Indy 5 to begin recording Tuesday morning!

rpvee

He has often said that he doesn't listen to a score after it's been recorded, mixed, and added to the film. Why should he? He's moved on. I don't suppose that he cares about how the score is marketed and sold. It's the fans who insist that he revisit his most popular works.

Sometimes, I get the feeling that he'd rather be conducting his classical music, rather than churning out film score concert, after film score concert, ad infinitum.

Do you think someone has to remind him which theme to use where when he comes back to one of these series after so long?

For example, he can't remember what Across the Stars is from but he remembered Luke and Leia and the context after 34 years?

6 minutes ago, SilverTrumpet said:

Do you think someone has to remind him which theme to use where when he comes back to one of these series after so long?

For example, he can't remember what Across the Stars is from but he remembered Luke and Leia and the context after 34 years?

Im sure it could have been ryan johnson and jj abrahms to make him revisit the themes.

i’m sure nobody reminded him of ‘luke and leia’ during rots.

Well, and we know that he was given a temp track of SW music for TLJ. Johnson and team ostensibly used the track "Princess Leia's Theme" for her spacewalk and the track "Yoda's Theme"—I'm sure they also saw the track title "Luke and Leia" and thought, I wonder if that'll fit! (Fortunately, Williams got to stray further from his past arrangements for that one.)

Anyway, could anyone point me toward a DeRosa performance that would be a good example of the sound Williams likely had in mind?

I see some people being somewhat ambivalent towards John Williams devoting time to Indiana Jones V, saying he should do things that are original and new at his age and limited time.

I'm not one of these people.

Well, first, why would you assume Indy V isn't going to be original? It will be completely new music, it's the movie that has questionable vibes.

And secondly, I would rather have John Williams write a new Indiana Jones, than him devoting time to another one of Spielberg's newly found snoozeflicks, meandering away at subdued piano lines.

I want Williams to score big and bold movies because there is always a chance he will deliver another all time classic. 

70% of a wall-to-wall score would be what, 80 minutes? Assuming he might have to be ready by mid-September, and considering Williams's recent composition speeds, the interview must have been recorded at least a few weeks ago. #SpecializedNerdCommando

My guess is that he is finishing up writing this week and next, will have the Hollywood Bowl concerts, and then record over consecutive days thereafter.  

5 hours ago, Alex said:

I don’t know when the Classic FM interview was recorded but JW said he was 30% of the way through it and he’d be working on it through to September.

I think I read it was recorded in the spring. 

8 minutes ago, pete said:

I think I read it was recorded in the spring. 

This thread was started in June, when he announced at his 2nd or 3rd birthday party he'd be recording it the following week. Is that what you're referring to?

21 minutes ago, Brando said:

This thread was started in June, when he announced at his 2nd or 3rd birthday party he'd be recording it the following week. Is that what you're referring to?

The Classic FM interview 

26 minutes ago, pete said:

The Classic FM interview 

Oh oh, I was getting your comment confused with the recording of the score, not the interview haha

29 minutes ago, Brando said:

Oh oh, I was getting your comment confused with the recording of the score, not the interview haha

And I was wrong about the interview date ha.

6 hours ago, Tom said:

My guess is that he is finishing up writing this week and next, will have the Hollywood Bowl concerts, and then record over consecutive days thereafter.  

AFAIK, they kept the same template used for the Disney Star Wars films, i.e. a series of 2-day sessions staggered over a period of 3-4 months, so to give JW enough time to accomodate picture changes, etc. The first two sessions were done in late June and another two were done last week after he came back from Tanglewood. I presume another set is planned for September as well.

Would 6 days of double sessions (12 sessions in total) be sufficient to record an Indy score? 

Can't remember how much completed music he averages per session. Guessing somewhere between 10-15 minutes?

Curious to see if this film ends up having as many revisions/alternates as the Star Wars sequels... hopefully it's not another hatchet job like TROS. 

You'd think that JW will have had to have written a lot of original music for this film, considering when the film is set and the apparent lack of any characters from previous films.

8 hours ago, crumbs said:

Would 6 days of double sessions (12 sessions in total) be sufficient to record an Indy score? 

Can't remember how much completed music he averages per session. Guessing somewhere between 10-15 minutes?

Curious to see if this film ends up having as many revisions/alternates as the Star Wars sequels... hopefully it's not another hatchet job like TROS. 

Where are you getting 6 days of double sessions (12 total), from? Just thinking out loud, or did you get that somehow from @TownerFan's comment?

8 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

Where are you getting 6 days of double sessions (12 total), from? Just thinking out loud, or did you get that somehow from @TownerFan's comment?

Just extrapolating from what's been done in the past.

Seems unlikely they'd go to the trouble of bringing the crew and orchestra together for a single 3 hour session, then coming back the following day to do it again. More likely they'd knock off two sessions in a single day than consecutive days of single sessions, given the time and cost involved in rigging/renting the stage.

On 30/8/2022 at 4:14 PM, blondheim said:

Let him win for Fabelmanns! What a fairytale that would be

I wonder who his main competition at the Oscars might be.

Hildur has scored the new Todd Fields movie Tár that’s getting very positive buzz, I think that makes her possibly a front runner for a second nomination.

If the new Chazelle film Babylon comes out in December as planned, Hurwitz could be in there if the movie is well-received.

I doubt that Black Panther 2 could pull it off again in terms of Oscar noms, but I guess Goransson shouldn’t be counted out.

If Baumbach’s White Noise is really good, and the score is prominent, Elfman might manage his 5th nomination, that would be really cool.

They love to nominate Desplat, and his score for Del Toro’s Pinocchio seems like it could be a shoo-in

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Hildur has scored the new Todd Fields movie Tár that’s getting very positive buzz, I think that makes her possibly a front runner for a second nomination.

If the new Chazelle film Babylon comes out in December as planned, Hurwitz could be in there if the movie is well-received.

I doubt that Black Panther 2 could pull it off again in terms of Oscar noms, but I guess Goransson shouldn’t be counted out.

If Baumbach’s White Noise is really good, and the score is prominent, Elfman might manage his 5th nomination, that would be really cool.

They love to nominate Desplat, and his score for Del Toro’s Pinocchio seems like it could be a shoo-in

It doesn't matter the competition, after 30 years of losing to so many inferior scores, it is best to assume he will not win.   I know I am a fanboy, but the voting process is clearly a deeply irrational system.  

15 minutes ago, Tom said:

It doesn't matter the competition, after 30 years of losing to so many inferior scores, it is best to assume he will not win.   I know I am a fanboy, but the voting process is clearly a deeply irrational system.  

War Horse and The Book Thief were his last true snubs.

36 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I've been curious about the same thing. These are all excellent guesses. I'm very curious to hear the Elfman and Desplat efforts. They both sound like promising projects.

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I enjoy following the Oscars like a sport, and stopped getting emotionally invested in it beyond just enjoying the drama and upsets and such.

War Horse not winning actually ended all my emotional investment with the awards.