney just officially released a KOTOR 2 soundtrack.

https://www.disneymusiclicensing.com/album/MTk2Mzg2My0wNWRkYjQ

Very cool! Checked on Spotify and it isn't out yet - looks like June 8th is when it will release.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Has this been posted yet? Disney just officially released a KOTOR 2 soundtrack.

https://www.disneymusiclicensing.com/album/MTk2Mzg2My0wNWRkYjQ

See?

4 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

@Manakin Skywalker Totally called it!

Uh! I did too! 

One of the best Star Wars soundtracks period. Probably third after the Williams stuff and Solo without thinking of it much. 

I'm really excited for some of you to listen to it for the first time if you missed it because it was attached to a video game in 2004.

You have to remember that this is a video game from a different time. During this time, film scores were more like this too. 

Something like Lego Star Wars The Skywalker Saga has the dullest, bad imitation John Williams music you've ever heard.

That is, when they're not abusing John Williams's music in editing. 

2 hours ago, Positivatee said:

My Kotor 2 album is 71 minutes. This album is 42:11.

Not quite. The Wiki entry is incorrect, as it is based off of the in-game files, many of which are repeated and looped.

The real runtime is about 58 minutes, so we'll be missing about 16 minutes of music.

4 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

You have to remember that this is a video game from a different time. During this time, film scores were more like this too. 

Something like Lego Star Wars The Skywalker Saga has the dullest, bad imitation John Williams music you've ever heard.

That is, when they're not abusing John Williams's music in editing. 

Eh, no. Lego Skywalker Saga is the odd one out here

All of the other main Star Wars games post-Disney acquisition have had authentic and lush orchestral scores. EA Battlefront 1 and 2, SWTOR (namely Knights of the Fallen Empire and Knights of the Eternal Throne expansions), Squadrons, and Jedi Fallen Order. There’s also Lego Force Awakens although that was all Williams. Writing out this list makes me realise how little games EA put out during their monopoly, thank goodness the license is more open now

There is something awkward about the cue you posted but I think it’s mostly the mixing and cheap sound of the digital instruments, I actually quite like that little soaring string section, I just wish it didn’t sound like it was coming out of a tin can

8 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

That's great news!

I wonder which track the KOTOR II March is.

That’s an original piece Griskey composed that plays in the end credits. It has a very unique feel to it, I’m excited to hear people’s reactions

1 hour ago, DarthDementous said:

That’s an original piece Griskey composed that plays in the end credits. It has a very unique feel to it, I’m excited to hear people’s reactions

And during the Telos battle, iirc.

54 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

And during the Telos battle, iirc.

Quite possibly! I keep finding out that a lot of music I thought was unused actually plays during that battle, like some of the cues originally intended for the cut planet M4-78

I don't really understand why you'd go to all the trouble to finally release a soundtrack for this game, then leave a good chunk of the score unreleased? 

Is it an AFM fee thing? 

16 minutes out of the whole 58 is a good chunk?

Griskey had been trying to figure out how to play his source files prior to the release being announced, so I assume this was all he could find or wanted to release.

16 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

That's great news!

I wonder which track the KOTOR II March is.

Love that one!!

Also love the one that sounds akin to the Droid March called Battle the Monster.

The music when Darth Sion first appears, as well as the Nihilus material, is just great.

Maybe we’ll get The Force Unleashed someday!!!

2 hours ago, artus_grayboot said:

Love that one!!

Also love the one that sounds akin to the Droid March called Battle the Monster.

The music when Darth Sion first appears, as well as the Nihilus material, is just great.

Maybe we’ll get The Force Unleashed someday!!!

Oh man we absolutely need the TFU scores, if nothing but to separate the new material from the re-used Williams tracks

21 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Not quite. The Wiki entry is incorrect, as it is based off of the in-game files, many of which are repeated and looped.

The real runtime is about 58 minutes, so we'll be missing about 16 minutes of music.

Neato. 

4 hours ago, Positivatee said:

Not necessarily. The Skyrim soundtrack is still available for sale and at Spotify. 

Tbf wasn't that on sale before the allegations? I'm not sure there will be any further Jeremy Soule releases now though.

40 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Tbf wasn't that on sale before the allegations? I'm not sure there will be any further Jeremy Soule releases now though.

I really don't care. I have my bootleg copy that I extracted from the game files and downloaded the rest from a fun place.

Jeremy Soule is a garbage human being. He should be in prison.

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Hire mark griskey then…

He has publicly expressed interest at doing that, just depends if Lucasfilm remembers that he exists

1 hour ago, Positivatee said:

Innocent before guilty, except for certain crimes. 

I just want to make sure I’m understanding this correctly, you’re okay with taking allegations as true before proven in a court of law for certain types of crimes?

Yeah for me it kind of depends on the individual case, and in this case I think the allegations are probably true. They're just too specific and bizarre to not be. Plus Soule never denied them, he just deleted his social media accounts and disappeared. Idk if he's worked at all since. He's always just seemed like kind of a creepy dude to me, long before said allegations.

5 hours ago, Giftheck said:

Ooh, going back in time, are we? KOTOR2 had some pretty good music.

Hopefully TFU gets one too. Quick, somebody upload the two promos and see if they get copyright-struck!

I've had them up for years, nothing just yet! I'll be sure to make a post if anything happens though... 

1 hour ago, Van_Etten said:

Oh no, that’s quite sad. This indicates that they didn’t work with Griskey on this and continues the long line of him being ignored by Lucasfilm

Its clear to me now that this was just to coincide with the Switch port

1 hour ago, DarthDementous said:

Oh no, that’s quite sad. This indicates that they didn’t work with Griskey on this and continues the long line of him being ignored by Lucasfilm

Its clear to me now that this was just to coincide with the Switch port

Part of me thinks he's just joking (hence the "lol"). He did just post last month that he was in talks with folks at Disney.

45 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Part of me thinks he's just joking (hence the "lol"). He did just post last month that he was in talks with folks at Disney.

I hope so, it's hard to tell because he also recently said that he "never expected this to happen" so maybe he just never got a confirmation until it was publicly confirmed

EDIT: Wow, there's music on this soundtrack that I don't think I've ever heard before

I haven't listened to the full album yet (waiting for it to show up on Qobuz!) but in the samples on the Disney licensing site I definitely heard a lot of little bits here and there that I know aren't in the game (or even used in SWTOR). Even if this isn't a "complete" release, it's still worth it to finally be able to listen to some previously unheard bits!