James Horner's WILLOW (1988) - NEW! 2022 2-CD Intrada Records

Jay

8 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Pretty sure that was Amblin, not Lucasfilm.

Yavar

I have seen online:

"Lucasfilm (uncredited)"

"The Land Before Time is a 1988 animated drama adventure film produced by Steven Spielberg's Amblin Entertaiment and Lucasfilm, released by Universal Studios "

Why did they crop madmartigan's hair out of the front cover? The entire poster would have fit (they could have cropped the red mist below if necessary...)

Is "Willow's theme" a recorded cue, or it is an edit of the end credits? I listened to it today...and the different sections were very noticeable... :/

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Is "Willow's theme" a recorded cue, or it is an edit of the end credits? I listened to it today...and the different sections were very noticeable... :/

On 29/06/2022 at 2:27 PM, Jay said:

I just figured out that "Willow's Theme" is not just extremely similar to the end credits - it's literally just an edit of the end credits!!

OST 6 Willow's Theme

• 0:00-2:44 = OST 8 Willow The Sorcerer 7:33-10:16
  • 2:44-2:45 = OST 8 Willow The Sorcerer 7:33-7:34 again
  • 2:45-3:08 = OST 8 Willow The Sorcerer 8:15-8:38 again
  • 3:08-end = OST 8 Willow The Sorcerer 10:42-11:27

How about that!  In all these years, I had no idea!!

So all along, the OST album only had 69 minutes of original score over 7 tracks, with 4 minutes of repeated material combined to make an 8th track.  Who knew?

Ok, thanks!

really the two newlin tracks are too long (repetition) the best part is in the finale that i think mixxes parts from both.

i would trade one minute from each for the tavern source… 🙃

On 02/07/2022 at 1:36 PM, Andy said:

Since the liner notes made such special mention of the players in the orchestra, why are they not listed in the booklet?  This is the LSO!  Seems like it should be in the booklet.  

I know for the AFM, the labels are required to post the player's list either in the booklet or on their website. I've seen both LLL and Intrada put them on their site instead of the booklet. 

Maybe the LSO works the same way. 

On 02/07/2022 at 1:36 PM, Andy said:

And why are all of the strange and unconventional instruments and players not listed on Intrada's online player listing?  

I know for AFM scores, the labels have to display what the AFM sent them without changes. A project I worked on recently included ochestrators in the list that I'd never heard of and aren't even on IMDB. But you just have to assume it's right. 

So maybe this is the official list in the LSO's eyes. 

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

A project I worked on recently included ochestrators in the list that I'd never heard of and aren't even on IMDB. But you just have to assume it's right. 

Goood, goooood!  

5 hours ago, TownerFan said:

There are musicians who swear to remember to have played on scores despite not being listed in the actual AFM records. There are gaps and inaccuracies in their archives as well, I guess.

There was at least one LA musician who swore to have played on a rejected Speed score by Jerry Goldsmith, which we know never happened. Maybe he confused it with something, maybe Jerry *did* a demo at some point (i highly doubt it), but i wouldn't believe everything on someone's word, either.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

There was at least one LA musician who swore to have played on a rejected Speed score by Jerry Goldsmith, which we know never happened. Maybe he confused it with something, maybe Jerry *did* a demo at some point (i highly doubt it), but i wouldn't believe everything on someone's word, either.

Oh, sure thing, especially those musicians who were literally playing in dozens of sessions for film, tv, record dates etc. within the same week. A lot of their memories can be faulty as well.

So, on first try I didn't like the OST that much, wasn't even interested to continue with the final 15 minutes after I had to stop for a while.

I gave the expansion a sample listen and liked it more! The new tracks and order vary it more, The Enchanted Forest and The Island especially, as well as Death Dogs early on. Would have loved more of these, unfortunately Sled Ride was kind of more of the same as the tracks after it. Generally my problem was that I didn't get that much of a strong narrative from it, all over I was waiting for developments or kickass Krull-like statements and variants of the adventure theme or Willow's theme but they barely showed up amidst nonthematic (excuse this word but) "filler" action barrage - I almost forgot about the latter one before the credits until it showed up somewhere in the giant track I think. I skipped the source cues, they're too much of the same and repetitive, one after another especially and weird to be placed right there as the second and third track stopping the program dead.

Still don't feel like I will buy this but I'm closer to listening again a few months or years down the line and it growing on me enough.

Does the sound quality show a significant improvement?- although I always though the OST album was well rounded soundwise.

24 minutes ago, Amer said:

Does the sound quality show a significant improvement?- although I always though the OST album was well rounded soundwise.

It seems to me that the previously released tracks sound the same, but the new tracks sound a little more detailed and louder.

I just removed Willow from my cart on ScreenArchive, I made the decision to let this limited edition run out. Then I'll get the 2nd edition, even if it takes 5 years to get one.

Go lemmings, fall into the trap, it’ll be without me. ;)

2 hours ago, FrankV said:

It seems to me that the previously released tracks sound the same, but the new tracks sound a little more detailed and louder.

No, they have the same profile and sound more detailed/crisp, with better separation of the instruments. It's not a 180 degree change, but it's clearly noticeable.

Haven't heard it yet but read the booklet while ripping the CDs. Very good liner notes, discussing Horner’s intrumentation his "musical history" reference approach, and theme development. Really enjoyed that.

I really like the cover artwork, much better than the original.

Karol

I haven't seen this mentioned it here nor in FSM forums...but i can't believe people dont hear it as how nitpicky are (we all) sometimes.

The track "Sled ride" has i think some pitch-speed issues, specially more noticeable at the 6:28 mark to end. This segment is partially present on the samples on the web site... I didnt' notice it at first but now everytime i hear the score i hear it more, i feel it is almost unlistenable.

Is this a mastering error? it does not comply with the description "mastered from original digital stereo mixes made by Shawn Murphy at the scoring sessions and beautifully preserved by engineer Simon Rhodes"

Can this be manually corrected like the Temple of doom tracks from the concord set?

On 02/07/2022 at 5:34 PM, Andy said:

Well, I'm not really sure what's left to be said about Horner, and it's only my opinion, but he was a hack because of how shamelessly he borrowed from others and himself.  (nothing new there). He was a genius because of how he made it not matter.  He was so courageous with how he scored.  He had a way of putting it out there and swinging for the fences, without shame, without restraint.  And most of the time, it worked perfectly for the film, and the emotions of the listener.  So while he drew his inspiration in ways that weren't original, he somehow created an original "Horner" sound.  You know his scores when you hear them, and he really didn't seem to care if you noticed his cyclical quoting or not.  Right up until the end, you could hear bits of Star Trek II in The Amazing Spider-Man.  And we loved him anyways.  The guy had balls, and talent, but I think he was able to craft a sound that resonated with most audiences.  And that's why he was a genius.  Because there are plenty of composers who use temp tracks, or quote ideas from others, but none of them come out as endearing and surprisingly emotive as Horner.  I'm having a tough time articulating it, and that's precisely what I mean... He was able to reuse and recycle and yet come up with something indescribable, compelling, and often critic-proof.

Thanks for this writeup, you articulated the whole situation very well. It's true that a lot of Horner's borrowing still somehow feels like it belongs in a Horner score. It somehow doesn't break that special magic you get with his writing.

Or they borrow  from Williams, Barry, Bernstein, Goldsmith, etc. etc.  I think each subsequent generation is inspired by the previous one, and has an established sytem and vocabulary of cinematic sound from which to draw.   Sort of how Williams was a student of Golden Age and Herrmann.  A composer today has grown up with a lot of preconceptions and idioms that are themselves influenced by classical or early film. 

@Tom Guernseysaid it well. A photocopy of a photocopy. 

Karol, I like your assessment of Willow having distinct sounds for part 1 and part 2.  I’m really enjoying this expansion. I guess it’s been a long time since I listened to Willow. It’s got some wonderful complexity to it.   I have every note of Wrath of Khan memorized, but Willow is much more challenging and exploratory. 

I just watched the film for the first time so I experienced the score the way most fans did back in the day.

The film itself is dreadful.

No need to go into detail.

I like the score. It's part of a quadrology of excellent  adventure scores that also includes STII STIII, KRULL, which share a similar musical sound.

I haven't seen KRULL but I find the score much more interesting.

WILLOW is a bit too conventional.

Like the director.

On 7/7/2022 at 4:11 AM, Luke Skywalker said:

I haven't seen this mentioned it here nor in FSM forums...but i can't believe people dont hear it as how nitpicky are (we all) sometimes.

The track "Sled ride" has i think some pitch-speed issues, specially more noticeable at the 6:28 mark to end. This segment is partially present on the samples on the web site... I didnt' notice it at first but now everytime i hear the score i hear it more, i feel it is almost unlistenable.

Is this a mastering error? it does not comply with the description "mastered from original digital stereo mixes made by Shawn Murphy at the scoring sessions and beautifully preserved by engineer Simon Rhodes"

Can this be manually corrected like the Temple of doom tracks from the concord set?

My copy of the CD won't arrive for another few days, so I won't be able to confirm until then, but I would be very disappointed if this were a real issue. You mentioned that this segment of music is present on the website sample for the "Sled Ride" track. Could you provide a timecode for that?

2 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

It's part of a quadrology of excellent  adventure scores that also includes STII STIII, KRULL, which share a similar musical sound.

And Battle Beyond the Stars too, right? It was the score that originated that sound.

On 06/07/2022 at 10:41 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

Is this a mastering error?

I recall reading or hearing them say that, although most of the material was in excellent condition, there were some stuff that were damaged, which they supposedly "fixed". Perhaps this cue is one of those and the issue you mentioned is just a remnant of that damage - i.e. something that they were not able to address for now, if not part of their solution to save the cue as a whole from a much bigger problem.

4 hours ago, Trope said:

My copy of the CD won't arrive for another few days, so I won't be able to confirm until then, but I would be very disappointed if this were a real issue. You mentioned that this segment of music is present on the website sample for the "Sled Ride" track. Could you provide a timecode for that?

The whole segment is already in the noticeable part. Listen to the brass. It has a wavy sound that goes up and down in pitch. I think it is more noticeable around 0,28 secs and towards the en of the sample.

28 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

The whole segment is already in the noticeable part. Listen to the brass. It has a wavy sound that goes up and down in pitch. I think it is more noticeable around 0,28 secs and towards the en of the sample.

I just realised it was silly to ask for a timecode as the Intrada samples don't have a playback scrolling option... Regardless, I honestly can't pick up anything that sounded off with the track sample (even with headphones on!). I believe you when you say there might be a mastering issue (I'm sure you're not hearing nothing), but I genuinely can't hear it. Perhaps it could just be some of the brass players' intonation not being 100% perfect?

2 hours ago, Trope said:

I honestly can't pick up anything that sounded off with the track sample (even with headphones on!)

Same for me. I listened to the track several times now and to me it sounds fine. But honestly, it's not really my intention to painstakingly look for flaws since I enjoy this release and want to keep it that way :)

It must be me really then. I found it at second listening, i was not trying to find flaws at all. I find the whole cue different sounding from the rest, im not speaking about a small glich or blip, that would be nitpicking. 

20220630_134756~3.jpg

7 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

It must be me really then. I found it at second listening, i was not trying to find flaws at all. I find the whole cue different sounding from the rest, im not speaking about a small glich or blip, that would be nitpicking. 

Didn't expect to use this meme so soon!

😉