Jaws (in 3D) and E.T. IMAX Rereleases (2022)

Andy

E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial and Jaws will reportedly be coming to IMAX theaters. 

E.T. will be August 12 in celebration of the 40th Anniversary. 

Jaws will be September 2, with a 3D IMAX Post-conversion. 

Source: Deadline

I am super excited for both, but  more for Jaws in 3D (not to be confused with the third sequel Jaws 3-D). I’m a huge 3D nut, so this is hopefully really happening, and hopefully a 3D Blu-Ray will follow. (Yes, projector owners are still enthusiastic 3D supporters)

No word on whether the sound mixes will be original or updated. 

2 hours ago, Andy said:

By "sound mixes", do you mean the original mono mix, or the 5.1 mix used in recent rereleases?

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Can't wait for the one 4 second shot in Jaws that will look cool in 3D

The zoom-dolly, on the beach?

Was lucky to see Jaws on the big screen back in the 2010's when Universal were putting their film's back in the cinema when premiering them on Blu-ray. Jurassic Park in IMAX 3-d was one of the best conversions I've seen, so no doubt Jaws will be equally great. Just hope this and ET come to the UK.

JAWS was originally released in 2D with a mono soundtrack.

It was one of the most exciting films ever made.

Why does it have to be " improved"?

😒

4 hours ago, Andy said:

E.T. - The Extra-Terrestrial and Jaws will reportedly be coming to IMAX theaters. 

E.T. will be August 12 in celebration of the 40th Anniversary. 

Jaws will be September 2, with a 3D IMAX Post-conversion. 

Source: Deadline

I am super excited for both, but  more for Jaws in 3D (not to be confused with the third sequel Jaws 3-D). I’m a huge 3D nut, so this is hopefully really happening, and hopefully a 3D Blu-Ray will follow. (Yes, projector owners are still enthusiastic 3D supporters)

Of course it will be " stereoized" and " Dolbyized" and " Atmosized".

So 😥

20 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

For E.T. please bring back the brillant original version, Not that mutilated 25th anniversary version.

That's "20 anniversary version" :)

I believe that Spielberg has changed his mind, about the walkie-talkies.

I would certainly not watch that "mutilated" version, of which you speak.

A Dolby Atmos JAWS, on the other hand, might just sound brilliant, as long as it's mixed from the original mono elements, and not taken from the current DVD/Blu Ray mix.

I keep thinking of all of the amazing shots that will be incredible in 3D... Anything shot right at the water level is going to be insanely cool.  Water in general tends to be very effective in 3D because of its natural planar depth of field.  The underwater shots of all the 4th of July swimmers, Ben Gardner's boat...  It's not just about pop outs, although I hope there are some.  Chrissy's arm, the shark breaking through the Orca's glass...

If you don't like 3D, nothing I say will change your mind.  And I get it... mileage varies.  Some people physically get nauseous.  Some people just call it a (ugh) "gimmick". [An argument that makes no sense, because by that logic, moving pictures with musical scores themselves are gimmicks... they're not real].  And many audiences want to be able to check their phone during a film, or not wear glasses, or they just don't see the same effect due to vision differences.

As for me, well....

Moon Bicycle GIF

I'm over the Moon!

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

By "sound mixes", do you mean the original mono mix, or the 5.1 mix used in recent rereleases?

At home, I always go with the mono mix, but with IMAX, I get it if they want to use a 5.1  or Atmos mix.   Not crazy about replaced sound effects, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

For an IMAX presentation in 3D, I would lean towards the original sounds, but remixed for the IMAX experience.  Purism be damned.

6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A Dolby Atmos JAWS, on the other hand, might just sound brilliant, as long as it's mixed from the original mono elements, and not taken from the current DVD/Blu Ray mix.

What is the bluray mix like?

Did they rerecord sfx or just do a fake stereo mix by moving sounds around to give the illusion of stereo.

I assume the music is TRUE stereo?

Btw if you had the misfortune of seeing GOOD, BAD, UGLY

" remixed in Dolby Stereo 5.1 " you would know why I'm down on.the practice.😵

I'm totally okay with them using original elements to create a surround field, even if they punch up certain things.  I can always watch the original version with the original mono mix if I want.

9 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

For E.T. please bring back the brillant original version, Not that mutilated 25th anniversary version.

8 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

2 hours ago, SpaceCoyote said:

It’s the original version.

This was Spielberg in 2011, I feel like he hasn't contradicted this in the decade since 

There’s going to be no more digital enhancements or digital additions to anything based on any film I direct. I’m not going to do any corrections digitally to even wires that show.

If 1941 comes on Blu-Ray I’m not going to go back and take the wires out because the Blu-Ray will bring the wires out, that are guiding the airplanes down Hollywood Blvd. At this point right now I think letting movies exist in the era, with all the flaws and with all of the flourishes, is a wonderful way to mark time and mark history.

I’m in total agreement with you. I wish you could talk George (Lucas) into doing the same thing!

Well, I can’t.

Yeah, I don’t think anybody can!

George goes his own way and I respect him for it, but my new philosophy about this is to let sleeping dogs lie.

That’s great news for film geeks. Anybody who appreciates film, that's like music to their ears.

When people ask me which E.T. they should look at, I always tell them to look at the original 1982 E.T. If you notice, when we did put out E.T. we put out two E.T.s. We put out the digitally enhanced version with the additional scenes and for no extra money, in the same package, we put out the original ‘82 version. I always tell people to go back to the ’82 version.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last night was the night of the Super Moon.  An appropriate evening to see E.T. in IMAX.

Go, if you can.  It was splendid.  A flawless presentation.  I had tears.  I had Reese's Pieces.  The cinematography really shines and the score is nice and loud.  It's 40, and I'm sure I've watched it once a year.  Did I ever notice that breathing face in the side of the redwood tree at the start?  I don't know.  Looking forward to Jaws in 3D IMAX.  Oddly, you'd have thought there would be a Jaws trailer attached to the E.T. IMAX presentation, but nope.

Go see it. 

Recently watched slices of some Zombie Shark flick on Amazon and found that this was actually better than Jaws - The Revenge. I am afraid, almost every movie in the whole world ever made is better than Jaws - The Revenge.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Recently watched slices of some Zombie Shark flick on Amazon and found that this was actually better than Jaws - The Revenge. I am afraid, almost every movie in the whole world ever made is better than Jaws - The Revenge.

Kids is worse than Jaws: The Revenge. And you might be able to find two or three more. But would you want to?

8 minutes ago, mstrox said:

You didn’t like Kids?

It's one of my go tos for the worst movie I have ever been subjected to. I saw it when I was 28, so I can't imagine my opinion would be improved by seeing it now as a cranky old man. 

For me, kids was very much a product of its time, part of the mess of shaggy indies that came out in the mid-90s probably on the back of some of Linklater’s successes at the time (Clerks would fit in the same category).  I don’t love Kids, but I like it well enough for what it is.  In a general sense, I’m with Stu on Harmony Korine.  Spring Breakers especially was a Really Bad Movie (and far worse than Kids, IMO).  Even that, though, I wouldn’t count among my Worst of the Worst.  

Nor would I count a Sharknado or any of their less acclaimed ilk as a Worst.  There’s a dumb joy in those things where it’s clear that the people know what they’re making and why.  Asylum is probably the digital equivalent of the Troma movies my buddies and I loved to watch as teenagers (I also have a buddy who has 9 Asylum writing credits including a couple of Shark movies, so maybe I’m biased!)

Bet there’d be some good discussion to be had in a worst of the worst movies thread.

47 minutes ago, Stu said:

I can never decide if Harmony Korine is an amoral post-modern nihilist or secretly (perhaps even to himself) a deeply moralistic conservative.  Either way, his movies are miserable.

Never seen Kids, but your quote reminded me of this statement from bell hooks: "Kids fascinated me as a film precisely because when you heard about it, it seemed like the perfect embodiment of the kind of postmodern, notions of journeying and dislocation and fragmentation and yet when you go to see it, it has simply such a conservative take on gender, on race, on the politics of HIV."

JAWS will be in two versions: IMAX (but in 2D) and in "REAL 3D" (but not in Imax), so if you want to see it in IMAX and in 3D you will have to see it twice.

I'd love to see it in Imax and in 3D, but so far no news of it being shown down here.

2 hours ago, danbeck said:

JAWS will be in two versions: IMAX (but in 2D) and in "REAL 3D" (but not in Imax), so if you want to see it in IMAX and in 3D you will have to see it twice.

I'd love to see it in Imax and in 3D, but so far no news of it being shown down here.

Not true, according to Amblin. Unless I’m reading this statement wrong (it is a little word soupy)

Depending on availability, it will be in standard Real 3D and IMAX 3D as well as 2D IMAX. 
A5208B6B-D544-4B5F-86E1-B9CCDBDBF09C.jpeg8A4E7496-4ECF-4760-AFAD-CFCC74DA033A.jpeg

edit:

Similar confusion on their Twitter post

CB096B5B-FDFD-4717-88C5-215335CB942F.png

On 12/8/2022 at 8:16 AM, Andy said:

Last night was the night of the Super Moon.  An appropriate evening to see E.T. in IMAX.

Go, if you can.  It was splendid.  A flawless presentation.  I had tears.  I had Reese's Pieces.  The cinematography really shines and the score is nice and loud.  It's 40, and I'm sure I've watched it once a year.  Did I ever notice that breathing face in the side of the redwood tree at the start?  I don't know.  Looking forward to Jaws in 3D IMAX.  Oddly, you'd have thought there would be a Jaws trailer attached to the E.T. IMAX presentation, but nope.

Go see it. 

I saw it Friday night. There was a preview for the IMAX release of Jaws prior to the start of E.T., which got me excited for September. Regarding E.T. in IMAX, this was the perfect way to celebrate the 40th anniversary; just like when Jurassic Park was remastered and re-released in theaters in 3D in 2013, Close Encounters of the Third Kind was remastered/restored and re-released in theaters in 2017 and Schindler’s List was remastered/restored in theaters in 2018. I have all these films on 4K Blu-ray when they were restored in 4K and have watched them many times over the years, but to see E.T. in IMAX was a phenomenal experience, one that sticks with you long after the credits end. Heck, I may go see it in IMAX again next Friday. 

Definitely looking forward to this:

It really is amazing on such a huge screen.  Did I really never notice that animatronic face in the side of the redwood tree?

45 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

@Andy Are those the Sperry Jaws sneakers?  I know they've done a couple different releases over the years!

Yes, I went a little nuts over their new design featuring unused artwork from Jaws 2.  So my wife hooked me up for my birthday.  They’re still available. 

Sperry Jaws 2

I am seeing ET tonight. Very excited! Will definitely see Jaws in some form when it comes out.

By the way... I was rewatching ALL the Jaws films recently (I was just gonna skip the first film since I am seeing it in theaters soon, but I decided to at least have it on while doing something else haha). And when I got to Jaws 3... I was inspired to riff on it for some reason. I'm pretty stupid, but ya'll may enjoy. Note: It's a thread of multiple videos.