Indy 5 to begin recording Tuesday morning!

rpvee

Just now, Tom said:

Memoirs did it for me.  

Would you believe in 2005 I only knew of John Williams because of Indy, star wars and e.t.??

But yeah that would have done it for me as well.

Actually if we're talking all time. Raiders is still technically his biggest Oscars snub.

Awards, schmawards. We know how good his music is, and he's already been nominated for Oscars more times than anyone else alive. But if they're your thing I imagine after his last two films are released he'll finally get the Lifetime Achievement Oscar, delivered by Spielberg himself.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I wonder who his main competition at the Oscars might be.

Hildur has scored the new Todd Fields movie Tár that’s getting very positive buzz, I think that makes her possibly a front runner for a second nomination.

If the new Chazelle film Babylon comes out in December as planned, Hurwitz could be in there if the movie is well-received.

I doubt that Black Panther 2 could pull it off again in terms of Oscar noms, but I guess Goransson shouldn’t be counted out.

If Baumbach’s White Noise is really good, and the score is prominent, Elfman might manage his 5th nomination, that would be really cool.

They love to nominate Desplat, and his score for Del Toro’s Pinocchio seems like it could be a shoo-in

Unless Bernard Herrmann or John Barry come back to life JW should win for every score that he does. Sadly the Best Score award never goes to the best score

10 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I think Empire Strikes Back losing to Michael Gore's Fame was JW's biggest snub ever. 

Yeah you're right too. But didn't the academy have some sort of unwritten rule about sequels?

3 minutes ago, Bellosh said:

Yeah you're right too. But didn't the academy have some sort of unwritten rule about sequels?

I think they probably didn't want a Star Wars movie to win again after ANH's victory in 1978. Still, Gore's victory was ridiculous. I never watched this Fame, but from what I know the movie is a musical, with a lot of songs and little underscore. So the Academy gave the award only because they liked the songs, which is very common (see The Little Mermaid in 89)

10 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

... and it's a good job that they don't. 

Jerry could/should have picked up at least 5 Oscars™ in his career. Instead, he got a measly 1. Oh, the humanity!

I guess one could argue that awards do matter in that they might've made Jerry Goldsmith a household name.  I shake my head listening to young film enthusiast podcasts discuss the greatest film composers and no mention of Jerry.  Perhaps if he'd had more than one statue.

I really don't think it's the awards that made JW or would have made JG a household name.  JW got connected with the most successful directors and series of their time, Jerry did not.  Not a little bit of luck involved.

• 4 months later...
19 hours ago, crumbs said:

Disney had an Indy tribute at the Disney Chinese Theater tonight, but this recording of the Raiders March sounds a bit different than the 4 film scores.

Could be from anywhere I guess.

I wondered why this was familiar. This is a section from Movie Magic, a nighttime show that is a tribute to Disney’s live action films. They started this show back in 2017, so the recording of Raiders March used there is not new.

Indiana Jones starts at 5:45 of the video and ends at 6:30.

I have been defending Mangold as truthful, but Williams saying he was scoring a reshot ending, Mangold having "no" idea what Williams could possible be talking about, and then this?  Why not just say "Williams misunderstood; he is rescoring a different scene" or such.

At the end of the day, it does not matter, except it being time better spent with. Williams working on something that he wanted to be working on by now.  No more JJ-like situations with this poor man.  

Edit: my new theory is Williams is recording music for a Super Bowl trailer.  One should note that this theory has a 100% chance of being wrong.  

15 minutes ago, Tom said:

If my theory is right that Williams recorded music for a new trailer (most likely connected to the super bowl), then there is a good chance it was due to Mangold's exchange with the twitter complaint about the music of the the first trailer.

How is that for a double hypothetical?  

What is your theory?

41 minutes ago, Tom said:

If my theory is right that Williams recorded music for a new trailer (most likely connected to the super bowl), then there is a good chance it was due to Mangold's exchange with the twitter complaint about the music of the the first trailer.

I'd love to be wrong, film directors often have little to no involvement with trailers and even less with the music selection. I especially doubt that a Twitter exchange would impact how the film is marketed.

I can see this being what’s going on, it would be rather random to record something so late. (Unless Marvel is connected to this, then it’s normal.)

1 hour ago, Tom said:

1 hour ago, LB Makes Stuff said:

I can see this being what’s going on, it would be rather random to record something so late. (Unless Marvel is connected to this, then it’s normal.)

That's it!  Williams is replacing Beck on ANT-MAN 3!!!  The Twitter comment inspired Mangold to take over reshoots for it, and he hired Williams to write a new score in three days!

31 minutes ago, igger6 said:

That's it!  Williams is replacing Beck on ANT-MAN 3!!!  The Twitter comment inspired Mangold to take over reshoots for it, and he hired Williams to write a new score in three days!

I was hoping Williams' first MCU score would be for an Avengers movie, not an Ant-Man sequel :(

Maybe Album version themes presentation only. I have a feeling the OST album might just have these as well as the trailer music like He did for HOOK.

Delusions of Grandeur...:P