What are your non-Williams film score holy grails now?

Jay

15 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Corellian2019, have you heard the rerecording of THE BOUNTY?

I think I listened to a few samples when it first came out, and didn't bother to listen to more because it couldn't match the original

Another one I forgot. Not quite a holy grail, but I'd definitely pick up a copy of Kamen's expanded Die Harder if someone were to re-release it. And I wouldn't mind a re-release of the expanded Spaceballs either.

So if I were to summarize my current non-Wiliams Holly Grails, it would be:

• Thomas Newman - An expansion of Fried Green Tomatoes
  • Alan Silvestri - A reprint/reissue of The Abyss Deluxe Edition
  • Jerry Goldsmith - A reprint/reissue of The Haunting Deluxe Edition
  • Jerry Goldsmith - A reprint/reissue of Gremlins 2:  The New Batch
  • James Horner - A reprint/reissue of The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas
  • James Horner - A reprint/reissue of Something Wicked This Way Comes
  • Danny Elfman - A reprint/reissue of Good Will Hunting
  • James Newton Howard - A reprint/reissue of The Last Airbender
  • Bernard Herrmann/Joel McNeely - A reprint/reissue of North By Northwest: The Complete Score

I think if I were to pare my 30 listed above down to only 10, and rank them, it would be

1. Earth Star Voyager (Schifrin)
  2. The Lord of the Rings (Shore)
  3. The Hobbit (Shore)
  4. The Fifth Element (Serra)
  5. Tomorrow Never Dies (Arnold)
  6. Speed 2: Cruise Control (Mancina)
  7. The Nightmare Before Christmas (Elfman)
  8. ALIAS Seasons 4-5 (Tilton)
  9. Alcatraz (Tilton and Datzman)
  10. LOST (Giacchino)

These are all scores where I've made an effort to grab the unreleased music from the films / episodes and listen even with sound effects because the music is so good and I really want to hear it.  I've listened to my album of Earth Star Voyager probably 30-40 times already!

All the stuff I recorded onto cassette when I was a kid just to hear the music - Predator, Die Hard With A Vengeance, The Goonies, The Abyss, Stargate, Willow, Rocketeer, etc, etc -  have now all been tended to by the specialty labels, it's really quite incredible when I think back about it!

Most of what I have left after 25 amazing years of specialty label purchases is so unlikely to ever actually come out, but I'll never give up hope anyway :)

Music - there can be only one: Highlander

After all these years, I ain't holding my breath for it.  Too many damn lawyers and too complex publishing rights involved.

Sheet Music - complete full orchestral scores to Kamen's Concerto for Saxophone and Concerto for Electric Guitar, Rock Band, and Orchestra.

Re-recording: David Raksin's The Redeemer.  When I heard it the first time, I went home and composed all night.  I wanted to write something like it.  I'd love to hear a clear, crisp recording.

The others I'd love to pickup, I figure will be released in time or the composer has stated an aversion to having it released.

On 24/6/2022 at 8:00 AM, mstrox said:

Mostly a boatload of Elfman premieres and expansions.

I was unspecific about this last week, but The Family Man definitely floats to the top.  Some of it has been stuck in my head for the last few days.

I am sure there are loads I could come up with, but a few off the top of my head are:

The Outlaw Josey Wales (Jerry Fielding)

Hell in the Pacific, The Manitou, Prime Cut, Charley Varrick and Starsky and Hutch (Lalo Schifrin)

Flight of the Navigator (Alan Silvestri)

Terror Out of the Sky (William Goldstein)

Day of the Triffids (Christopher Gunning)

Airport 1975 (John Cacavas)

At the Earth's Core (Mike Vickers)

I would also love to have a good re-recording of David Raksin's "The Bad and the Beautiful".

The whole score is gorgeous, including the songs. But the original album sounds quite aged.

That would really be a holy grail for me.

7 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I would also love to have a good re-recording of David Raksin's "The Bad and the Beautiful".

The whole score is gorgeous, including the songs. But the original album sounds quite aged.

That would really be a holy grail for me.

Didn't Gerhardt/RCA rerecord this?

28 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I’ll take it!

Yavar

No.

You won't!

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Didn't Gerhardt/RCA rerecord this?

I thought, he just recorded a suite. But I might be wrong. Then a re-issue would be good.

Edit: Checked it. Yes, it's a suite. So, my wish is still open. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 29/06/2022 at 9:22 PM, Edmilson said:

Another Holy Grail that I forgot: James Horner's The New World.

The OST and FYC already have much of the score, but there's a minor cue that wasn't in neither of those releases which I'd love to hear.

I had the promo for a while but I realised I wasn't listening to it. I've never seen the film so I'm of the Thor mentality here - the album is a superb listen.

There is so much to listen to in my current collection, so much new stuff to sample, so much old stuff to explore and so on, that my desire for any particular archival title isn't that great. But it would have to be something completely unreleased, of course, I have zero interest in expansions. And within that, anything completely unreleased by Williams, Elfman and Goldenthal, all of whom I am a completist.

Beyond that, not that much. Maybe Faltermeyer's TOP GUN, but for the moment I'm pleased with an excellent-sounding boot of that; will work fine temporarily. I'm kinda surprised they didn't use MAVERICK as an opportunity to release it, but I know that LLL has tried and run into all kinds of hurdles. Hopefully some day.

A remastered David Shire's 2010 would be most welcome.

Silly song by that bloke from The Police, not required.

I would absolutely love to have a proper C&C of DUNE, with wow and flutter corrected.

Maybe, for the 40th anniversary...

On 16/11/2022 at 10:59 PM, filmmusic said:

The ones I can think of at the top of my head are a couple of TV animation scores:

Ducktales (Ron Jones)

Thundercats (Bernard Hoffer)

The music for season 1 of Thundercats has thankfully made it's way online, but like you I would welcome an official release. With Lalaland releasing a soundtrack for the 2012 version and doing He-man, I wonder if they would tackle this someday?

Didn't get a score album:

A Series of Unfortunate Events (Jim Dooley, James Newton Howard and Chris Bacon)

Anthonsen (Kim Larsen)

Blackadder (every series and special by Howard Goodall)

Columbo (Dick DeBenedictis, Berrnardo Segall, Patrick Williams, Billy Goldenberg, Gil Mellé, John Cacavas, Oliverrr Nelson, James Di Pasquale, Steeve Dorff and various others - just give me everything!)

Cracker (Roger Jackson, Julian Wastall, David Ferguson and Rick Wentworth)

Desperate Housewives (Steve Jablonsky)

Distand Voices, Still Lives (although I'm not sure how this could be done)

Emil i Lönneberga (Georg Riedel - only songs have been released)

House of CardsTo Play the King and The Final Cut (Jim Parker)

Huset på Christianshavn (Steen Holkenov and Bent Fabricius-Bjerre)

Maigret (Samuel Sim)

Matador (Bent Fabricius-Bjerre)

Mr. Bean (Howard Goodall)

Mr. Bean's Holiday (Howard Goodall)

Olsen-banden ser rødtOlsen-banden deruda'Olsen-bbanden går i krigOlsen-banden overgiver sig aldrigOlsen-bandens flugt - over plankeværketOlsen-banden over alle bjerge! and Olsen-bandens sidste stik (Bent Fabricius-Bjerre)

Pippi Långstrump (Georg Riedel and Jan Johansson - same as Emil)

Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed (David Newman)

The Casual Vacancy (Sololmon Grey)

The Keepers (Blake Neely)

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (Buddy Baker)

The Scooby-Doo Show (Hoyt Curtin)

The Sword in the Stone (George Bruns)

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Jeff Richmond)

Wallace and Gromit (the short films by Julian Nott)

Woody Allen: A Documentary (Benson Taylor)

Has a score album, but would love a complete edition:

30 Rock (Jeff Richmond)

A Series of Unfortunate Events (Thomas Newman)

Harry Potter (Patrick Doyle, Nicholas Hooper and Alexandre Desplat)

India Song (Carlos D'Alessio)

Johnny English (Edward Shearmur)

Midsomer Murders (Jim Parker)

Pirates of the Caribbbean: Dead Man's Chest (Hans Zimmer)

Poirot (everything from 1989-2004 by Christopher Gunning, Richard Newson and Fiachra Trench)

The Hobbit Trilogy (Howard Shore)

I'm sure I forgot a bunch...

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ooof, that's a heartbreaking list, so many of those seem so unlikely for the labels to tackle :(

Yeah, I know...

But I guess my list is pretty obscure simply because most scores have had decent releases by now, which is great!

25 minutes ago, DeltaPupJux said:

I like to see an expansion for Horner’s Deep Impact. I wonder if HR still holds the rights... 

Deep Impact is one of my most coveted Holy Grails, alongside much of Horner's late 90s scores like The Mask of the Zorro, The Perfect Storm, etc.

9 hours ago, Once said:

Didn't get a score album:

A Series of Unfortunate Events (Jim Dooley, James Newton Howard and Chris Bacon)

Jim Dooley uploaded an extensive list of his work of this series on his youtube channel (not sure if it is complete for his part) 

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Deep Impact is one of my most coveted Holy Grails, alongside much of Horner's late 90s scores like The Mask of the Zorro, The Perfect Storm, etc.

The Perfect Storm, yes absolutely. I need a complete version of that score in my life.

14 hours ago, Andy said:

What the Devil is the hold up with a proper remastering of Supergirl?

@Yavar Moradi? Any thoughts on this one?

I uh… personally don’t like Supergirl much? 😉 Sorry… I guess it’s possible a new edition might change my mind.

11 hours ago, DeltaPupJux said:

Medicine Man

Leviathan

both Goldsmith titles that could definitely use an expansion. 

Yeah these are two expansions I’m really pining for…

Yavar

An expanded edition of Danny Elfman's  Midnight Run 

A score release of Alan Silvestri's American Anthem

An expansion of James Horner's Sneakers

Basil Poledouris' Amazons

Bruce Broughton's Sweet Liberty

Alf Clausen's Number One With A Bullet

Brad Fiedel's Under Siege

Pino Donaggio's The Fifth Missile

Mike Post's Running Brave

Mark Mancina's Fair Game (Ideally with Michael Kamen's rejected score)

Joel McNeely's score for the Dark Angel pilot.

A set of Hawaii Five-O music.

Wow, I think this moment is the first I ever pondered the fact that of course Alf Clausen scored things besides The Simpsons

On 19/11/2022 at 12:07 AM, Jaaaackified said:

Jim Dooley uploaded an extensive list of his work of this series on his youtube channel (not sure if it is complete for his part) 

Oh man, that'd be a goldmine if I'd actually noticed and liked the music in the show. I watched it all the way to the end, but while the show was pretty good the score almost never stood out to me. A few tracks I sampled didn't really do much.

Does make you wonder how many otherwise totally unreleased scores are lurking on YT/Soundcloud from composers who know their work would otherwise never get release. I found an entire 17-minute score from some national park documentary on Soundcloud. I wonder whether there's crap to go through to release a score 'officially' on streaming/downloading/Spotify that doesn't apply to YT/SC (especially if there's no orchestra to pay).

40 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Oh man, that'd be a goldmine if I'd actually noticed and liked the music in the show. I watched it all the way to the end, but while the show was pretty good the score almost never stood out to me. A few tracks I sampled didn't really do much.

Does make you wonder how many otherwise totally unreleased scores are lurking on YT/Soundcloud from composers who know their work would otherwise never get release. I found an entire 17-minute score from some national park documentary on Soundcloud. I wonder whether there's crap to go through to release a score 'officially' on streaming/downloading/Spotify that doesn't apply to YT/SC (especially if there's no orchestra to pay).

I do notice a phenomenon that composers frequently working in video game industry are somehow willing to upload their unreleased scores on YT/soundcloud. 

For example, Jason Graves has a list of nearly 3 hours of unreleased cues from his Tomb Raider game on his Souncloud. On his TY channel there is music from every episode of Swamp Thing he worked on (he picked up the composing duty after Brian Tyler composing for the pilot). 

-Premieres:

Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo (1977) [Frank De Vol] (It probably goes without saying that if Disney does this one, the other Herbie movies will be done, too, but it's mainly this one that I consider a grail.)

Cubix: Robots For Everyone (2001-2003) [John Loeffler/Rave Music]

-Premiere Expansions:

Pokemon: The First Movie (1999) [John Loeffler/Rave Music]

-Revisited Expansions:

Secret Of NIMH (1982) [Goldsmith] (Either from recovered elements or as a full re-recording)

19 minutes ago, ThePenitentMan1 said:

-Revisited Expansions:

Secret Of NIMH (1982) [Goldsmith] (Either from recovered elements or as a full re-recording)

What is wrong with the previous expansion? Or it's not complete?

48 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

What is wrong with the previous expansion? Or it's not complete?

They didn’t find the complete original tapes. As with their In Harm’s Way expansion around the same time, that Intrada expansion only added one cue (though a great one!) over the original album, and they were able to do that because it was included on the first generation album masters since it was being considering for inclusion on that original album.

Yavar

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/06/2022 at 4:15 PM, Jay said:

Tomorrow Never Dies (Arnold)

On 23/06/2022 at 6:24 PM, A. A. Ron said:

Tomorrow Never Dies (Arnold)

On 24/06/2022 at 2:39 AM, JNHFan2000 said:

Tomorrow Never Dies - David Arnold

On 24/06/2022 at 12:52 PM, Anthony said:

Tomorrow Never Dies - David Arnold

Fulfilled!