Announcing BOSTON CALLING Video Event - Musicians of the BSO Celebrate JW

TownerFan

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

To prepare for tonight's premiere, I put down an overview of the 40+ years history between JW and the BSO/Boston Pops:

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2022/06/30/boston-calling-video/

See you in a couple of hours!

Nice story!

Just a few corrections: When Williams substituted for Fiedler at the Hollywood Bowl 1978, he conducted the LA Philharmonic not the Pops.

The first concert as principal conductor at Carnegie Hall was on January 22nd 1980.

Can't wait for the event!

This was a really wonderful conversation, and an excellent companion to the videos with the LA and LSO musicians! I really enjoyed hearing Richard Sebring's account of Tom Hanks reading the Bixby letter before the recording of SPR. It's one thing to read about such an occasion in liner notes, but it's brought all the more to life by first-hand accounts  — which is the real strength of all the interviews in your series. Similarly, it's great to hear musicians talking about how Williams writes for them: Ann Hobson Pilot's account of the harp concerto was very enlightening in that regard, particularly when she mentioned having to persuade JW into writing it. 

And the final montage of clips and videos of Williams in Boston capped it all off nicely! 

Looking forward to the next one already! Thank you so much for making and sharing these

@TownerFan, I was able to tune in live to just the first half or so, but I really loved it!! It was clear that the musicians enjoyed themselves and were genuinely happy to be reunited for the discussion.  I will hopefully be able to finish watching the remainder today.

It’s clear this took a lot of work and was put together by someone who really cares about the JW legacy.

I’ve enjoyed all the videos so far, but this one was particularly interesting. I especially liked the ‘Pops on the March’ montage.

Keep up the good work!

21 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Thank you all for the truly nice words! Very happy you appreciated!

P.S.: @80sFan, your profile pic is amazing! Which year that was?

Pretty sure it's the fall of 1983. I found out there was a rehearsal for a concert with the Houston Symphony and and skipped school to attend. Security was much different back then. I was able to speak with him on his way in.

On 02/07/2022 at 11:31 PM, Darth Mulder said:

Is that his second wife Samantha Winslow at 1:30:38 ? 

Yes.

21 hours ago, 80sFan said:

Pretty sure it's the fall of 1983. I found out there was a rehearsal for a concert with the Houston Symphony and and skipped school to attend. Security was much different back then. I was able to speak with him on his way in.

Such a fantastic memento.