So Disney has ordered a direct-to-Hulu Predator movie - PREY

Edmilson

20th Century Studios Taps Dan Trachtenberg to Helm Fifth Predator Movie

It’s been nearly five years since Dan Trachtenberg last stepped in the director’s chair for his feature debut, 10 Cloverfield Lane, and now it looks as though he’s found his next project in the form of a fifth Predator film at 20th Century Studios, according to Deadline.

Plot details are currently unknown on the film, but sources report that it will not pick up on the unresolved plot threads from the fourth installment in the sci-fi action franchise, 2018’s The Predator, co-written and directed by original film co-star Shane Black (The Nice Guys). That film ended with the military, led by Boyd Holbrook (The Fugitive), finding a special mech suit entitled the Predator Killer onboard the titular creature’s ship built to help humanity fight against the alien race.

The script for the forthcoming fifth title is set to be penned by Patrick Aison, who’s previously worked as a writer and producer on Fox’s Wayward Pines, Audience Network’s Kingdom, Amazon Prime Video’s Jack Ryan and USA Network’s Treadstone. John Davis, who has been attached as producer of the franchise since the 1987 original, is set to once again produce the film.

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1155717-20th-century-studios-taps-dan-trachtenberg-to-helm-fifth-predator-movie

A Bear McCreary score for Predator could be interesting!

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks! I liked those well enough; they created a cool video game background mood. I wish they were a bit more different from each other than they seem to be. I still don't get a sense of her range, or her ability to develop thematic material. But I'll remain cautiously optimistic for now.

Yavar

I liked it but again it feels like more of a background mood piece. I had the same reaction to the new Assassins Creed track. I liked getting a sense of her action music with "Piccadilly Circus" though -- thanks Jay! That has some drive to it so I look forward to hearing what she comes up with for this Predator prequel (which seems like a cool idea, certainly more interesting to me than any of the Predator films since the original).

Yavar

4 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Are you familiar with some of her existing work that you can point me towards?

Yavar

Her COD score are mostly pedestrian, nothing to discuss.

Her work for Anthem, on the other hand, is quite intriguing, although I do not always dig her ways of applying vocals. 

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

That Williams arrangement is kinda bad

Not necessarily. I think, it gives a good insight of her approach to creating music.

I guess, she is one of those many talented modern film or game composers who have this intuitive "duck" approach to music.

You know, because ducks can to everything: swim, walk, fly, but they are not good at any of it.

But it works well to a certain degree in that studio digital multitrack environment.

That results in a certain kind of music and sound. And this is it.

It is a quality of its own.

It's also a six year old video, who knows how her arranging chops have evolved since then

That's right. In the tracks you shared you can hear that she got better at it. Still that is a certain kind of approach to music, which is just not classical. Neither from a composition nor from a perrformance point of view. And I don't mean that in a negative way. 

It is simply something, that I personally rather like in Pop and Rock music and not necessarily like in film music. But that is just my taste and doesn't say naything about the quality of the music itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Amber Midthunder was awesome on Legion, and I liked Dan Trachtenberg's first movie (10 Cloverfield Lane)

• 2 weeks later...

It is so weird to imagine that during the same time, in which humans on earth evolved from cavemen to civilized society, such an advanced space travelling species like the predators didn't change one bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to this now. I don’t have a super deep love for the IP. But I appreciate the Silvestri scores. 

Not too far into it. The first track is a cool twist on the iconic Predator rhythmic device. They use a scratchy ragged-sounding stringed instrument  with some rattly percussion and atmospherics. It reminds me of Pemberton’s work on King Arthur: Legend of the Sword and bits of Brian Tyler’s Assins Creed: Black Flag. That’s probably a good summary of the vibe if that interests anyone at all.

EDIT: Finished. Its good. A very high 3 stars. I’m sure it’s works great in the film. Sadly there’s only the one instance of the OG predator theme in the first track. Wish it would have popped up for the climax at least. But the instrumentation of all the various exotic/ethnic instruments and percussion are pretty cool and never grating. A Pleasant “destiny”-type theme for the heroine pops up a handful of times enough that you recognize it throughout the score. Similar (again) to Pemberton’s King Arthur and also a bit of Zimmer’s King Arthur ( and maybe a hint of Jones Last of the Mohicans as well?) Pretty standard “yearning” chord progressions but handled beautifully. 

My comparisons to Assassins Creed were warranted as it turns out she’s done a TON of those games lol. Didn’t realize that.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. 

It did not use the most iconic line from the franchise, but I cheered at the second. Taabe gets the best line. 

This should have been in theaters. Longtime fans of the franchise need to see this. 

I just learned there is a Comanche dub. I need to watch it again. 

There's just one big plot hole in the beginning. One character seems to disappear. 

31 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

This should have been in theaters. Longtime fans of the franchise need to see this. 

Just watched it myself and it's definitely a very pretty film that would have looked great on the big screen, but while it was enjoyable overall compared to The Predator I can see why they went with the streaming route. And yeah longtime fans should probably check it out. Also liked the fact it's a stand alone film (although there was something during the end credits that might be a tease for a sequel).

41 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

I just learned there is a Comanche dub. I need to watch it again. 

This is the version I watched, if you can find a sub of just the dialogue I'd recommend it, on Disney plus it didn't have regular subtitles, just closed caption, so all the Comanche lines have English subs, but then it's got audio description for every noise, then when the trappers turn up they're all speaking French and so the subtitles are what they're saying in French, but you can get the jist of what they're talking about.

46 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

There's just one big plot hole in the beginning. One character seems to disappear. 

Which character was that?

And the score was, fine, worked well within the film but not something I'd listen to outside of it.

7 minutes ago, Positivatee said:

The companion who was in the tree when the lion attacked Naru. 

Spoiler

As the lion's face was covered in blood I assumed he was dead, he only seemed to be there to taught Naru and die, but yeah no one acknowledged it, which now I think about it happens with all the other characters that get killed except for Taabe.