James Horner's WILLOW (1988) - NEW! 2022 2-CD Intrada Records

Jay

On 24/06/2022 at 3:41 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

I had to manually adjust the volume in Goldsmith's CONGO, because the softer cues were so loud, as if they were action cues. IRRC the brackground noise was very noticeable because of that. After that, i always check the volume level of non mattessino intrada releases before creating itunes tracklists.

You have the Air Force One Deluxe Edition? That one is insane, like they just clicked on "normalize" for every cue. The cue "Empty Rooms" has two very loud orchestra beats in the middle, that's why the quieter rest of the piece is barely audible. To be fair, it is quite a common issue with film music releases.

On 24/06/2022 at 8:16 AM, publicist said:

I myself perform several listening passes to look for flaws. But no, Douglass Fake cannot be bothered to do that.

That is the thing that confused me the most about the recent flawed releases: The flaws were mostly very obvious - I spotted these infamous clicks on Extreme Prejudice during my first listen - so it seemed like there was no such thing as quality checks and listening passes.

1 hour ago, mahler3 said:

Doug and Roger from Intrada will be introducing one of the best unreleased moments as a world premiere tomorrow (Sunday) night at 7pm with me on Movie Magic

Can’t wait to share this with you and hope you can listen in.

E00BB39D-2568-4BA9-A258-764AB2B65A19.jpeg

Oh…no Mattessino then. Damn

Jay already confirmed it wasn’t.  I honestly can’t think of what score would be that big anymore.  Of course the last time there was similar prerelease hype it was LLL’s Planet of the Apes box, which was very not for me.

The only thing MV said about that boxset before it was announced was "it's a huge one worthy of our 500th release. So excited about this" 

7 hours ago, Andy said:

Then this was not the huge non-Williams project Matessino hinted at recently. 

We will need a bigger boat! 

All this talk of clicks in recent Intrada releases has me worried. Other than Extreme Prejudice and The Last Castle, are there any others that are simarly blighted?

8 hours ago, Andy said:

Before we get the expansion, let's have a trip down memory lane, shall we?

You forgot to post a photo of the longbox that my copy arrived in :D

11 minutes ago, mahler3 said:

It’s detriment free and sounds better than ever, so please have faith. You’ll hear specifics when Doug and Roger talk later on the show. If you can’t listen live I’ll post a link.

Chris Malone worked on restoring a particular cue and we all know that he is from the school of Mike Matessino excellence!

e4q2f0f022b51.png?auto=webp&s=63cff1ceaf

4 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

You forgot to post a photo of the longbox that my copy arrived in :D

I kept all my longboxes for decades, and then sold off all but a handful of them.  Sometimes I wish I hadn’t but it sort of is like hoarding if you don’t display it. 

Also they didnt have the direct session masters. They used the final mixes that Horner had made himself. Also something was mentioned that it was originaly a 2CD program?-I cant recall exactly.

Who wants to make a bet that the 20-second-long cue will turn-up in Intrada’s CD re-release 10 years later?

BTW, at what point in the movie is this cue?

It seems in recent years expanded scores always have something missing. Robin Hood,

3 minutes ago, SyncMan said:

Who wants to make a bet that the 20-second-long cue will turn-up in Intrada’s CD re-release 10 years later?

BTW, at what point in the movie is this cue?

Right after the Tavern Escape  and Chase

25 minutes ago, SyncMan said:

IF that somehow did happen, are you suggesting that Intrada has intentionally left off that cue this time so they can make more people double dip later? And if that cue turns up in the intervening 10 years, and Willow is due for a reissue (and able to be licensed again), would you not want it to then be included?

Yavar

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Is there any reason to think any alternates were recorded?

Considering that Omni has included alternates and even cues that weren't recorded in other releases, no.

Jay: so you have the Omni score for WIllow, but can't read music.  Do I have that correct?

I did not buy the Omni release, no.

The guy who put that book together posted his initial research into it (with the original reel/part numbers) on JWFan here, and the publicist listed the final titles used in the final book here.

4 minutes ago, bruckhorn said:

eidetic memory

Woah, never heard that term before.  I like it!

Who knew the originally recorded version of "The Island" was so long - there must be some music that was dialed out in the final film.  Awesome!