Which score is Doug Adams referring to here?

Alex

Saw this on Twitter. Curious to know which score he’s talking about it. Suggestions welcome.

16 minutes ago, Counterparts said:

Dominion?

I thought that originally, but having listened to it, I didn’t think there was anything particularly egregious about it.

Highly doubt Doug would seek out Superpets, and Thor 4 isn't out till July.

Don't think there would be much previous material for Lightyear to use?

That's a harsh take from Doug. I could see it being Dominion. Has he offered opinions on Gia's work before? If not Rogue One, what else could 2016 be a reference to? 

10 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

If he's going to state opinions like that then he should be transparent and tell us exactly what he is referring to.

7 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

If he makes a comment like this he should really explain which score and why he thinks this.

This is a bit weird I feel.

#CrypticallyGrumpy

It won't be Strange. Though the references are fleeting, I can't see why anyone would think they were poorly handled musically. Plus he seems to be an Elfman fan in general.

It'll be a clunky version of a Williams theme in Jurassic World. The 2016 comment is probably referring to Rogue One, which would make sense to reference. It would inspire a more...passionate response.

Okay I just listened to Dominion. 

He handles Williams’ themes in about the same manner as he did in Rogue One.  I’m not really a fan of how he extends or shortens phrases and changes the underlying harmony and even changes some of the notes. 

Speaking of Doug Adams...is he or was he ever working on a Music of the Indiana Jones films book?

I remember there was some hint at it a while ago on here, or his Twitter.

I could see it maybe being Dominion only in the sense that Gia does quite a few quotes of JW's themes but never actually finishes them. See Ladder and Subtract at 2:25. It builds up awesomely to the island fanfare, then stops. There's nothing wrong with the quotes themselves... he just leaves them unresolved. That may be a criticism of the film that he came up with a nice handful of really good ideas but wasn't given the room to properly develop a lot of them.

He doesn't just do it to Williams' themes either... track 3 gives us a kick ass rendition of Pratt's theme (I think) which gets torn away just as it resolves.

But if he's talking about Jurassic, why did he mention the year 2016? The first Jurassic World came out in June 2015, not 2016.

The only big movies this year that are sequels to stuff released in 2016 are Fantastic Beasts 3 and Doctor Strange 2, IIRC.

Unless, of course, he wrote a typo.

There's no indication in his tweet that the development of another composer's theme that he didn't like in 2022 is from the same franchise, or even the same composer, as the development of another composer's theme he didn't like in 2016.

I think he means that it's the worst use of a theme since of film that was released in 2016.

He could mean Rogue One and the force theme in Trust Goes Both Ways. Other than that there are some other scores from 2016 with themes from other composers:

Star Wars Rebels: Season 2 (Williams themes)

The Jungle Book (Geoge Bruns theme + Sherman Brothers theme)

The Angry Birds (Original game theme)

X-Men: Apocalypse (Beethoven's 7th Symphony)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows (Original theme)

Ghostbusters (Ray Parker Jr. theme)

Ice Age: Collision Course (Themes by David Newman & John Powell)

The Magnificent Seven (Theme by Elmer Bernstein)

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them (Williams theme)

I would be surprised if the means either Jungle Book, Ghostbusters, The Magnificent Seven or Fantastic Beasts because in these score the themes were handled (quite) tastefully.

And Angry Birds, X-Men, TMNT & Ice Age don't really warrant a reaction like this because they're not 'big' enough I think.

So he probably means either Rebels or Rogue One

• 2 weeks later...

TBF, JWD sounded a lot less like a Giacchino score than normal. I... think this post summed it up best:

Maybe Giacchino was unhappy with the final product too. Doug Adams should just come out and say what score he's referring to.

Agreed, @Richard Penna, it's all a bit unprofessional, isn't it?

I know that it is fashionable to criticize Giacchino, these days, (and I am not saying that it is he to whom Adams is referring), but I don't see the need for jibes, and insinuation, especially from someone inside the industry. If someone has something to say, why not come out and say it?