Gramophone July 2022 - John Williams' Concertos feature article

lairdo

Man, I wish I was able to purchase a copy of this issue of Gramophone Magazine, like I was able to purchase the Christmas issue of BBC Music featuring the Maestro, without having to pay for a subscription.

2 hours ago, JohnTheBaptist said:

See if your library has it. I use Libby to read the electronic copy.

Unfortunately not. I’d rather own a physical or electronic copy without having to pay for a subscription; I just want this one issue.

That would be an interesting thing to read actually. And a very different type lf content to what we get usually. I would interested to read more about his concert work. Really enjoyed reading Williams' own note on the latest Mutter album.

Coincidentally, I am actually now listening to the Violin Concerto No. 2 for the very first time right now.

Karol

10 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

Unfortunately not. I’d rather own a physical or electronic copy without having to pay for a subscription; I just want this one issue.

I think after the next issue (e.g. August 2022), you can email to order a back issue.

https://www.magsubscriptions.com/back-issues

Shipping to the US from the UK might be as much as the cost of the issue.

I am not sure, but I think Barnes & Noble (if you have one nearby) carries Gramophone in single issues. I just don't know the lag between the UK publication date and the arrival on US shelves.

Update: Just found Newsstand.co.uk will take orders for the JW July issue which they show as arriving on June 15 to their shop. Look at this page (which is for the June issue). There is a small line where one can add the July issue to the shopping cart. The company ships worldwide. About US$15 for an issue including 1st class postage.

https://www.newsstand.co.uk/187-classical-music-magazines/1040-subscribe-to-gramophone-monthly-magazine-subscription.aspx

For a single digital copy, check out:

https://pocketmags.com/us/gramophone-magazine

$6.99 per issue.

On 11/06/2022 at 9:46 AM, lairdo said:

m not sure, but I think Barnes & Noble (if you have one nearby) carries Gramophone in single issues. I just don't know the lag between the UK publication date and the arrival on US shelves.

B&N does usually have it, and it's usually current, or within a few days.

Yikes, it’s already out of stock at Newsstand.co.uk. I should have bought it while I had the chance. I just hope it shows up at the El Cerrito B&N, which right now is only displaying the May issue.

• 1 month later...

I tweeted DG to consider re-releasing it. Considering they featured it in the article I would hope they’d consider printing more money for themselves.