John Williams conducts the New York Philharmonic, April 25, 2023

Ricard

That said, there is a chance that Spielberg will be filming/directing?

I have an image in my mind of Spielberg scurrying across the concert stage with a hand-held camera - as elegantly as Errol Flynn.

1 hour ago, ReportTheClonesifYouCan said:

I believe so! Our roster says "The portion of this concert conducted by John Williams will also be audio/video recorded for inclusion in a John Williams documentary, in accordance with the 'Documentaries' clause of the IMA" 

Dude, don't get yourself fired! 

On 19/4/2023 at 3:07 AM, Foxfan said:

Hi everyone. Didn't plan to come to this concert at first, but given how it might coincide with my flight back from Europe, I'm hoping for a ticket to become available for Tuesday night.

If anyone has a spare to sell, let me know! :)

A couple seats have just opened on the NYP’s site.

46 minutes ago, rpvee said:

A couple seats have just opened on the NYP’s site.

Yep I just bought one! :)

Who else is coming?

39 minutes ago, Will said:

Only the encores?! What?! I hope that isn’t true. When I bought tickets, the concert was literally called “Williams Conducts Williams.”

Yeah I guess there was a good reason for this...

On 19/02/2023 at 3:07 PM, Will said:

In fact, the title used to be "Williams Conducts Williams" and now is "Celebrating John Williams." Welp... Hopefully just a stylistic change but...

And wow, yeah those prices are way higher than Film Night.

1 hour ago, Will said:

Only the encores?! What?! I hope that isn’t true. When I bought tickets, the concert was literally called “Williams Conducts Williams.”

I of course understand if Williams can only conduct half, but to market a concert as “Williams Conducts Williams” and then have him conduct only 3 pieces would be extraordinary misleading and frustrating. The tickets weren’t cheap!

Be happy that he even conducts something at the age of 91!

Yeah definitely no way I’d miss it — just frustrating if, just a month after conducting a full concert in Chicago, he doesn’t even conduct half in New York. Disappointing to have looked forward to him conducting a full (or at least second half) concert and now, just days before, hearing he might be conducting almost none of it. Obviously I agree though that it’s a privilege to be able to see him conduct at all.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/darrynking/2023/04/17/a-celebration-of-film-composer-john-williams-with-the-new-york-philharmonic/

This article says Helena's Theme will be performed... If that's right, maybe there will be four encores? We can hope!

Ah, good catch! Let's wait to see the official program but I'm more optimistic now that JW will conduct a good chunk of the concert. (Since none of these pieces were listed on the program posted earlier in this thread.)

14 hours ago, Will said:

I of course understand if Williams can only conduct half, but to market a concert as “Williams Conducts Williams” and then have him conduct only 3 pieces would be extraordinary misleading and frustrating. The tickets weren’t cheap!

When he couldn't attend the London concert a few years ago, RAH offered a partial refund to those who still wanted to attend, and a full refund to those who wanted to cancel.

Maybe you can contact the venue and ask for a partial refund given the circumstances.

18 minutes ago, merrickdb said:

I sadly missed it 🤦‍♂️

I would keep checking throughout the day today and tomorrow just in case

21 minutes ago, merrickdb said:

I sadly missed it 🤦‍♂️

There is one available right now row U.

This concert would've been fun to go to, but I plan on trying to get tickets for the one in DC and I'm going to Film Night at Tanglewood. I hope all who goes gets lots of pictures and videos!

I forget - are all ticket holders eligible for the cocktail hour prior to the performance?  

Also - if you already hold a ticket you can add the newly announced after party for $350.

38 minutes ago, DangerMotif said:

I think it’s fair to assume she will play Helena’s theme and he isn’t just conducting the Encore

She is playing at Carnegie Hall tonight around the same time I think. 

Heading back to Lincoln Center as we speak. Anyone up for a JWFan pre-concert drink meetup?

Fun concert! Disappointed not to get Helena’s Theme in the encores (shocking that it wasn’t included given that AFAIK literally every other recent concert of his included it). But overall it was well done. Got chills during Dear Basketball and the ET finale live to picture.

1 hour ago, Foxfan said:

As a side note, did the Maestro get laser or cataract surgery? First time seeing him without glasses (apart from the photographs from his youth).

It looked like he wiped his nose a few times. I thought he had a cold or something, but I did notice the no glasses. It's usually the opposite when you're not feeling well.

Oh, the concert? That was one hell of a concert. When they introduced him and pointed in the audience, I noticed he was DIRECTLY below me! I'll have to upload the pictures tomorrow.