What are your non-Williams film score holy grails now in 2022?

Jay

15 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Corellian2019, have you heard the rerecording of THE BOUNTY?

I think I listened to a few samples when it first came out, and didn't bother to listen to more because it couldn't match the original

Another one I forgot. Not quite a holy grail, but I'd definitely pick up a copy of Kamen's expanded Die Harder if someone were to re-release it. And I wouldn't mind a re-release of the expanded Spaceballs either.

So if I were to summarize my current non-Wiliams Holly Grails, it would be:

• Thomas Newman - An expansion of Fried Green Tomatoes
  • Alan Silvestri - A reprint/reissue of The Abyss Deluxe Edition
  • Jerry Goldsmith - A reprint/reissue of The Haunting Deluxe Edition
  • Jerry Goldsmith - A reprint/reissue of Gremlins 2:  The New Batch
  • James Horner - A reprint/reissue of The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas
  • James Horner - A reprint/reissue of Something Wicked This Way Comes
  • Danny Elfman - A reprint/reissue of Good Will Hunting
  • James Newton Howard - A reprint/reissue of The Last Airbender
  • Bernard Herrmann/Joel McNeely - A reprint/reissue of North By Northwest: The Complete Score

I think if I were to pare my 30 listed above down to only 10, and rank them, it would be

1. Earth Star Voyager (Schifrin)
  2. The Lord of the Rings (Shore)
  3. The Hobbit (Shore)
  4. The Fifth Element (Serra)
  5. Tomorrow Never Dies (Arnold)
  6. Speed 2: Cruise Control (Mancina)
  7. The Nightmare Before Christmas (Elfman)
  8. ALIAS Seasons 4-5 (Tilton)
  9. Alcatraz (Tilton and Datzman)
  10. LOST (Giacchino)

These are all scores where I've made an effort to grab the unreleased music from the films / episodes and listen even with sound effects because the music is so good and I really want to hear it.  I've listened to my album of Earth Star Voyager probably 30-40 times already!

All the stuff I recorded onto cassette when I was a kid just to hear the music - Predator, Die Hard With A Vengeance, The Goonies, The Abyss, Stargate, Willow, Rocketeer, etc, etc -  have now all been tended to by the specialty labels, it's really quite incredible when I think back about it!

Most of what I have left after 25 amazing years of specialty label purchases is so unlikely to ever actually come out, but I'll never give up hope anyway :)

Music - there can be only one: Highlander

After all these years, I ain't holding my breath for it.  Too many damn lawyers and too complex publishing rights involved.

Sheet Music - complete full orchestral scores to Kamen's Concerto for Saxophone and Concerto for Electric Guitar, Rock Band, and Orchestra.

Re-recording: David Raksin's The Redeemer.  When I heard it the first time, I went home and composed all night.  I wanted to write something like it.  I'd love to hear a clear, crisp recording.

The others I'd love to pickup, I figure will be released in time or the composer has stated an aversion to having it released.

On 24/6/2022 at 8:00 AM, mstrox said:

Mostly a boatload of Elfman premieres and expansions.

I was unspecific about this last week, but The Family Man definitely floats to the top.  Some of it has been stuck in my head for the last few days.

I am sure there are loads I could come up with, but a few off the top of my head are:

The Outlaw Josey Wales (Jerry Fielding)

Hell in the Pacific, The Manitou, Prime Cut, Charley Varrick and Starsky and Hutch (Lalo Schifrin)

Flight of the Navigator (Alan Silvestri)

Terror Out of the Sky (William Goldstein)

Day of the Triffids (Christopher Gunning)

Airport 1975 (John Cacavas)

At the Earth's Core (Mike Vickers)

9 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Good one. He wrote a ton of music that got rejected in the film. I want every note that he recorded for it!

Yavar

Ehh, that’s probably like 5 hours of music if The Thin Red Line is anything to go by. 

I would also love to have a good re-recording of David Raksin's "The Bad and the Beautiful".

The whole score is gorgeous, including the songs. But the original album sounds quite aged.

That would really be a holy grail for me.

7 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I would also love to have a good re-recording of David Raksin's "The Bad and the Beautiful".

The whole score is gorgeous, including the songs. But the original album sounds quite aged.

That would really be a holy grail for me.

Didn't Gerhardt/RCA rerecord this?

28 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I’ll take it!

Yavar

No.

You won't!

1 hour ago, bruce marshall said:

Didn't Gerhardt/RCA rerecord this?

I thought, he just recorded a suite. But I might be wrong. Then a re-issue would be good.

Edit: Checked it. Yes, it's a suite. So, my wish is still open. :)

• 2 weeks later...