Indy 5 to begin recording Tuesday morning!

rpvee

At the Kennedy Center just now, JW confirmed that he starts recording Indiana Jones 5 this Tuesday, June 28, at 10AM!!

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

No, so he had to bring in Holt to write the action cues.  

While Ross adapted all the cues with his new theme.

An entire year before the movie's release date... wow. 

I guess the recording sessions will be spread throughout the whole semester, like with the Star Wars sequels, right?

44 minutes ago, Andy said:

Did… did he have enough time to write it?  Seems like he just announced he’d begin writing. 

9 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

An entire year before the movie's release date... wow. 

I guess the recording sessions will be spread throughout the whole semester, like with the Star Wars sequels, right?

Yeah I'm guessing they're doing it like the sequels and they'll have a few sessions this year. Williams said he expects it'll take him into the fall, right? 

Mangold only started editing in early March so this seems like a very quick turnaround. Maybe he had some scenes already cut to give to JW. Or maybe JW is still writing.

I wonder if, given that this may likely be written over months, it may have some one-off pieces like Rise of Skywalker.  The Speeder Chase for example.  Or Anthem of Evil, which isn't really used much in the score of the film, as if one day John just had some time to tinker and liked it enough to record it.  

Whatever the case, I really hope the long game of scoring affords him plenty of time to give it the love and attention his final (?) film score deserves.

On 24/06/2022 at 10:02 PM, crumbs said:

He'll probably keep writing over the next few months while recording every few weeks, like the SW sequels (though I don't see them lasting until November like TROS did).

Can anyone explain why it was done that way for the sequels, and why it's being done similarly for Indy 5?  Is there a practical reason that the recording and writing is stretched out over a longer than usual period of time?  Is this by request of Williams, or is it because Mangold is editing slowly?  Just curious.

1 minute ago, Andy said:

Can anyone explain why it was done that way for the sequels, and why it's being done similarly for Indy 5?  Is there a practical reason that the recording and writing is stretched out over a longer than usual period of time?  Is this by request of Williams, or is it because Mangold is editing slowly?  Just curious.

Its not really stretched out, its just spaced out instead of all at once (though the flipside is that he might end up scoring things again later, if changes are made)

I don't think we have confimation that Indy is spaced out.  It might be, but it may just be this summer between concert gigs.

SW was another story and it was just VII and IX--JJ is JJ.  

1 hour ago, BrotherSound said:

TLJ was recorded over a pretty long span, too: December 2016–June 2017.

If my memory serves (and I could be wrong), I thought Williams conducted a suite of the themes in December (what Johnson called the highlight of highlights or such), but the main scoring sessions were later and mostly continuous.  

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

What all health problems does John Williams have? Must have a medical check-up before every new job? Do the producers want to know what his health status is before he starts a new job? It makes sense to me at his age.

Just think-in a year from now, we’ll be counting down the minutes to the last Indy movie. What are your thoughts on the OST being released before the premiere or the day of?

Lets hope they do this right this time  even if they dont take Mattesino's support. They will probably go with Shawn Murphy & his entourage redoing the whole thing his way.

Would've been a fun piece of trivia having 5 different recordists handling all 5 films though!

Murphy's a fine recordist but I hope this sounds a lot better than his recording for Indy 4. That might be one of my least favourite recordings/mixes, especially the oddly muted brass. It sounds weak, limited, compressed and just... off. As if everyone's playing a few steps beneath the correct register.

The mixing isn't great either, very soupy and lacking in clarity. The Raiders March on that OST is easily the weakest of the four scores.

It absolutely does! Didn't the acoustic in the room change after some renovation? In what year was that?

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

I think you guys are more excited about this than the players.

isn't JW's stuff rather difficult to play? (atleast something i've seen mentioned a few times in youtube comments)

but yes.....you may be right.

8 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I think you guys are more excited about this than the players.

Some, certainly. But don't underestimate the enthusiasm of some players. Even if they're perhaps not quite the über-fans many of us are, quite a few of them became musicians because they grew up with Williams's earlier works. And unlike us, they now get to *play* this stuff, and be a part of it.

51 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

"Honey.....why are you humming Short Rounds Theme??????"

"Ohhhh uhhhh....no reason...."

Even if you weren't recording a bit of Short Round's Theme, you are never in the wrong for humming it:lol: