Indy 5 to begin recording Tuesday morning!

rpvee

8 hours ago, Amer said:

Maybe Album version themes presentation only. I have a feeling the OST album might just have these as well as the trailer music like He did for HOOK.

Delusions of Grandeur...:P

Hey, if we are going to be deluded, we might as well go big.  

On 06/02/2023 at 4:42 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

Clickbait websites find this thread and post headlines saying "John Williams to Write Indiana Jones Trailer Music" and then everyone thinks the shitty trailer house music is actually John Williams 

Yes, but that's because you can clearly hear it's so ePiC, it must have been written by him!

Seems they may have still been recording as of Friday, unless audio engineer Ramiro Belgardt has another project very soon after, and also at Sony, which strikes me as not very likely.

This is from the Instagram of Mark Graham, head of Joann Kane Music Service:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cois1eFPJx-/

image.png

Note the musical quotation from Close Encounters on the sign.

What's the most time JW spent on recording a score - what's the biggest number of sessions he had for a single score and what's the longest time they were spread out over? Let's discount things like Victory Celebration. I'd imagine TROS and TFA have a good shot at both.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

What's the most time JW spent on recording a score - what's the biggest number of sessions he had for a single score and what's the longest time they were spread out over?

Tintin would have to be up there – he practically recorded the score twice, 18 months apart.

But it's crazy to think he's still recording Indy 5 in February 2023 when his early comments about 'returning to LA and starting the score' were in October 2021!

It's funny that despite the year-long delay, we're only 4 months out from release yet JW is still recording new music. Not even Crystal Skull had recording sessions that close to the release date; this is more in line with the Star Wars prequels, which recorded around 3-4 months before release.

I assumed the entire film would be locked months ago!

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

It's funny that despite the year-long delay, we're only 4 months out from release yet JW is still recording new music. Not even Crystal Skull had recording sessions that close to the release date; this is more in line with the Star Wars prequels, which recorded around 3-4 months before release.

I assumed the entire film would be locked months ago!

If we were four weeks from release and JW was still recording music, I'd wonder, but four months is ages away!

HGW says here (Kingdom of Heaven) that they're 4 weeks away from the final dub, and still recording and Scott still editing. Williams doing some final sessions to fix something third of a year away doesn't seem remotely newsworthy.

The specialty label expansions of Always and The Lost World revealed they were still recorded those scores weeks before those films opened

That's actually a fun idea for a thread... collecting all known info about the longest and shortest gaps from final cue recorded to film opening...

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

That's actually a fun idea for a thread... collecting all known info about the longest and shortest gaps from final cue recorded to film opening...

STTMP?

After watching all Indy films over the last couple of days. One of my biggest wishes fkr the score is that Williams uses his Nazi theme from The Last Crusade. It's sooooo good.

Same goes with The Russian theme in 4. I always love how Williams' secondary themes are so good and catchy

12 hours ago, Holko said:

I'd imagine TROS and TFA have a good shot at both.

Including the teaser and (unused) trailer, TFA was recorded on 14 days, with double sessions many days, for I total of (I think) 19 sessions.

November (teaser, exact date unknown)

4/12 (trailer)

6/1

6/4

6/6 (double)

6/22 (double)

6/24 (double)

8/30

9/1

9/30 (double)

10/12 (double)

10/28

11/8

11/14

TROS is known to have been recorded on 11 days, many (most? all?) of them doubles, from June to November 2019. So, it definitely wasn’t recorded over a longer span, but may have had more total sessions.

32 minutes ago, BrotherSound said:

Including the teaser and (unused) trailer, TFA was recorded on 14 days, with double sessions many days, for I total of (I think) 19 sessions.

November (teaser, exact date unknown)

4/12 (trailer)

6/1

6/4

6/6 (double)

6/22 (double)

6/24 (double)

8/30

9/1

9/30 (double)

10/12 (double)

10/28

11/8

11/14

TROS is known to have been recorded on 11 days, many (most? all?) of them doubles, from June to November 2019. So, it definitely wasn’t recorded over a longer span, but may have had more total sessions.

Pretty sure he was referring to the gap between last cue recorded, and the premiere of the film?

Edit: NVM

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

JW wrote and recorded most of the score for an early, unfinished version of the film (before WETA finished the VFX).

As post-production continued, the edit and animation changed and the early score presumably didn't fit the finalised renders. So JW came back and rescored this newer version of the film. He didn't score the film from scratch, but I'd guess most cues needed timing adjustments and new recordings.

Would be interesting to know how many cues from the early sessions made it through to the final cut.

Oh wow, that’s interesting. Wonder how that would work on an expansion?

9 hours ago, crumbs said:

I believe @BrotherSound has run the numbers on that!

Yep! It would likely be a packed 2-disc set, with the final score filling all of the first disc and roughly 20 minutes of the second, with the early versions filling the remainder of the second disc, about an hour’s worth.

Here’s a complete list of the OST tracks that don’t have an alternate, earlier version:

Marlinspike Hall

The Flight to Bagghar