Christophe Beck: Shazam! Fury Of The Gods

DangerMotif

Beck is a good composer and obviously has experience in the genre, so this probably is a good thing.  I enjoyed the first film, but can't say any of the music ever really stood out bar the Bing Crosby song at the beginning, so hopefully Beck delivers a memorable score on par with his Ant-Man work.

I quite liked the main theme from the first film, and I was hoping Wallfisch would return to this, but I also really Beck's work on the genre.

And in many MCU scores he has shown his ability to incorporate previously established themes by other composers into his work, so maybe we will get to hear his take on Wallfisch's theme.

• 8 months later...

It's a good theme, but I'm disappointed in Beck. He's been so consistend with using themes by other composers but he doesn't use Wallfisch's theme (which was fantastic). Or maybe he was told to not use it. Still it's a shame

Much like Wallfisch, I can see that the director instructed Beck to come up with a John Williams Superman kind of theme. Unfortunately, on the first Shazam, that influence was only on the main theme, the rest of the score was much more subdued. I hope the same doesn't happen with the second one.

Wow, that's disappointing.  This theme is fine, but Wallfisch's was absolutely bangarang.  His own score didn't come near the heights of that theme.  I remember hearing the argument that Wallfisch was in origin-story mode, ramping up to the full theme at the end, but now we'll never know.

Also, weird that there are two big superhero sequels coming out in such rapid succession and they're both scored by Beck.  I'm not complaining, but that's unexpected.  Beck has flown under the radar as a superhero composer in my book, but I guess winter 2023 is his debutante ball.

11 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Much like Wallfisch, I can see that the director instructed Beck to come up with a John Williams Superman kind of theme. Unfortunately, on the first Shazam, that influence was only on the main theme, the rest of the score was much more subdued. I hope the same doesn't happen with the second one.

Yeah, hopefully.

24 minutes ago, igger6 said:

Also, weird that there are two big superhero sequels coming out in such rapid succession and they're both scored by Beck.  I'm not complaining, but that's unexpected.  Beck has flown under the radar as a superhero composer in my book, but I guess winter 2023 is his debutante ball.

Well his big Hollywood break was on Buffy the Vampire Slayer in the 90s, and she’s pretty much a superhero.

Did you miss his two previous Ant-Man scores somehow? They’re FANTASTIC, probably the most consistently strong scores of ANY MCU film. Plus, he did incredible work on WandaVision and this absolute banger:

Yavar

Oh, no, I saw all that (minus Buffy) and totally agree.  But still, maybe unjustly, he's not in the first tier of names I think of when I imagine who Hollywood looks to for superhero movies.  If that's changing, great!