John Williams conducts the New York Philharmonic, April 25, 2023

Ricard

First I went to New York to see the Maestro conduct his music with the Philadelphia Orchestra and Anne-Sophie Mutter at Carnegie Hall back in April 2022. Now, I am definitely going back to New York for this. I am getting tickets the moment they are available to order. Awesome! 

Exciting news! 

Based on glancing at the NY Phil's Archive, I believe the last public performance leading the Phil that JW did was in October 2011 with Gil Shaham on violin.

https://archives.nyphil.org/index.php/artifact/42df5a5e-bf49-4ad3-98ca-35eaee73dcf1-0.1/fullview#page/1/mode/2up

Of course, Williams recently conducted the NY Phil to create A Gathering of Friends but that was not a public event. He also contributed a video tribute for the online gala during COVID, but that was spoken not conducted.

Think Anne-Sophie Mutter will still be touring with him and they’ll play the violin concerto no. 2 in NY for the second time? 

1 hour ago, Toillion said:

Think Anne-Sophie Mutter will still be touring with him and they’ll play the violin concerto no. 2 in NY for the second time? 

Only if she stops baking cookies.

• 1 month later...

Tickets are on sale! The majority of the good tickets were gone before they went on sale to the public though. I was a little disappointed I couldn't get a little better seats but hopefully they are still great!

A pity, if not unexpected. I wouldn't be opposed to considering combining this with another visit to NYC (I want to go back there anyway), but it's way too far ahead to plan anything, and by the time I would feel comfortable committing to a trip, all tickets will be long sold out.

Got my ticket, I'm in row B on the end in the orchestra section.  It won't be the best seat in the house, but it's close and was "only" $175.

I've been to every concert he's held at David Geffen Hall, so couldn't miss this one!

1 hour ago, Joe Brausam said:

Got my ticket, I'm in row B on the end in the orchestra section.  It won't be the best seat in the house, but it's close and was "only" $175.

I've been to every concert he's held at David Geffen Hall, so couldn't miss this one!

Had that in my cart, but it vanished after I made an account. Grabbed the seat on the opposite corner - same angle, different side. See you there!

I was torn on where to buy seats. I needed four together so I went with First Tier Rear Side A-93,A-95,A-97,A-99.

1 hour ago, Joe Brausam said:

I was looking at the tickets while they were still on presale and they were all cheaper then! Prices went up when it opened to the public. Of course you have to pay in to become a member for presale.

I'm going to this!! Best seat I was able to get was on the very edge a few rows back from the stage -- hopefully I can still see OK despite the suboptimal angle.

3 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Do you still have to show a medical pass to go to see the NYP? I'd love to go.

On there site I saw this the other day.

We are finalizing our health and safety guidelines for the 2022–23 season. All ticketholders will receive advance notice of the protocols in place for their concerts.

So not really an answer because they are still figuring it out.

https://nyphil.org/concerts-tickets/health-and-safety

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know why the parterre and other sections behind the stage were never made available? Would there be a reason why they wouldn't want audience members there?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 17/02/2023 at 7:05 PM, SilverTrumpet said:

Oh shoot. I forgot I have tickets to this concert. 

Give them to me.  Problem solved!

Hmm I have to say this wording is a bit concerning: "On April 25, Ken-David Masur conducts the New York Philharmonic in a night of Williams’s most popular music, with the composer himself sharing the podium."

Hopefully this doesn't mean Masur will be conducting most of it.

----

In fact, the title used to be "Williams Conducts Williams" and now is "Celebrating John Williams." Welp... Hopefully just a stylistic change but...

39 minutes ago, Will said:

Hopefully this doesn't mean Masur will be conducting most of it.

I also hope that’s not the case! When tickets were sold it sounded like it would be only Williams but now it’s worded like Masur will be conducting for the majority of it. Nothing against the other guy but I planned a 1,200 mile trip to see Williams for the second time in my life. I’m sure there are others that this will be their only chance or one of their few chances to see Williams so hopefully it’s at least 50/50! 

But on the bright side, maybe this means it’ll be a little longer than it would be with just one conductor. And of course it’ll be great to see Williams conducting at all and with Spielberg being there! 

Yeah I'll be perfectly happy if Williams conducts the full second half and leaves the first half for Masur (which would be consistent with his practice at most concerts in the last decade). But if Masur does almost everything and JW only does encores, that would be a real letdown. Fingers crossed it's the former.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone and sorry for my English.

I'm a french fan of Mr Williams and i bought 2 ticket for the NY show a few month ago but unfortunatly i cant make this new york trip anymore..

So if everyone is interest i have 2 very good ticket ( Orchestra 4 front  B 117 -118 ) to sell.

Thank for your time and enjoy for all people who will assist to these performance

On 6/3/2023 at 4:36 AM, Guigui622 said:

Hello everyone and sorry for my English.

I'm a french fan of Mr Williams and i bought 2 ticket for the NY show a few month ago but unfortunatly i cant make this new york trip anymore..

So if everyone is interest i have 2 very good ticket ( Orchestra 4 front  B 117 -118 ) to sell.

Thank for your time and enjoy for all people who will assist to these performance

dm me

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone!

I come back here few week after my first post ( thank to the ghost buyer.... )

If someone is interest i have 2 tickets at the second raw for 300 usd ( for the 2 tickets).

Thank for your time and if you are interest you can pm me :)

On 03/04/2023 at 4:52 AM, Guigui622 said:

Hello everyone!

I come back here few week after my first post ( thank to the ghost buyer.... )

If someone is interest i have 2 tickets at the second raw for 300 usd ( for the 2 tickets).

Thank for your time and if you are interest you can pm me :)

Sent you a message

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. Didn't plan to come to this concert at first, but given how it might coincide with my flight back from Europe, I'm hoping for a ticket to become available for Tuesday night.

If anyone has a spare to sell, let me know! :)

2 hours ago, ReportTheClonesifYouCan said:

Hey everyone! Subbing with the Phil next week and got a little sneak peek into the roster for the concert. The program is as follows: 

Superman March (JW90 Edit) 

Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind 

Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra 

Dear Basketball (Hollywood Bowl Fix 2017) 

Star Wars Suite for Orchestra 

• Main Title
  • Princess Leia’s Theme
  • The Imperial March 
  • Yoda’s Theme
  • Throne Room & End Title 

Jaws (Fixes for N.Y. Phil Gala - 4/25/2023) 

Raiders Opening (with film edits 2018) v2 

• 1m2 The Cave
  • 1m3 The Rolling Ball 

Jurassic Park Montage 2019

Finale from E.T. (11m1-11m3, 11m4-12m1) (NY Phil Gala 2023 start at 11m3)

Theme from Schindler’s List
Raiders March (JR Edit 1 min 45 sec) 

Spielberg will be there to introduce the clips with orchestra and the concert will be filmed for the upcoming documentary on JW himself! 

Is this for real? That is awesome! Though, I was hoping for Helena’s Theme from Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny to be part of the repertoire.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

Is this for real? That is awesome! Though, I was hoping for Helena’s Theme from Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny to be part of the repertoire.

Maybe it’ll be an encore. 

2 hours ago, ReportTheClonesifYouCan said:

Hey everyone! Subbing with the Phil next week and got a little sneak peek into the roster for the concert. The program is as follows: 

• Main Title
  • Princess Leia’s Theme
  • The Imperial March 
  • Yoda’s Theme

• 1m2 The Cave
  • 1m3 The Rolling Ball 

Spielberg will be there to introduce the clips with orchestra and the concert will be filmed for the upcoming documentary on JW himself! 

Great! Now I can make myself a playlist for my flight tomorrow. 

10 hours ago, ReportTheClonesifYouCan said:

• Main Title
  • Princess Leia’s Theme
  • The Imperial March 
  • Yoda’s Theme

• 1m2 The Cave
  • 1m3 The Rolling Ball 

So I have updates: 

Spielberg is listed on the rosters as "host", and as such they are only doing The Throne Room instead of the entire suite due to dialogue/talking. The pieces to be played to film are: 

Superman March 

Dear Basketball 

Raiders Cave Sequence 

Jurassic Park 

Finale from E.T. 

Williams will unfortunately only be conducting the encores. Two are listed above (Schindler and Raiders March) and the third will be the obvious one. 

16 hours ago, ReportTheClonesifYouCan said:

• Main Title
  • Princess Leia’s Theme
  • The Imperial March 
  • Yoda’s Theme

• 1m2 The Cave
  • 1m3 The Rolling Ball 

"the upcoming documentary on JW himself"

Is this the one Spielberg was alluding to a couple of week ago?