Jaws (in 3D) and E.T. IMAX Rereleases (2022)

Andy

There are delightful fashions for some of the Sea World guests  in Jaws 3D.  Once you see the guy in the overalls, you can't unsee him.

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

I am very curious about the Jaws 3D release.

Those here who’ve see. It, what did you think?

To be clear, are you referring to the 3D conversion of the original Jaws?  Or the sequel Jaws 3D?

The conversion isn't out until early September.

Here's a question:

JAWS is rereleased in IMAX, and 3D, but not in IMAX 3D.

Am I right? 

If so, who plans to see it twice: in IMAX, and 3D?

Here's another question: if you could only see it once, which format would you choose to see it in?

On 10/06/2022 at 3:58 PM, mrbellamy said:

This was Spielberg in 2011, I feel like he hasn't contradicted this in the decade since 

Probably a different time, but it makes me wonder why the shot of the truck falling off the cliff in Raiders was changed for a tv release one time.

Anyways, saw ET Friday night and it was absolutely brilliant. I had seen it once in theaters a few years back for an anniversary release. Can't wait for Jaws in a few weeks!

24 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Here's a question:

JAWS is rereleased in IMAX, and 3D, but not in IMAX 3D.

Am I right? 

If so, who plans to see it twice: in IMAX, and 3D?

Here's another question: if you could only see it once, which format would you choose to see it in?

I would see it in IMAX 3D if I could.  I've seen Jaws in 2D so many times, I can always see it in 2D.  It's really confusing the way Amblin has worded their social media promotion, because it sounded like there would be IMAX 3D, but now I'm not so sure.  So if it is just Real 3D but IMAX, I will see it in both formats.  If I had to choose, I would chose the 3D because I'm weird like that.

10 minutes ago, Brando said:

Probably a different time, but it makes me wonder why the shot of the truck falling off the cliff in Raiders was changed for a tv release one time.

I remember that.  Did that change make its way to any of the Blu Rays?

Edit:  Google is my friend.  Not, it didn't.  Thank goodness.  2008 CGI Cliff Experiment

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

I would see it in IMAX 3D if I could.  I've seen Jaws in 2D so many times, I can always see it in 2D.  It's really confusing the way Amblin has worded their social media promotion, because it sounded like there would be IMAX 3D, but now I'm not so sure.  So if it is just Real 3D but IMAX, I will see it in both formats.  If I had to choose, I would chose the 3D because I'm weird like that.

Yeah, when it was first announced I was like hopefully its IMAX and 3D because I'm not a fan of 3D.

6 minutes ago, Andy said:

I remember that.  Did that change make its way to any of the Blu Rays?

Edit:  Google is my friend.  Not, it didn't.  Thank goodness.  2008 CGI Cliff Experiment

So weird, its like the one ESB Special Edition change that was reverted was Luke's scream. I grew up with the SE of Empire and when I first saw the '04 DVD release at a friends sleepover birthday party my jaw dropped because the scream was gone! The memories:lol:

On 12/08/2022 at 7:16 AM, Andy said:

Last night was the night of the Super Moon.  An appropriate evening to see E.T. in IMAX.

Go, if you can.  It was splendid.  A flawless presentation.  I had tears.  I had Reese's Pieces.  The cinematography really shines and the score is nice and loud.  It's 40, and I'm sure I've watched it once a year.  Did I ever notice that breathing face in the side of the redwood tree at the start?  I don't know.  Looking forward to Jaws in 3D IMAX.  Oddly, you'd have thought there would be a Jaws trailer attached to the E.T. IMAX presentation, but nope.

Go see it. 

I had never seen the face.  Is that supposed to be a different type of alien, you suppose?  Either way, the movie looked and sounded phenomenal.

On 12/08/2022 at 2:16 PM, Andy said:

Did I ever notice that breathing face in the side of the redwood tree at the start?

Umm, what?

12 hours ago, Andy said:

To be clear, are you referring to the 3D conversion of the original Jaws?  Or the sequel Jaws 3D?

The conversion isn't out until early September.

The new conversion. I was under the impression that it was out already. So I can understand the confusion.

10 hours ago, rough cut said:

Umm, what?

6 hours ago, Brando said:

Inside the spaceship. I noticed it for the first time this viewing too. Super cool

There is a face of an old man, breathing slowly, in the side of one of the trees... from my memory it was in the forest, not the Spaceship interior, but I may be wrong.  I'll have to check my Blu-Ray.  Truly bizarre and wonderful.

37 minutes ago, Andy said:

There is a face of an old man, breathing slowly, in the side of one of the trees... from my memory it was in the forest, not the Spaceship interior, but I may be wrong.  I'll have to check my Blu-Ray.  Truly bizarre and wonderful.

35 minutes ago, SpaceCoyote said:

It’s in the spaceship. Seeing it in theaters this weekend was my first time noticing it as well.

Yeah its inside the spaceship after it passes over the weird plants. Such a great shot

With the release of Jaws in IMAX and 3D maybe the score will finally be back in print, like ET.

And it would be even better if additional material was added (such as the film version of the marching band and other source that Williams may have vetoed on the 2015 version) and/or if on the preparation of the sound for the new release they found new elements such as multitracks for the score or the album masters).

@scallengerYES!!! The sonic benefit of the IMAX presentation can’t be overstated.  It’s nice that it’s a separate theater and you can’t hear the thumping from the theater next to you. My main complaint of basic multiplex presentation is they have to keep it too quiet because of the adjacent theater and sound proofing. 

3 hours ago, scallenger said:

Saw ET last night and yup, all I can do is echo with everyone else saying how amazing it was. Sadly the nearest IMAX for me is one of those Regal fake ones, lol. But at least it was LOUD. Like the music was BLARING, and I wouldn't have had it any other way. Hearing it that loud and in surround sound was incredible. The music and the movie itself... it was hard to hold back tears. There were definitely some that still escaped. The theater had a small crowd, that clustered sort of close together, and people were INTO IT. Such a nice experience.

I also echo being one of those people who had NEVER noticed the "old man" face on the tree inside the ship before! Wow! Hahaha. That was a surprise to finally notice that detail.

I'm excited to see Jaws next, and am debating between IMAX or 3D for it (although will choose IMAX 3D if available). I think in the end I would choose IMAX if I had to, again for the music to be as loud as possible.

I chose AMC over Regal because my dad made a comment a very very long time ago about how it’s not “real imax” and he never expanded upon it so to this day I have no idea what he meant. But the picture filled the entire screen so that was nice

52 minutes ago, Brando said:

I chose AMC over Regal because my dad made a comment a very very long time ago about how it’s not “real imax” and he never expanded upon it so to this day I have no idea what he meant. But the picture filled the entire screen so that was nice

Apparently some theaters have "fake" IMAX (I've also seen people refer to is as Lie-MAX) in which the screens are only a fraction of the size of real IMAX screens, among other differences (no aspect ratio changes, etc.). It doesn't depend on the theater chain though, but rather specific locations. So an AMC theater in one location might be real IMAX, while another one might be fake IMAX, etc.

I've never been to an IMAX (or Lie-MAX) theater though so I have no further knowledge than that. :lol:

EDIT:

Q&A: How Do I Know If My IMAX Theatre Is Real 70mm IMAX Or lieMAX (Digital IMAX)? (slashfilm.com)

Here's the face in the tree.  It even has a slight exhaling sound as the lips move.  I was just astounded how well it showed in IMAX.

Spoiler

treeface.gif

I brought the shadows level up a bit here.

83175030_ScreenShot2022-08-15at8_11_43PM.png

33 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Apparently some theaters have "fake" IMAX (I've also seen people refer to is as Lie-MAX) in which the screens are only a fraction of the size of real IMAX screens, among other differences (no aspect ratio changes, etc.). It doesn't depend on the theater chain though, but rather specific locations. So an AMC theater in one location might be real IMAX, while another one might be fake IMAX, etc.

I've never been to an IMAX (or Lie-MAX) theater though so I have no further knowledge than that. :lol:

EDIT:

Q&A: How Do I Know If My IMAX Theatre Is Real 70mm IMAX Or lieMAX (Digital IMAX)? (slashfilm.com)

Lie-Max😂😂😂

26 minutes ago, Andy said:

Here's the face in the tree.  It even has a slight exhaling sound as the lips move.  I was just astounded how well it showed in IMAX.

Hide contents

treeface.gif

I brought the shadows level up a bit here.

83175030_ScreenShot2022-08-15at8_11_43PM.png

It looks so good!!

@Manakin Skywalker thank you for the link regarding IMAX.  I had no idea there were differences or fake IMAX. This article explains a little about Cinemark’s proprietary XD format, which they show in their IMAX theaters, and compares it to true IMAX. 

Bottom line, they sound pretty comparable, and easily both superior to the standard theater presentation.  

6 hours ago, rough cut said:

This tree thing seems very arbitrary and it seems to me that if it looks like a face in the tree, it was unintentional.

You think the face just happened to be there and they left it in?

6 hours ago, rough cut said:

This tree thing seems very arbitrary and it seems to me that if it looks like a face in the tree, it was unintentional.

It’s not arbitrary. 
It’s arbor-trary. 

No, it is quite deliberate.  It’s a blink and you miss it detail of whimsy. The mouth is articulated and opens with a defined upper lip.  It has breathing sound design.   It’s obviously not a big deal because so many of us never noticed it in 40 years, so in that regard it’s arbitrary. But I can picture Spielberg setting up the shot with the puppeteer like a little boy. 

2 hours ago, Andy said:

No I sorta remember that too.  In fact here’s a picture of me from 2014 filled with wonder while seeing a tree-face. 
F11561DD-CCCF-40A1-9F5B-671F60F318DD.jpeg

You wore the wrong shirt!:lol:

The ET ride... I loved that thing as a kid. I live a few hours away from Universal Studios Hollywood, so I went to that version before it was torn down (like a year after they updated it for the first Anniversary re-release of the film with the CGI effects!). It was replaced by The Mummy (which is still there... for now). However, in 2019 I went to Orlando for the first time and finally went on it again after so many years. It was EXACTLY as I remembered it in Hollywood. That smell of the forest. Botanicus! His music, haha! The ET theme ala kazoo in the ride! LOL. (I actually hoped it would have been a bonus track on the recent re-release, but oh well hahaha) The garbling of ET's words as he says your name when you get off the ride.

Not to sound dark, but I bet as soon as Spielberg "goes", so does the ride. I have been told he is the only real reason the ride is still there in Orlando. :(

1 hour ago, scallenger said:

The ET ride... I loved that thing as a kid. I live a few hours away from Universal Studios Hollywood, so I went to that version before it was torn down (like a year after they updated it for the first Anniversary re-release of the film with the CGI effects!). It was replaced by The Mummy (which is still there... for now). However, in 2019 I went to Orlando for the first time and finally went on it again after so many years. It was EXACTLY as I remembered it in Hollywood. That smell of the forest. Botanicus! His music, haha! The ET theme ala kazoo in the ride! LOL. (I actually hoped it would have been a bonus track on the recent re-release, but oh well hahaha) The garbling of ET's words as he says your name when you get off the ride.

Not to sound dark, but I bet as soon as Spielberg "goes", so does the ride. I have been told he is the only real reason the ride is still there in Orlando. :(

So maybe you can answer: the ride music is definitely different. Did they end up using different music or did they ever use the original music at one point? I've only been on the ride a handful of times and the last time I was there was a few years ago, but it did not sound like the track The E.T. Adventure

Honestly, my memory isn't accurate enough to answer that definitively. However, I do recall hearing the "ride music" in the queue at Hollywood when Botanicus appears, and MAYBE pieces of it in the ride itself. I could be wrong about it being in Florida's now, since I only went on it once while I was there and was too caught up in my nostalgia to remember. I just know for sure about the Botanicus appearance in the queue being when I had heard it in Hollywood. I think someone else on this forum is pretty knowledgeable about the ride (forget who). They had said that other music that played in the queue/ride came from alternates that were finally released in LLL's set.

But yes, at least one piece from the ride that remains unreleased is that wild music that plays when you see all the ETs haha. But if I recall, it wasn't made by Williams himself? So that may be why.

YES!  And Jaws for 4th of July. 

Here in NY, we’re preparing for fall, which is not the time for Jaws. 

E.T. takes place from like October 29- November 2. 

I tend to watch old favorites very seasonally, either when they were originally released or when they take place. 

58 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I wish they’d show previews for movies that came out in late 1982.

They did...in the Fall of 1982 :lol:

Seriously though, I remember seeing the trailer for E.T. in September, 1982, when BLADE RUNNER had just opened.

41 minutes ago, Andy said:

Here in NY, we’re preparing for fall, which is not the time for Jaws. 

Oh I'm still sweating bullets down here in Florida:lol: