Anyone have an old MIDI keyboard they no longer want?

Jay

I need some form of MIDI keyboard to help learn how to read and perform (rudimentarily!) music, but instead of buying a brand new keyboard I figured I'd see if anyone has one lying around they don't use anymore they'd be willing to depart with either for free for a reasonable fee - shipping on my, of course.

Let me know if you fall into this category and/or have any advice you can give me on what sort of beginner's keyboard I should pick up if no free ones present themselves.  Thanks!

If you can get the 88 key from @SilverTrumpet that would be good. I have a pretty new one, lots of bells and whistles, but it's a small portable 25-key one. 

Still, I could part with it if you'd want a portable option to learn on the go as well - I've since replaced it with my current 61 key version I write on.

Would it be easier to learn on an 88 key or a 61 key, or does that not make a difference? 

It really depends on what you're looking to do. If you actually want to perform some written music, probably a full 88 keys is better. Then you can hear the pitches as written and never have to leave out or rearrange any notes. But it's totally possible to just learn to read music on a small instrument. You might also think of what space you have for it and whether that's a factor as well.

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

Would it be easier to learn on an 88 key or a 61 key, or does that not make a difference? 

I went with 61 for space reasons only (needed it to slide away under my desk), I'd prefer a full 88, but I manage fine with the 61 - I use it all the time without any real issues.

The 25 key though was meant to be on the road... and I ended up never needing it, which I why I'm happy to part with it if you may find something very portable useful in your quest.

Still got my YPP-35 (70 keys), I had fun with it on my old computers, making it play some MIDI Files.

Now, I don't really use it anymore.

Yamaha YPP-35 Digital Piano - $100 (Rochester) | Musical Instruments |  Rochester, MN | Shoppok

I'd happily give you my M-Audio Keystation 88 if you weren't so friggin far away. It's old but solid.

Shame.

Yea, I hadn't really stopped and thought about how much shipping would be for something as large as this.

Maybe I should poke around my local Savers / Goodwills instead...

On 21/06/2022 at 1:27 PM, Jay said:

Yea, I hadn't really stopped and thought about how much shipping would be for something as large as this.

Could find something useful. I had a Goodwill keyboard that well for me for quite a few years - the only thing that got me to switch was space and that the Goodwill one had no MOD/Pitch wheels

6 hours ago, badbu said:

i have a Doepfer LMK and i love it. It's like a real piano keyboard.

Pretty sure he isnt looking for a 2,000 dollar keyboard ;)

On 21/06/2022 at 2:27 PM, Jay said:

Facebook Marketplace, too. 

Are you learning to become more of a performer or composer?

If it's the former, I would definitely go for a full length 88 weighted key model. More of an investment but the benefits will come sooner than you think.

For composition, you can get away with a smaller octave keyboard if you are focusing more on MIDI programming.

Neither! It will be an aid for learning how to read music. 

Well, and I suppose maybe making mockups of unreleased music too, perhaps, down the road

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

Neither! It will be an aid for learning how to read music. 

Well, and I suppose maybe making mockups of unreleased music too, perhaps, down the road

I think, at least for now, if you're mostly interested in learning, I'd go for just a standard digital keyboard. MIDI keyboards, as you probably know, don't make any sound by default; they need to be hooked up to a DAW which is where the sound comes from. Digital keyboards on the other hand of course have built-in instruments and usually speakers as well, so you don't need to have it wired up to your computer.

If you're really interested in eventually being able to make mock-ups, then yeah a MIDI keyboard would be necessary... but also you'd need to find yourself a good DAW!