Michael Giacchino's NEXT GOAL WINS (2023)

Max

great yet another giacchino

7 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Jesus at least another opportunity to score a non blockbuster for Gia. He rarely scores straight dramas which is kinda bizarre to me.

hypothesis: he must be really nice to do anything with (the main currency), which may be why he gets the phone for all the stressful things

Called it.

On 01/01/2022 at 2:34 PM, Jay said:

Oooh I wonder if Giacchino will score Next Goal Wins

On 02/01/2022 at 4:33 PM, Jay said:

I am very intrigued to find out who will score Next Goal Wins

On 25/01/2022 at 4:23 PM, Jay said:

Next Goal Wins, probably

On 16/02/2022 at 7:34 PM, Jay said:

(he'll probably score Next Goal Wins too) 

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like this isn't coming out til next year 

On 09/06/2022 at 4:40 AM, Brónach said:

hypothesis: he must be really nice to do anything with (the main currency), which may be why he gets the phone for all the stressful things

He's always seemed like a very sweet man

9 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Looks like this isn't coming out til next year 

Bummer!

• 4 months later...

Hope this and the Fincher movie are good. Kinda wild to think back 10 years ago when it really felt like Michael Fassbender was on the verge of a major career. I wouldn't have guessed in 2012 that Adam Driver would be running laps around him. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Meh, I used to like Waititi when he was an indie New Zealand filmmaker (The Hunt for the Wilderpeople is a masterpiece). But since coming to Hollywood (and especially to Disney), I've grown kinda disenchanted with him. Thor L&T was one of the worst movies of the last year.

• 6 months later...

I really like the final 7-minute suite. Alsways enjoy those when Giacchino does them.

I appreciated the score more after hearing that. The score is a nice diversion from the bigger scores Giacchino does (which I love!). Really excited for his Society Of The Snow as well. That could be a score of the year contender

I found the score to be pretty average, and I also feel that the best thing is the suite, encapsulating the best this score has to offer. Nice use of vocals and some cool rock parts in the middle, but not much else.

But I think Society of Snow will be a truly great score! Bayona's films always have great music, and that single reminded me a lot of LOST, which for me is Giacchino's best work, so really excited for that!

Just got done listening.  It's OK.  I appreciated Michael branching out into new styles, but most of the time this album didn't really do much for me. 

The suite track was a nice individual piece, but the album as a whole felt more like a collection of different ideas than a narrative of any kind.

Yeah, indeed. It's nice.

But it dles really have that feeling of being score inbetween needle drops. Just like Jojo Rabbit was.

I think besides the suite, my favorite cue on the album is "I'm Nicky Salapu"

The suite-like track at the end is a good souvenir from this work but that's about it for me.

As for the suite, the first round of vocal parts are a little odd and feel somewhat unbalanced to my ears. It is like the female vocals (or at least a certain singer's voice) are way to the front and everything else is placed behind a divider, wall or something. But outside of that it is fine.

Score portions don't really translate well to the album, imho. But I am glad everything gets released these days, so I don't have to speculate what the rest of the work sounds like, and decide upon a playlist myself.