Indy 5 to begin recording Tuesday morning!

rpvee

1 minute ago, Edmilson said:

More like:

"Honey, how the recording session with John Williams went today?"

"Mostly tedious, we just recorded some takes for some boring suspense cues of Indy sneaking out".

I bet they recorded the new themes first

51 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Williams extended an olive branch to Giacchino, allowing him to adapt the new theme in over a dozen cues, then shredded every page of music in front of the orchestra.

This is by far the funniest thing I have ever read on this site.

6 hours ago, Amer said:

Irony is that only a handful of operating staff, the musicians and the film makers attending are hearing the world premiere of the music from Indy V these days. Ain't that something?

That's not what irony is

1 hour ago, D_nev said:

The sessions this week are demo sessions I believe! 

What exactly is a demo when it comes to film scores?

4 hours ago, Brando said:

What exactly is a demo when it comes to film scores?

Recording a few themes and set piece, some against film, to see if they work or not. Only JW has the luxury of demoing this way with a full orchestra, but the purpose is the same as any demo I would assume. He'll get some feedback and rework the music if necessary is what I assume.

1 hour ago, artguy360 said:

Recording a few themes and set piece, some against film, to see if they work or not. Only JW has the luxury of demoing this way with a full orchestra, but the purpose is the same as any demo I would assume. He'll get some feedback and rework the music if necessary is what I assume.

That’s what I thought but wasn’t sure

56 minutes ago, Tom said:

Do we have concrete evidence that this is what the sessions are for or just pure speculation? 

I have no clue what the purpose of this session was or what was recorded, just commenting on what a "demo session" would be.

On 29/06/2022 at 9:43 PM, Andy said:

“So I said to Mangold, ‘James, I can’t score Indy 5. You need a better composer than I. Someone like Jacob Ceelasler’. 

And Mangold replied, ‘I know, but…’ “

ezgif.com-gif-maker(1).gif

23 hours ago, Alex said:

"Indy is a legacy character that Natalie hadn’t written a theme for because she was only 1 years old when Raiders came out. So she spoke to [Lucasfilm president] Kathleen Kennedy and said, “I just want to write Indy a theme.” So who can deny her that? And she did, she wrote the Indy theme, and it just embodies the spirit of the film entirely."
- John Williams, in an interview with Variety in May 2023.

Here's Natalie Holt's Indy theme!

Spoiler

Well JW has said he is starting to record the score but i think some of you are missing what might actually be happening here.

A trailer needs to go out attached to the summer films so i think thats what he may be recording at the moment for a couple of versions.

Whats the betting we will see this trailer out there in two weeks with snippets of the new score intermingled with the Indy march?

Methinks the main score as others have said will be spread across a few scoring sessions from now and into the autumn or fall as you call it

Well the trailer for Mission Impossible 7 Part 1 is out there and thats not released til July next year so why not one for Indy 5? Both are Paramount so i can see the logic

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Official Teaser was published a year before the premiere of the film. Indiana Jones 5 Official Teaser will be published at D23 in September...yes it's not Paramount anymore. 

JW's straight music isn't all that kosher for trailers these days.  I think he is just recording the score--maybe there will be more sessions in the fall as well, but these are for the end credits and scenes in the film.  

10 minutes ago, Darth Mulder said:

For TFA teaser he composed original music. It was nothing special, just preparation for the fanfare. I expect something similar now as well. 

Yes, but the return of SW was exceedingly momentous to the larger world, and he did not do it for the subsequent movies--this doesn't even come close.  If by "expect" you mean "high liklihood," I would disagree.  For the trailer, I expect, at best, JW 's previous Indy music not trailerized.  

Yeah, I see. Who really wants to see an old fashioned adventure movie with almost octogenarian leading actor? Even I have mixed feelings about all this. I'm afraid of a change in tone without Spielberg.

4 hours ago, Counterparts said:

God I am so not ready for a trailerized Raiders March.

It's gonna happen. And there's gonna be a trailer that only uses the first three notes and turns them into an epic calling card like they did with the Jurassic Park theme.

5 hours ago, Amvanquish said:

Well JW has said he is starting to record the score but i think some of you are missing what might actually be happening here.

A trailer needs to go out attached to the summer films so i think thats what he may be recording at the moment for a couple of versions.

Whats the betting we will see this trailer out there in two weeks with snippets of the new score intermingled with the Indy march?

Methinks the main score as others have said will be spread across a few scoring sessions from now and into the autumn or fall as you call it

I think this is expecting too much. 

15 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A silly question, I know, but...why record a score for a film that is over 12 months from it's release date? Why so soon?

Because the film can't stay in post production indefinitely waiting for a score to be recorded, if everything else is finished. Every day of post costs the studio money. 

The crew are only booked for a certain period of time and need to move onto other projects. 

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

Because the film can't stay in post production indefinitely waiting for a score to be recorded, if everything else is finished. Every day of post costs the studio money. 

The crew are only booked for a certain period of time and need to move onto other projects. 

10 hours ago, Darth Mulder said:

Because the composer and conductor is 90 years old. Production cannot wait.

So, it's nothing less than an insurance policy?