THE BOYS

Quintus

14 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

I think that's my problem with it though - if the focus on that scene is comic then to me it's pretty jarring having Termite react so utterly distraught to the situation, and then undercutting it immediately with more comedy. It's hard to get a sense of what we're meant to be feeling towards his character, so it just ends up feeling unfocused and indifferent. Maybe I was just in a sensitive mood when I watched that ep, but it rubbed me the wrong way.

I think you are way overthinking a short scene mean to be funny and introduce us to a new season.  There wasn't any deeper meaning to it and these characters are all unimportant ones

9 hours ago, AC1 said:

Homelander is entertaining, but I noticed I don't really care for any of the characters, except for maybe Kimiko.

I'd like Hughie and Annie to get a happy ending

I started the series yesterday, Season 1, Episode 1.

Lucky I’m not a superhero, I’d be exactly trash and crazy like them!

I like!

Oh you've only seen the tip of the iceberg of all the deplorable things people with powers do in this show...

8 hours ago, Jay said:

I think you are way overthinking a short scene mean to be funny and introduce us to a new season.  There wasn't any deeper meaning to it and these characters are all unimportant ones

It's not overthinking when it's pointing out a systemic problem that the show has with its tone, message and gratuitous use of sexual violence. I used that scene as an example, but there's multiple others.

On 20/07/2022 at 5:09 PM, Jay said:

Oh you've only seen the tip of the iceberg of all the deplorable things people with powers do in this show...

Especially in this year's season! Bespin is gonna love it!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally ended The Boys season 3.

Still a little bit too trash for my tastes, entertaining, sure, but I must admit I only laughed at 1/2 of the jokes.

It remains very "basic".

Sex jokes, Gay jokes, shit jokes, heads exploding.... okay... what happens next?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The only tragedy (other than the prescience of the "pay more to get less and be grateful for it" pitch) is that we'll have to wait until at least the fall before we get season 4. :( 

Season 3 aired from June to July of 2022.  Why is it weird that Season 4 will air in the fall of 2023?  Seems standard to me.

55 minutes ago, Jay said:

Season 3 aired from June to July of 2022.  Why is it weird that Season 4 will air in the fall of 2023?  Seems standard to me.

It’s not weird, I just don’t want to have to wait. I’m impatient!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gen V - Episodes 1 - 3

I wasn't into this show when it was first announced. I just wanted a season 4 of The Boys! But after watching the first 3 episodes, which premiered today, I'm completely on board.

Everything that I loved about The Boys is here. The (social) commentary, humor, violence and f***ed up people who do f***ed up stuff, but there is still a very serious undertone, high stakes, big emotions and serious topics that get touched upon.

It's chaotic, it's bloody, it's nasty, it's gross but it all pays off in incredible ways. The powers of all the characters are really well realised and look fantastic.

All the actors do a great job (and there are some fun cameos in the first 3 episodes😉).

I'm very much looking forward to the rest of the series in the coming weeks. If it stays on this level of quality it could be as good as The Boys Season 4!

On 29/09/2023 at 11:59 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

I wasn't really show about this show when it was first announced. I just wanted a season 4 of The Boys! But after watching the first 3 episodes, which premiered today, I'm comoletely on board.

I often have to stop and re-read your sentences because you have so many errors in them, i can't tell what you mean until I re-parse it.  Nobody else who uses this site does this so frequently; Could you try slowing down a bit and reading what you've typed before hitting the submit button?

• 2 weeks later...

Gen V 1x01 God U.

Decent enough premiere; Definitely had some "pilot-itis" where they tried to cram in a lot of characters, a lot of "cool" moments, a lot of pop songs, and set up the main plot all at the same time.  It mostly worked.  Marie Moreau is a decent enough main character, sort of similar to a Starlight type in terms of being naive and wholesome but has powers wants to be in The Seven.  Her roommate was a more interesting character, shame that her giant penis scene wasn't half as funny as the giant penis scene from the Season 3 premiere of the parent show.  But the upperclassmen Marie hangs out with all seem like douchebags, which is maybe the point, at least for now.  I was genuinely shocked that Luke and Brink were not main characters after all, and am curious enough to see what "The Woods" is all about, so I guess the episode did its job!

Gen V 1x02 First Day

It's no surprise that Voughts wants to cover up Luke's suicide and that Ashley is involved (seeing her again was fun!), though I'm not sure why Marie ultimately chose to play along in the end instead of explaining that it was really Jordan that fought against Luke.  Is it because she thinks playing along will help her find her sister?  I liked learning more about Emma this week, she continues to be the most interesting character I think.  I was surprised by how quickly we are going into the The Woods plot, with Andre finding Luke's message in the statue, then the footage of Sam, then almost getting insight before being caught and saved by Cate.  This whole underground secret place reminds me a lot of the Red River plot from The Boys, hopefully it ends up going in a different direction

Gen V 1x03 #ThinkBrink

I liked that this episode included the parents of a lot of the main characters, it gave good insights into what makes a lot of them tick, and what they've had to deal with.  We've seen Andre's father already, but he's revealed to know a lot more about what's going on that we knew before this week; Emma's mom is a bit of a wanker, and Jordan's dad is an outright prick.  The brief fight Marie and Emma had let to a nice reconsiling in the bathroom when Emma holds her crazy dress so she can be; That was a cute scene.  Another nice scene was Cate revealing that her mind control powers began when she told her brother to leave and never come back - and he did... damn.  The ending with Emma sneaking into The Woods and finding Sam was good, their chemistry was great even though Sam seems like he's got some severe problems.  I wasn't sure at the end if she intended to kill that guard or not?  This show seems to have the same issue with shrinking that Ant-man does, which is that her weight shouldn't change, only her size; So when he's swatting at her like she's a bug on him, it wouldn't feel like a bug is on him, it'd feel like a tiny 150lb weight was on him.  Oh welll

Gen V 1x04 The Whole Truth

This episode was really fun; Tek Night showing up to investigate Luke's death throughout the episode led to many interesting and fun conversations and scenes.  The reveal near the end that he fucks any holes he can find was really funny and finally brought some of that Boys humor that I'd been missing to this point (a lot of attempts in early episodes like the giant penis didn't really do much for me).   I really like the chemistry between Emma and Sam, and it's such a bummer that he's so messed up - though seeing Jason Ritter with a puppet was pretty funny.  Marie getting taken advantage of by that psychic and then her blowing up his dick was crazy - can she control anybody's blood and not just her own?

The hooking up of Marie with Jordan was really strange and seemed to come out of nowhere.  Is she only attracted to their male form, or both?  Hmm.  Sam trying to kill the one doctor in his house and all the main characters showing up to stop him was pretty cool, especially getting to see Emma take on a giant form.  I kind of think that Marie's blood powers just aren't cool and look dumb on screen though.  Also, I think the guy playing Andre is a bad actor, I hate the way he reads all his lines.  The sudden black out and jump to the next day (?) at the end was weird.  Is that psychic guy exacting some kind of revenge?

Gen V 1x05 Welcome to the Monster Club

Wow!  I did not see the twist in this episode coming.  The fact that it was Cate mind-wiping people and not Rufus was a big surprise!  I am really curious to learn what her motivations are, and also lorn more about this supposed virus (?) that the The Woods doctor wants to make to be able to subdue Marie.  The embedded trackers was interesting too, does everybody have them or just the main characters?  The best part of the episode was definitely the extended puppet massacre Sam has, that was great and finally bringing more of that unique stuff that makes The Boys world special.  I hope there's more of that as we head in to the final 3 episodes!

So who else besides me and @JNHFan2000 is watching this show? 

@JNHFan2000 what are your thoughts now that 5/8ths of the season is out?

I am kinda bummed that after watching the first 5 episodes over a 5 day period, I now have to wait 3 weeks to see the rest.

Also I like the premise and the slowly unfolding mystery, and the humor is getting better.... but the cast isn't that great I don't think.  Nobody really has charisma like Homelander or A-Train, nobody is a great butt of jokes like The Deep, there isn't enough conflict about what the main characters want vs what people in suits want.  But really I think the kids playing Andre and Cate are kind of not good, Marie is OK, only Emma and Sam are what I would say good acting.  And none of the adult character outside of Clancy Brown have been good at all.  Oh well

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

So who else besides me and @JNHFan2000 is watching this show? 

@JNHFan2000 what are your thoughts now that 5/8ths of the season is out?

I am kinda bummed that after watching the first 5 episodes over a 5 day period, I now have to wait 3 weeks to see the rest.

Also I like the premise and the slowly unfolding mystery, and the humor is getting better.... but the cast isn't that great I don't think.  Nobody really has charisma like Homelander or A-Train, nobody is a great butt of jokes like The Deep, there isn't enough conflict about what the main characters want vs what people in suits want.  But really I think the kids playing Andre and Cate are kind of not good, Marie is OK, only Emma and Sam are what I would say good acting.  And none of the adult character outside of Clancy Brown have been good at all.  Oh well

I was waiting to post the rest of my thoughts when the series was finished.

I do agree with that something is missing. There is a certain spark that The Boys has that is not here yet. I feel it in some of the sequences like the final fight in episode 1, Emma crawling into that guy's brain and the puppet fight. But it's fleeting moments, not constant.

I am really curious to see what exactly is going on in The Woods. And I wished the villains in the form of the dean etc get more to do.

In The Boys the villains have as much screen time as the good guys which makes it, to me, very special.

So I am really enjoying it and am excited to see what happens and if it ties even more into the central storylines from The Boys other than a few cameos.

Hopefully the plot in the final 3 episodes of season 1 is better than the first 5 episodes... and hopefully some of the cast get acting lessons!

I really liked The Boys first two seasons. Season 3 Was ok, but I watched all three seasons twice, the second time with my wife in one go and found you really can get enough of that superhero gore stuff. But I am zero interested in Gen V. It is a little bit like with the new X-Men movies starting with first class,where I had the feeling, they don't really have something to tell. It is just more of the same, but not as good. At least that was the impression, that I got from the trailers. But for sure I will watch season 4 of The Boys.

Maybe one more thing, why I don't like watching Gen V. The Boys started as some kind of anti genre format, a little bit like Shrek was for fairytale movies. And also for Shrek I didn't like that there were sequels. Doing sequels was so 'genre'. It didn't match that anti-genre underdog concept. Same with Gen V. Now we have spin-offs. We have a universe. That is so genre and normal and against that anarchy vibe of the original.

Gen V 1x06 Jumanji

The was pretty good!  Sure, having a bunch of character's enter and experience another's memories as a way to reveal previously unknown information about the plot and characters has been done before, and better, in other shows, but it's still an effective storytelling technique and it worked pretty well here.  It was fun to see Soldier Boy again, and I feel like The Woods stuff is pretty much fully explained now and I look forward to seeing how they stop the virus over the last 2 episodes

Episode 7 - Sick

I'm happy we finally got Dean Shetty's motivation. And I'm glad that it's linked to such a big story point from The Boys.

Did I understand correctly that Shetty was married to Mallory's son, or did she just mention her grandkids to spite her. I can't remember exactly what happened.

Because of what happened with Shetty, she immediately became a more nuanced character much more interesting than just a villain. And I was actually sad when she died. Don't get me wrong, she's done horrible things, but from her standpoint I get it.

It's interesting how The Boys is all about "supes are bad and humans are good", but in this show it's sorta turned around. The thing the main antagonists are doing is actually something Buther would do. It really is a showcase of how the writers have a great grasp of being in that morally grey area. We can both root and be against the same people. Makes it very conflicting.

That virus is disgusting though. It's like a mix between the infected from The Last Of Us & The Maze Runner. I thought it was hard to look at.

I loved the ambulance scene, and because of what happened with Andre's father it was a nice way of getting Neuman in there and talking about some of the things that happened in The Boys. Finally makes it feel like one big story.

I'm glad someone finally found out about Neuman being a supe. Now make it public, I think it's time.

And interesting that Neuman and Marie have the same powers and sort of the same story (is Marie gonna start bopping heads as well!?). But I really don't trust Neuman, especially after that final scene. What is she planning?

Next week finale. What's gonna happen!?

Gen V 1x07 Sick

I think all the odd-numbered episodes this season are where the plot moves along, and the even-numbered ones are more about character building.  So much interesting stuff this week, especially Shetty's motivations being unveiled before she's killed in the same episode - but not before Neuman gets ahold of the virus she had hoped to use to destroy all Supes.  I loved that her backstory goes back to the Homelander/plane incident from season 1 of the parent show, and having Neuman and Mallory show up was great too, kind of even nicer than the Soldier Boy, A-Train, Deep, and Ashley cameos from earlier in the season.

So with Shetty and the doctor dead and Neuman with the only copy of the virus, what's left to happen next week?  And why did Neuman put herself at massive risk be revealing her powers to Marie?  I can't figure out how she thought that was a good idea.  I like the whole "Supes Lives Matter" moment the students started :lol: