Nathan Johnson: Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery

DangerMotif

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The 61 minute OST album arrives Friday, November 25th

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/glass-onion-a-knives-out-mystery-original-motion/1653106251

1600x1600bb.webp

Spoiler

1. Theme from Glass Onion (1:53)
2. The Puzzle Box (2:12)
3. Andi’s Theme (2:00)
4. An Anonymous Invitation (1:48)
5. Ground Rules (0:37)
6. Ms. Birdie Jay (1:47)
7. The Infraction Point (1:12)
8. Dinner Is Served (1:30)
9. This Is Not a Game (1:53)
10. The Scene of the Crime (2:16)
11. Trapped (2:52)
12. Lights Out! (2:02)
13. Time to Finish This (2:05)
14. Blanc’s Plan (2:57)
15. Snoop (1:44)
16. Motive & Opportunity (1:13)
17. Something’s Off (1:18)
18. Perjury (3:51)
19. Ransacking (3:26)
20. A.B. (2:54)
21. The Center of the Onion (4:11)
22. Peeled Back (2:31)
23. You’ve Got Nothing (3:53)
24. Glass Onion String Quartet in Bb Minor (2:15)
25. Burnt (1:51)
26. Disruption (1:43)
27. Theme from Glass Onion – Revisited (2:00)

• 1 month later...

Just watched the film last night and gave the FYC a first pass this afternoon.

• I enjoy this, but motifs / distinct musical ideas haven't come into focus for me yet.
  • The really outstanding part (mentioned above) is that slightly slinky melodic phrase, the flatted fifth? or something. Luxuriously orchestrated.
  • I haven't yet clearly heard a strongly fugal passage (despite the all the in-universe hullabaloo about it), but there's some lovely instrument-to-instrument interplay that keeps the texture fresh.
  • Harpsichord. Wow. Harpsichord.

Also, Netflix's FYC site is a bit of a mess. Their metadata typist appears to have lost usage of their single-quote key after "I Didn't Invite You."

Oops.  I just checked the end credits on netflix, and the Batman theme is not listed.  So yea, someone joking around on imdb.  D'oh!

Has anybody here made a combined edit that has all the unique OST and FYC music combined together into chronological order?

On 3/1/2023 at 10:42 AM, Gibster said:

There’s no music when he says that

It’s not when he says it, but shortly after - when his brain sparks the idea to go on the trip and take her with him.  The start of a new cue, I believe.  I caught it without having seen this conversation.  It rang as the Batman theme-ish to me when it happened, but I’m unfamiliar with Johnson’s scores to these so it may well also have just been a similar sounding motive from the movie itself.

This score didn’t make an impression on me otherwise while I watched, but an album listen may be interesting.

28 minutes ago, mstrox said:

It’s not when he says it, but shortly after - when his brain sparks the idea to go on the trip and take her with him.  The start of a new cue, I believe.  I caught it without having seen this conversation.  It rang as the Batman theme-ish to me when it happened, but I’m unfamiliar with Johnson’s scores to these so it may well also have just been a similar sounding motive from the movie itself.

This score didn’t make an impression on me otherwise while I watched, but an album listen may be interesting.

It’s in the opening of the track “Blancs Plan” it’s a previous theme from the first film but very similar. It’s the batman theme but it goes back to the first note right before the last 2 notes

A93179BD-B482-4522-B285-2068D7761A68.jpeg

On 08/01/2023 at 7:51 PM, Jay said:

Has anybody here made a combined edit that has all the unique OST and FYC music combined together into chronological order?

Do you mean something like this?
onion_prev.png

On 16/01/2023 at 4:16 PM, Jay said:

I meant an actual listenable audio edit, not a informational list (which is awesome, too!)

I see. Would love to assemble something like this, but since cues on the OST fade into each other, I can't see how to separate them properly.