What is your opinion of Reunion from TROS?

artguy360

What is your opinion of Reunion from TROS?

I am kind of fascinated by Reunion from TROS. To me it's like SW fan service. The track runs through so many themes, classic and new. The whole track is up tempo and light and the different themes all have a levity to them. It all begins with powerful, heralding brass, then it goes into a who's who medley of themes from Luke's theme to the Force theme to Poe's theme to Yoda's b-part & a-part, to Rey's theme, to Luke & Leia, and finally the friendship theme. It's a themes on parade track, all with a lighter tone. To me it's weird to have a track that is basically a ton of themes back to back outside of end credits. And many of the themes don't correlate to what's on the screen like Yoda's theme and Luke & Leia. I don't know. It's a weird track.

What's your opinion of Reunion?

https://youtu.be/lXACbiZIl4M

I really love all the original material in it, from the opening march to the variations on the sequel themes, the final statement of the friendship theme soars. In general I love the "themes on parade" feel of it. 

Yoda's Theme and Luke & Leia, bizarre. I would love to know how they ended up in there. But just for its own sake I still kinda love how they flow musically. 

4 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I really love all the original material in it, from the opening march to the variations on the sequel themes, the final statement of the friendship theme soars. In general I love the "themes on parade" feel of it. 

Yoda's Theme and Luke & Leia, bizarre. I would love to know how they ended up in there. But just for its own sake I still kinda love how they flow musically. 

I think those three characters were present as force ghosts in one of the many versions of this movie. 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

I think those three characters were present as force ghosts in one of the many versions of this movie. 

I suppose it’s possible more than one version was recorded, but one of the documentaries shows Williams conducting this cue (9M3 Bows) with Maz giving Han’s medal to Chewie on his monitor as Yoda’s theme plays, same as in the film as released.

6 hours ago, Tom said:

Yeah, I am just speculating.  Maybe by that point, Williams didn't care all that much and liked how Yoda's theme sounded.  

Wouldn't be the first time he used Yoda's Theme without a hint of Yoda in the scene.

IDK, for me, it almost feels like material written for the end credits suite and then shoehorned in?

Yes, but Yoda, outside of being one of the many voices Rey hears, isn't even in the movie.  I don't think he has stretched it that far before.  

It is an appropriate ending for a completely messed up movie, for a messed up trilogy. The music seems almost completely unrelated to what goes on on screen. No Yoda. No Luke and Leia. Still the music on its own is great of course.

1 hour ago, Falstaft said:

Suffice it so say, I'd vastly prefer leitmotifs being heard in unexpected places than leitmotifs not being heard in expected places (cough cough).

Yeah, too bad JW didn't use any of Giacchino's themes.