THE BOYS

Quintus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Just finished first season of "The Boys" from Amazon. Great show. I am not sure if season 2 will be able to keep up with it.

It's a little bit like True Blood with superheroes.

I liked the second season just as much as the first!

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Watched the first episode of The Boys season 3 on the plane ride out. Holy shit, that was absolutely bonkers, they managed to up the violence, nudity, gore, and sex from the previous seasons in the first 10 minutes alone 

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

Watched the first episode of The Boys season 3 on the plane ride out. Holy shit, that was absolutely bonkers, they managed to up the violence, nudity, gore, and sex from the previous seasons in the first 10 minutes alone 

Best poorly-timed sneeze in TV history. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Boys 3x01 Payback

Oh man, the first 10 minutes of this episode were hilarious, and I loved how it kicked the gore, nudity, and sex up a notch from the high highs the show had already set in the past seasons.  Brilliant way to start things off, especially when you include an unexpected Charlize Theron cameo to boot!

I liked the new setup that The Boys are kind of separated but partially working "on the level" getting Supes in line (without killing them) for Neuman, which of course has the fun twist that we know she's working for Edgar (I wonder how different things would have been if that was revealed late last season and we just learned now when Hughie did?)

The idea of V24 is interesting, if a bit silly - but easy enough to just roll with.  I was kind of surprised that Butcher got hold of some right away, AND was tempted almost right away to use it!  I thought that'd be saved until later in the season, though since its in the trailer I guess it will be happening sooner rather than later.

So glad The Boys is back!

The Boys 3x02 The Only Man In The Sky

Red River - pretty cool reveal that Edgar basically raised Neuman/Nadia like his own daughter after finding her there.  Hughie's barely passable attempts to get in was funny :)

Voughtland amusement park - I loled at the whole thing, and that Crimson Countess's powers are yet another way to turn someone into human salsa like half of everything else on the show.

Mother's Milk - I liked the honest conversation he has with his ex-wife where they both realize he cannot be a good dad or really return to any kind of normal life until he finishes his work with Butcher, wherever that will even ultimately lead.

Butcher - holy shit, i didn't think he'd take V24 this early, or that it would be so instantly effective.  Did he basically just get Homelander's exact powers? Is he on the same power level as him?  Of course he's instantly corrupted and klils Gunpowder... he's become what they say they are trying to stop!

Homelander - holy shit again! Watching him get undermined throughout this episode and last by Edgar, who makes Annie the co-captain and seems to really be almost purposely antagonizing Homelander for some reason.... and his hilarious interactions with Stormfront, and then her suicide hitting the news as he's supposed to help another suicide attempt, all leading into his big rant was awesome.  After 2 seasons of all his worst qualities being completely hidden from the public and only slowly realized by some of the main characters was nice to see finally get revealed to everyone, and by himself directly!

Can't wait to see what happens next!

I'm at the movie theater about to see Jurassic World and the little video about turnoff your phone, no talking, etc is edited from The Boys footage, it was pretty good

The Boys 3x03 Barbary Coast

Wow, I really didn't see the show going this way: that Homelander's rant/breakdown on TV would actually lead to an increase in approval, by a certain demographic :lol: - in hindsight, it's absolutely perfect commentary!

The long Nicaragua flashback story that Mallory told was pretty nifty, I loved seeing the complete ineptitude of those particular Supes and Mallory inability to fix the situation.  I guess this explains more why she's been willing to help the boys!  Of course the fact that we didn't see Soldier Boy die, or get any insight into what the "weapon" is, I'm sure there's way more to be revealed about this.

Interesting too that Black Noir was there and initially wanted to go mask-free and be a black superhero role model but young Stan Edgar talked him out of it, then the injuries he got scarred his face causing him to want to hide it anyway.  Everything goes Stan's way!

Speaking of Stan, it's clear now what he whole goal is... it's all about money and power, and initially he tried creating Supes and trying to get the miltary to buy into them, but their lack of training and massive egos led to disaster.  So now he's spent decades making V24, that can be given to soldiers who are already trained and vetted, and the powers will only be temporary.... brilliant!

Speaking of V24, it was interesting to see the side effects / withdrawl that Butcher went through.  Does this happen to everyone?

Back to Homelander, I loved how he shedded everything that was holding him back throughout the episode, eventually revealing he doesn't care anymore if the plane video leaks out, and that while he'd prefer to  be loved, he'll take being feared if he has to.  Everything everyone has over him is fading, which perfectly ups the stakes for The Boys finding a way to take him down as they take off for Russia.

These first 3 episodes have been brilliant!  I was a bit let down by season 2, but this season is already much better.  It took 3 episodes to set everything up, really, but finally taking Homelander to the place he's in is a brilliant move and came at the right time.

The interesting part is, we're on the third season of a show already renewed for season 4 and could probably go to 7 or so, and there's no way they are offing Homelander until the final episodes of the final season, so we know none of the things The Boys are trying here are going to work.... and that just makes it even more exciting to see what happens!

The Boys 3x04 Glorious Five Year Plan

ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO

That was one of the funniest episodes they've ever done!  The dildo reveal was already hilarious, then it turns into a full dildo fight / slaughter, and then the dildos come back again with Ashley.  Hilarious!  And if that wasn't enough, we get the hilarious scene with the V'd up hamster :lol: ROTFLMAO

On top of all the great comedy and good action scenes, the plots and character arcs all progressed in terrific ways too this week!

Butcher is seemingly already addicted to V24, which is really no surprised, and I love that Hughie took some too and ended up with different powers, which answers that earlier question.  I wasn't surprised in the slightest that Soldier Boy was still alive, but didn't see it coming that he'd immediately let out some blast that almost killed Kimiko - that was a nice surprise that was perfectly timed since we saw her take a bullet to the forehead earlier in the episode and be barely effected by it.

It was awesome to see Queen Maeve again, I feel like she has been sidelined a lot of the series and definitely had been so far this season.  It was nice throughout the episode to see Annie getting Maeve, Supersonic, and maybe A-Train on their side against Homelander.... only for it all to come crashing down on her in the final scene.  This season slowly ratcheting up the stakes of them needing to kill Homelander so well this season!  On top of killing Supersonic, he finds out Neuman is the head exploder and she sidelines Edgar for him - he's seriously winning every contest these last 2 episodes after seemingly being on the out after the first 2 episodes.  So well done!

Oh, and Neuman injects her kid with regular old V?  I figured V24 was the new hotness now.  I have no idea where that storyline is gonna go...

The Boys 3x05 The Last Time to Look on This World of Lies

Hmmm, after a really good and funny run of 4 episodes, I suppose it was too much to expect that level of energy and comedy to continue throughout; This is very much a scene-setting episode, putting pieces in the place for the end of the season.  So while it wasn't as satisfying as what came before, a lot of important stuff happened

I enjoyed seeing Kimiko happy her powers were gone, but wasn't terribly amused by the long musical sequence that expressed it.  I wasn't surprised Little Nina showed up to expect Frenchie to do a job for her, and kind of don't get why Frenchie doesn't just take her out of the picture to get her off his back

Hughie, Hughie, Hughie.... this guy is so insecure, and so incapable of being a good and honest boyfriend, it's sad to watch!  He's such a bad liar, and even when he knows he should tell the truth, it's always too little too late and he just doesn't see it.  I'm also not surprised he's more addicted to V24 than Butcher is, so much so that he sides with Butcher over Annie at the end of the episode.  Oh, Hughie!

It was nice to see Queen Maeve again, since she's somewhat been on the sidelines for a while, but man that was some fucked up shit that she got off of Butcher basically saying she deserved to die that she wanted to bang him.  I wonder if there will be a good reason for Homelander only kidnapping her instead of killing her beyond she's a main character they don't want to off yet.  He has shown no problem killing anyone he wants to for a while now!

The funny in the episode came from Ashley being made CEO of Vought (lol!), and the pretty funny boardroom scene.  I loved that they all kissed Homelander's ass, and then the one normal business question that got asked he just had absolutely completely no idea what to do with since Edgar always covered that stuff.  So did he not recognize the "supervillain" that blew up in NYC to be Soldier Boy?

The other funny was the Blue Hawk stuff, which was pretty on the nose but funny enough to not matter.  That and Seth Rogen, who had already appeared on the show as himself in the past, so does this imply he's playing himself again and just using an online alias? LOL.  His scene with Crimson Countess was funny, but then it was pretty brutal that she got captured by Butcher who allowed Soldier Boy to kill her in exchange for his help (I guess?)  I can't believe how fractured The Boys is now after the first 3 episodes showing them all getting back together - they almost immediately fell apart!  Now it's really just Butcher and Hughie with Frenchie/Kimiko and MM sidelined, and Butcher doesn't seem to even really want Hughie.  They don't even have Starlight and Maeve any more either.  It's gonna be tough to get from where they are now to however the season is going to end, which to me appears to me attempting to use Soldier Boy to de-power Homelander.

The biggest strength of this season becomes clear, when you look in comparison at the Obi-Wan show.

In the Obi-Wan show the characters permanently pretend to be focussed and to follow clear goals. Obi-Wan says, this time it ends, I will not let him get away this time, but then he does. People get motivated and convinces particularly in ways that are at times incomprehensible.

But here, motivations are really made clear. People follow their comprehensible motivations consequently until they get a bloody nose. If they change their minds, they have good reasons. That really drives the story and the development f the characters forward. And the action is really brillant.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

The Boys 3x05 The Last Time to Look on This World of Lies

Hmmm, after a really good and funny run of 4 episodes, I suppose it was too much to expect that level of energy and comedy to continue throughout

Don't worry, 3x06 has more energy than almost any other episode they've ever done. It's season finale level good.

13 hours ago, A. A. Ron said:

Don't worry, 3x06 has more energy than almost any other episode they've ever done. It's season finale level good.

It was. Amazing!!

And I read some reviews that said that from episode 6, each episode is better than the one before. And that a lot is happening in the final 2 episodes

The Boys 3x06 Herogasm

Wow!  That was seriously shocking - no, not the orgy scenes, which was actually pretty tame and nowhere near the level of hype they tried to give it - but for the plot and character developments!

The parody of Gal Gadot's Imagine video was pretty funny, BUT I thought it was pretty lazy to do the exact same song instead of a different one.  Did the writers think we wouldn't get the joke otherwise?

I loved the scene of Black Noir finding out Soldier Boy was out to kill every member of Payback, so he cuts out his tracker and gives it to a random in the elevator, lol.  I hope he is up to something interesting next time we see him!

Kimiko having to rescue Frenchie without her powers was pretty great, and it was sad for her to realize she was always a monster even before her powers.  I was kind of annoyed Little Nina escaped again, because I kind of want her plot to be over with.  But maybe they'll surprise me with where it goes...

Neuman revealing to Annie that she is the head-popper and wanting to team up with her was interesting.  So Neuman thinks her head-pop power will work on Homelander I guess?  And she just doesn't want to do it until she can get something in exchange for doing so?  I thought it was interesting Annie said no because she wants to do it the right way; I think the show is trying to say something about how going high when your opponents go low doesn't actually work, or at the very least bring up the topic of whether or not ends justify the means.  Because we've got this scene, MM talking about wanting to kill Soldier Boy because his dad trying to get restitution for Soldier Boy killing his grandfather never worked, A-Train having the conversation with Ashley about how hypocritical he was for wanting an apology from Blue Hawk despite A-Train himself having murdered innocents, etc.

Most of the cast eventually all arriving at Herogasm for different reasons at different times was really well done.  The Deep fucking the octopus was really funny and I loved that Annie got a picture of it.  A-Train pulling Blue Hawk out and murdering him in the way he did was crazy, and I wonder if the heart attack (?) he was having at the end means he's actually going to die?  Hughie teleporting in naked was hilarious - he fit right in!  I loved the conversation he had with Annie, they continue to work on everything, and I loved that she had to explain (again?) that she doesn't need him to save her, that's his thing.  Come on Hughie, get it together!  Oh, and him getting what seemed to be an honest apology from A-Train for the death of Hughie's girlfriend was interesting, though of course hopped-up-on-V24 Hughie didn't consider that good enough anymore and still wants more revenge.

Soldier Boy seems to truly not have control of when his mega-bomb power goes of and he nukes every non-Supe nearby (although the TNT twins died this time).  I loved that Annie immediately realized she had to help the innocent wounded, and that MM was ready to try to fight Soldier Boy but abandons that to help her.

When Homelander finally shows up, it was an awesome moment! I loved the brief squaring off between Butcher and Homelander that seemed to show Butcher's powers weren't on his level, that led to Homelander and Soldier Boy fighting one on one for a while. I loved Soldier Boy calling Homelander a cheap knock-off and Homelander retorting that no, he's he upgrade!  And then as awesome as their fight was, Butcher shows up to join in too!  And they even had a Harry Potter-esque eye-beam-off! And then Hughie shows up to help to!

The most shocking part was near the end, the three of them actually got Homelander completely wrestled to the floor, and Soldier Boy was starting his de-powering beam.  I thought for a second we were going to actually see the de-powering of Homelander right here in episode 6, before he wiggled out and flew away.  Damn!  What a climax!

And then how about Annie at the end denouncing the Seven and Vought, and outing Homelander as a major bad guy!  Holy cow the next 2 episodes will be interesting!

The Boys 3x08 The Instant White-Hot Wild

Not as good as Herogasm or the rest of the season really, but still an okay finale. I read a few complaints on Reddit about the status quo feeling too similar to the end of Season 2, but I can't say I agree with that particular complaint.

A bunch of things I expected or even hoped would happen did -- Maeve losing her powers, Butcher and Homelander teaming up against Soldier Boy, Ryan accepting Homelander as his father, A-Train surviving (very curious what they're gonna do with him going forward) and Noir dying. I'm actually a little sad to see Noir go, but I feel like we got just the right amount of exposition on him before he went. It also seemed to me that the writers were pushing a little too hard to convince us that Frenchie and or Kimiko were going to die. I'm glad that was indeed just a red herring.

A couple other things still took me by surprise though. I knew they had to set Hughie for a big chance to "save" Starlight using the Temp V. I really like that he chose to dial up all the stage lighting and let Annie handle herself instead. It's just too bad her powers consistently seem to suck. I was also surprised that none of The Boys except Kimiko were given permanent Compound V. I always thought having the main characters become the very thing they were trying to wipe out was one of the best ideas in the comics.

Speaking of the comics, I've been expecting a President Homelander storyline since Season 1, especially with all the deliberate Trump parallels they've made in the show. I still think that's where we're headed, but for some reason, it didn't even occur to me that Neuman could be a more immediate antagonist in the White House. I like the actress, so I'm glad to see she'll continue to pose a threat to the Boys in the future. For now, that unsettling end scene where Homelander finally lasers someone for real in public and broad daylight was enough to tide me over and hopefully hint at things to come.

The Boys 3x07 Here Comes a Candle to Light You to Bed

A bit of a cool down episode after the insanity of last week, but sets up a fun finale!

Noir is one messed up, but interesting character!  It was pretty clever to show us the backstory of the abuse him and all of Payback took from Soldier Boy so they decided to sell him out via animated sequences where everyone was portrayed as various animated animal characters.  It sort of simultaneously let them mask the brutal violence, yet also make the violence more brutal because they could animate anything they wanted?  And had he pushed these memories down and needed this reminder to remember them?  And is he gonna join the fight now that he remember what an asshole Soldier Boy is?

I love that Ashley had them give A-Train Blue Hawk's heart :lol: Didn't see that coming.  I also didn't see it coming that V24 would have major side effects, mainly being death after 3-5 doses - holy shit! I think this episode is Butcher's 4th or 5th dose? And Hughie's 3rd?  Oh boy...  I loved that after Annie found this out she got confronted by Homelander, and completely one-upped him by streaming their whole conversation!  The rollercoaster of ups and downs he's been going through this season is so great, I can't wait to see how it ends next week.  I also thought it was compelling to see Annie deliver the lethal information to Butcher, him promising her he'd tell Hughie, and then.... doesn't.  He's really just as much of an asshole as Homelander, just in a completely different way.  Damn.

I do think they are muddling the waters with how V works though.  In season 1 it seemed like if you injected really young children with it they might eventually develop powers as an adult.  Now a few episodes ago we had Neuman injecting her daugther and seemingly getting powers right away, and then Kimiko injected herself after Soldier Boy's power took away her powers, and just getting them right back instantly.  Doesn't this completely make their whole plan to depower Homelander pointless if he can just take V again and get them back?  Hmm.

The whole Mindstorm plot that runs through the episode was interesting too.  I liked that someone with that power ended up having severe mental issues himself, and the part with the nun and priest was pretty funny.  I liked that Hughie used some quick thinking to get Mindstorm to help without anyone else getting hurt, until Soldier Boy showed up and smashed his face in with a shield that somehow felt less over the top than when John Walker did the same thing on Disney+...

The flashbacks Mindstorm had Butcher relive were pretty interesting.  Him going over this part of his past really let you think he was going to do the right then when he gets that call from Annie but... nope.

The parental themes in this episode were interesting too.  Homelander telling Maeve he'll harvest her eggs and make babies from them.... only to find out at the end of the episode Soldier Boy is who fathered him.  I didn't find this reveal particularly surprising or illuminating, but I guess they had to end the episode someway (BTW, did anybody else notice that episodes 2-6 all ended with major Starlight scenes?)

Can't wait to watch the finale tonight!

The Boys 3x08 The Instant White-Hot Wild

Hmm, so this was a pretty good finale.  I wouldn't say it was bad, but I wouldn't say it was great either.  I would say that overall, the entire season was great, it just wasn't balanced well I suppose, so in the end most of the big excited moments happened in the first half, and then in episode 6 too, so there wasn't as much amazing stuff left for the end here.  But I guess on a future rewatch of the whole show, that won't matter, and the season will be looked on pretty fondly despite this particular episode not being super amazing.

I think the best character moment here in Hughie, who finally realizes that he shouldn't take V24 and save Starlight, but instead backs her up by cranking up all the lights near her.  That was a satisfying end to his arc this season, and I even like that they ended up together again, even though at various points in the season I thought he had gone too far and she should definitely leave his ass and move on.  I like the symbolism of Annie dumping her Starlight suit down the trash at the end, fully becoming a member of The Boys instead of The Seven, but I was definitely confused why they were still operating out of that building, since Homelander knows about it!  It would have been an easy fix if they just had that Homelander/Butcher scene in episode 1 take place somewhere else!  Bah.

Frenchie and Kimiko's arcs I'm a little more wobbly on.  Well, Kimiko's was pretty good - I liked her starting with thinking she was a monster because of her powers, losing them and briefly being happy, then realizing she prefers them, getting them back, and being happy.  It was cool to show this off with her gleefully listening to Maniac while slicing and dicing a roomful of baddies. But Frenchie, I dunno, his arc was wrapped up so quickly in this episode, it seemed he only started doing too many drugs last episode and now he's just fine?

Mother's Milk had a good arc this season too, since it all dealt with parenthood and the right way to do it, which is a topic that runs through many storylines.  His daugther's step-dad is a deluded douche who is putting bad ideas in her head, but but he's there for her every day, while Mother's Milk knows what's best for her, but can never be there for her when she needs him to be.  The end of the arc was interesting, when he sits his daughter down and tells her about Soldier Boy killing his grandfather, and that not all superheroes are good... but is she too young to be hearing this?  I dunno.

Maeve was pretty damn awesome this episode!  After being sidelined for much of the season, I loved that she was able to spring herself out of captivity, and really take charge when she showed up at the Boys HQ.  I definitely wasn't expecting her to throw the nerve gas Frenchie had sourced out the window, but I guess she felt if it was used on Soldier Boy then Homelander couldn't be de-powered, and she wanted to do everything in her power to de-power then kill him?  Her fight with Homelander was pretty great - the whole show Homelander has always felt he confidently had more power than any other Supe, and we had no reason not to believe him until the team-up of Soldier Boy, V24 Butcher, and V24 Hughie almost took him down a couple episodes ago.  I had no idea Maeve was so powerful she could hold his own against him pretty well, so that was cool.  And I liked that she realized Soldier Boy's uncontrollable blast would harm innocents, so abandoned the fight to fly out he window with Soldier Boy, getting a heroic sacrifice moment.  I'm a bit confused how she survived, since when Kimiko got hit with her blast she sustained real injuries, but whatever.  I like that the door is open for her to truly never be on the show again, finally happy with her girlfriend and away from the limelight all the shit going on, but they could always bring her back, and power her back up again, since Kimiko lost her powers in the same way and got them back.

The Deep and A-Train definitely didn't have much to do this season, especially late in it, but still had some interesting things happen.  The Deep seems like he feels trapped and has no choice but to do whatever Homelander says, which I suppose is true. But how does he really feel about it?  His arc ends with him eating junk food, watching his wife slam him on TV, but what is he thinking?  Or is he basically just comic relief now?  A-Train's scene with his brother was pretty good, and I'm not surprised the brother rejected him.  But where does he go from here?  It seems like the writers intentionally side-lined him this season for the most part, maybe he'll get more to do next year.

Black Noir, wow.  I really liked the exposition and character growth we got from him last episode, and it was so neat to see him marching into Vought headquarters to join the fight against Soldier Boy, animated friends at his side.  But then, man, did I not see it coming that Homelander would just murder him before he got to do anything, since he knew Soldier Boy was his dad and didn't tell him.  Damn.  Here's the thing though.... is he REALLY dead?  He survived Soldier Boy beating him in the head so hard his brains spilled out, so is some intestines being removed really the end of him? I'll be curious to see next year....

Victoria Neuman really seemed to somewhat disappear this season after being a major part of the early episodes.  It really seemed like the Boys forgot about her too until she becomes the vice presidential nod at the end here.  I'm still really confused about her ultimate motivations, whether or not her power would work on Homelander, why she gave Homelander Ryan's address, how she got that address, what her status with Stan Edgar is, etc.  Speaking of him - he completely disappeared the second half of this season too - is it just because Esposito is so busy?  I hope he gets to do more next year.

And that leaves the biggest part of the episode - the new dynamics that develop between Butcher, Homelander, Soldier Boy, and Ryan  - the Mother's Milk stuff is just a minor intro to all the parental, and specifically father/son dynamics examined here!.  I liked that Butcher came to his senses and punched Hughie from taking any more potentially fatal V24, and even mentions his brother Lenny to drive the parallel home.  Then he ignores a call from Mallory - does this mean he's given up on Ryan, still blaming her for Becca's death?  Soldier Boy suddenly revealing a backstory here that he wasn't really a working class guy; his father was rich and always unimpressed with him, so he signed up for the V experiments only to find his father considered it "cheating" and was thene even less impressed with him... this all makes sense but seems like it could have been delivered sooner and with more depth.  He says he always wanted a son to be a better father than his was to him, a common thought, and I like that Butcher accurately points out that he's only Homelander's son biologically; He knows there is no way Homelander and Soldier Boy would ever have the relationship Soldier Boy thinks he wants.  And sure enough, once Butcher and Soldier Boy arrive at Vought Tower and Homelander brings out Ryan, Soldier Boy already says he's disappointed - when did he come to this decision?  Likewise, once the 4 of them start fighting and Ryan accidentally gets hurt, it was pretty damn quick for Butcher to turn and join with Homelander in attacking Soldier Boy.  So many things happen so fast in this episode!  After Mother's Milk is able to get the gasmask on Soldier Boy's face and Maeve has to take him out the window, it was interesting to see Ryan have to choose between going with Homelander or going with Butcher.... and he chooses Homelander!  Ohhhh boy.  This is exactly what Mother's Milk fears will happen with his daughter...

So Butcher is told he has 12-18 months to live, which is I guess an OK-ish cliffhanger for him for the early part of next season.  I guess the show will either end within that window, or some kind of cure / extension will be found.  Alternatively, it really seems like he could just be given regular V and be fine, since that fixed up Kimiko no problems.  I dunno.

The very final scene is chilling, with Homelander finally, after 3 seasons, murdering someone in cold blood in front of the public..... and now his supporters are INTO it.  In fact, it seems like Stormfront's supporters and him have merged together, and I liked that Mother's Milk's daugther's step-dad is the one who leads the cheer in support of Homelander.  S once again Homelander is the big bad for the next season, and one again the Boys have to find a new way to take him down... though I guess they'll focus on Neuman first?  Meanwhile, Ryan seems INTO Homelander's evil side.... can he be saved, or will the Boys have to kill him too?

What was not clear to me this season was, that in season 1 everyone including the supes thought, that they were born with their powers. But Soldier Boy and his team were even one generation earlier and there everyone seemed to be aware that their powers are based on compound V. Or did I misunderstand that?

No, you didn't misunderstand anything.  I think we're supposed to believe that all the guys from before the child-injecting stuff began (TNT Twins, Gunpowder, Crimson Countess, Mindstorm, and of course Grace Mallory and Stan Edgar) - just kept it a secret from the public.

This reminds me, I'm disappointed the early season setup of Edgar trying to sell V24 to the military didn't go anywhere by the end of the season

An ok season, but I'm starting to feel that the appeal of this show is really waning and the shock factor is really starting to get old for me. Perfectly exemplified in an early scene with the supe who shrunk down and entered his lover's urethra and then accidentally eviscerated him after sneezing from the cocaine. The show doesn't know what it wants: is this supposed to be funny or upsetting? The guy just accidentally killed his boyfriend in the most harrowing way possible and was utterly distraught about it, but that was immediately undercut with the subsequent fight scene and him getting trapped in the bag of cocaine by Butcher for a laugh. Something about the whole sequence was just so odious to me, and represents a larger tonal problem I think this show has. I understand they're highlighting the collateral damage and carelessness of the supes in the show, but this one was a step too far for me personally. I also didn't really appreciate the way they glossed over the fact that the prostitutes at Herogasm were normal people who were being visibly hurt and physically damaged by the supes they were having sex with. The level of sexual violence in this show is disturbing, and not really well handled for what it's trying to say. It just feels like a bunch of teenage boys coming up with shocking and outrageous ideas but completely lacking the maturity to give the jokes proper context.

Soldier Boy was a bit of a letdown as a villain, especially after Stormfront who was - while truly vile - a compelling character. His inner conflict never really felt authentic to me, and nor was I convinced at any point that he was any worse than the monstrous Homelander despite the show trying to convince us otherwise.

Also agree that Starlight's big moment in the finale was just a big wet fart. I get they're trying to build her power over the course of the series, but she's gotta start flying and blowing shit up ASAP if we expect her to be an actual player in this game. At least Maeve was shown to have some real strength, going up against Homelander by herself - although I did get the impression he was holding back while she was giving it her all. Thank god she got a somewhat happy ending with her girlfriend.

On 13/07/2022 at 3:51 AM, Jay said:

The end of the arc was interesting, when he sits his daughter down and tells her about Soldier Boy killing his grandfather, and that not all superheroes are good... but is she too young to be hearing this?  I dunno.

She is a bit young, but seeing as her stepdad has gone down the rabbit hole and is a full-on Homelander supporter it's probably for the best that he gets in early and exposes her to the real truth behind supes. Man, that final scene was really chilling. 

On 13/07/2022 at 3:51 AM, Jay said:

Then he ignores a call from Mallory - does this mean he's given up on Ryan, still blaming her for Becca's death? 

I got the impression that he never actually blamed Ryan for Becca's death. When he yells at him he was really trying to distance himself from Ryan so he wouldn't get caught up in the collateral damage of Butcher's plan to use the V (which of course he did anyway). I assumed that he was avoiding Mallory's call because he didn't want to face up to her about what he did to Ryan, or maybe assumed she found out about him using the V and didn't want to talk about it.

I hope the next season picks things up again, the show really felt like it was spinning its wheels this season.

13 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

an early scene with the supe who shrunk down and entered his lover's urethra and then accidentally eviscerated him after sneezing from the cocaine. The show doesn't know what it wants: is this supposed to be funny or upsetting?

Funny.

Both. Yes, comedy (quite shlocky, if you ask me). There's a degree of drama too. And satirical, political commentary with obvious references to ... well, you know, ... It's a show that reflects the times we're living in.

To be clear, I was referring to the one specific scene mentioned when I said it was supposed to be funny, not commenting on the series as a whole

I think that's my problem with it though - if the focus on that scene is comic then to me it's pretty jarring having Termite react so utterly distraught to the situation, and then undercutting it immediately with more comedy. It's hard to get a sense of what we're meant to be feeling towards his character, so it just ends up feeling unfocused and indifferent. Maybe I was just in a sensitive mood when I watched that ep, but it rubbed me the wrong way.

It might've been more effective if it was more like a "oh no, not again" reaction, which would be more in line with the show's thesis about the Supes not giving a shit about their collateral damage. It seems contradictory as is.